Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do freedom loving tea partiers want to throw away the 1st amendment?
Fear and xenophobia (some help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia) 38 61.29%
Other 24 38.71%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:56 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
No. You can overcome distrust by being open and transparent. People distrust Muslims because of what SOME of them did here on 9/11. (and one tried to do in Times Square around the time of the landmark hearings). It would be smart if this guy opened his books and showed exactly WHO is funding this project and HOW this money was obtained.

What is so hard about that to understand?
It would be smart, but its not going to happen. At least not at the moment. That shouldn't disqualify the builders from going forward with it though. See the reason in my previous post's last paragraph...

Quote:
Your putting a bit too much weight on this because even if it comes from reputable organizations that doesn't prove anything for you or anyone. It could turn bad whether or not it comes from a good or bad source and could end up being just a peaceful community center again whether or not it comes from a good or bad source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Do you not remember the GLOBAL MUSLIM outrage over the cartoons? Most people who open a newspaper or watch the news are aware of this. If you read the link I provided you would know this.
I did. And I said, "your point is?" and went on further with my response. So Muslims got pissed off because some guy drew a cartoon. So what? Keep the guy in jail who tried to kill him, but can't Muslims be pissed if they want to be? I don't see why they can't be.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
I did not just click the link..I actually read the article which I am now doubting that you even bothered to read. Again, I am asking for PROOF that they have Hebrew classes planned...it is not in your article. Until you
provide proof, I will consider the statement to be a lie.
You mean proof of it actually happening? Go to one of the classes at the center when its built, will that be proof enough for you? I don't know what dimension of proof your looking for at this point in the construction process of the community center. No one can really go there at the moment for the classes because the place isn't built yet, so if that is the only proof you are willing to accept you have to be patient and wait.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Blue: They didn't kill him. Danish police shoot man entering home of Mohammed cartoonist - Europe, World - The Independent And I know south park isn't all life is obviously, I'm not even that big of a fan of the show. But the south park/Muslim controversy is the most recent and it deals with the United States not a foreign country.

Red: I know that. I was asking about what community centers have become radicalized. You realize the difference right? Community center, open to the public from the beginning. Mosque, not always open to the public from the beginning. Makes it a bit easier to radicalize something without the masses wandering around doing what ever they want to do.

Bold: Drop the money thing. There is no proof that it has come from a good, non-violent organization, and there is no proof that it comes from a violent organization. Your putting a bit too much weight on this because even if it comes from reputable organizations that doesn't prove anything for you or anyone. It could turn bad whether or not it comes from a good or bad source and could end up being just a peaceful community center again whether or not it comes from a good or bad source.

Red: Most "mosques" I know in the NY area are officially titled Islamic cultural centers and they all say that they are open to all and want to be part of the community. Even the ones that eventually radicalize.

Bold: Lets say you are right and this will be a wonderful peaceful little Muslim YMCA. Why WOULDN"T you want your name associated with this? Wouldn't you want everyone to know that you are financially affiliated with such a wonderful program? I know I would if I was trying to change hearts and minds regarding the Muslim community in the WTC area. THat's what makes the unknown funding sources dangerous. It would be smart to disclose the funding.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yep, they're into symbolism big time.
Funny, that. Because the only people I see insisting this is highly symbolic are those who wish to stop the project.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:03 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
I did. And I said, "your point is?" and went on further with my response. So Muslims got pissed off because some guy drew a cartoon. So what? Keep the guy in jail who tried to kill him, but can't Muslims be pissed if they want to be? I don't see why they can't be.
My point is that three Danish embassies were attacked and over 50 people were killed because of these cartoons. That is a little more than "being pissed".

Old 07-26-2010, 10:06 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
You mean proof of it actually happening? Go to one of the classes at the center when its built, will that be proof enough for you? I don't know what dimension of proof your looking for at this point in the construction process of the community center. No one can really go there at the moment for the classes because the place isn't built yet, so if that is the only proof you are willing to accept you have to be patient and wait.
No, I am specifically asking for your source of information in print where they even state that they intend to offer Hebrew classes. Why are you avoiding answering my question when you have repeatedly stated it as fact?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:07 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Funny, that. Because the only people I see insisting this is highly symbolic are those who wish to stop the project.
Actually that is not funny if you think about it.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Red: Most "mosques" I know in the NY area are officially titled Islamic cultural centers and they all say that they are open to all and want to be part of the community. Even the ones that eventually radicalize.

Bold: Lets say you are right and this will be a wonderful peaceful little Muslim YMCA. Why WOULDN"T you want your name associated with this? Wouldn't you want everyone to know that you are financially affiliated with such a wonderful program? I know I would if I was trying to change hearts and minds regarding the Muslim community in the WTC area. THat's what makes the unknown funding sources dangerous. It would be smart to disclose the funding.
Red: First off could you specifically point to the "mosques" that radicalized in New York. Also they may be titled Islamic cultural centers but where they nothing but a Mosque? The reason I am saying this isn't the best type of place to radicalize is because if it is what they say it is, with the hebrew classes, pool, silent meditation room meant to reflect on the losses from 9/11, it just doesn't seem like the best place to radicalize something. Don't you think if they were going to radicalize it they wouldn't make it so appealing to the masses with the amenities they are offering? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you ask me.

Bold: Once again I agree it would be smart to disclose the funding but what I am saying is just because they aren't disclosing it, that should prevent them from continuing on with the building. The reason why I believe this was stated in my previous post when I explained that where the funding comes from doesn't mean a whole lot in the scheme of things.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:17 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
the founding fathers included the first amendment in order to avoid having the federal government adopt and compel Americans to observe a National religion. This was in response to the experience of England, and the church of England (Catholic Church).
The Church of England is the Catholic Church??? That'll come as a surprise to a few people, including Henry VIII, the Archbishop(s) of Canterbury and a succession of Popes.

Quote:
makes Islam an unlawful organization that should be banned nationwide, lest they reject such commands which fundamentalists would never do.
You are at least honest in your outspoken desire to completely ban a religion, something your fellow travelers seem unwilling to bring themselves to.

Quote:
How bout' that constitution ... it thought of everything, except being more deliberate in it's language so that liberals could better understand.
It's really, truly in the constitution, it's just that the language isn't deliberate enough. Mm-hmm. Call me jaded, but it seems to me that the Founders, what with being some of the greatest political thinkers to come out of the Enlightenment, knew quite well how to be deliberate when needed.

I'll just drop a link from a news source I think you're familiar with: Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines Constitution To Be | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies