Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Where have you been for the last 20-30 years? Seriously, I thought only my 90 year-old grandmother didn't know "Oriental" is an improper word... the people are Asian, the "things" are oriental (as in, oriental carpets & food). It's not necessarily a PC issue, just using the correct terminology according to the definitions.
why?? what is wrong with the word oriental?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:12 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
why?? what is wrong with the word oriental?
Oriental is an adjective, not a noun.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:30 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Russians, Turks, Iraqi, Pakistanis, are all Asians. I wasn't referring to them. But using the word "oriental", I 'm sure you all know who I am referring to, Japanese, Korean, Philipinos, Chinese, et.al.

Certainly many groups have been treated badly by other groups, but the time has come to get past those atrocities and move on into the American culture so that they can take advantages of all of the opportunities now available.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:54 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Are you kidding me?? Do you know anything about Jewish, Asian or European history?? I'm Jewish, and we have been slaves, we've been murdered by the millions, run out of countless countries, and YES discriminated against in the USA. I'm not trying to play the pity card, but since you brought it up, I had to respond... I'd never compare our hardships to those of other groups, but to say we "walked a red carpet" is ridiculous and inaccurate - to say the least.
Compared to what the Native Americans and Black Americans suffered and for the most part continue to suffer, despite the relative success, no other other group of people have suffered more. And that is an actual fact. Furthermore, the unfortunate atrocities of the Jewish people did not happen in this country, those actions occured in Germany and other European countries. The topic is about America, not Europe and Germany.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:59 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,951,905 times
Quote:
Oh, and regarding the Asian immigrants, they definitely weren't "embraced" and given an easy time here... the Chinese were brought over as indentured servants, mostly to assist gold miners & to build the railway. And of course, the Japanese were rounded up and put into internment camps during WWII. I wouldn't call that a red carpet either...
So what they were indentured servants...they weren't slaves...their entire population weren't practically wiped out like the Native Americans. Furthermore, please dispite how wrong it was please do not attempt to compare the relative brief time the Japanese were confined to interments to over 300 years of slavery and the destruction of practically the entire Native American population. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Nothing wrong with the "word", just what the PC'ers have turned our words into, to reign in our vocabulary to fit their agenda and keep us from dialogue. Oriental person, Oriental rug........white person, white rug. All too ridiculous.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:31 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Nothing wrong with the "word", just what the PC'ers have turned our words into, to reign in our vocabulary to fit their agenda and keep us from dialogue. Oriental person, Oriental rug........white person, white rug. All too ridiculous.
You really dont understand. It is just like calling a white person a "******" because of "****** tonk"(music). Other cultures may not know it is derogatory. It has nothing to do with being PC like you want it to. How is this so hard to understand? You dont know it's derogatory because you know jack s--- about the asian culture(or any other culture besides your own), cause remember, diversity sucks. Right?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 PM

14 posts, read 27,310 times
I find it amusing that my Korean-born wife refers to herself as oriental. I remarked to her the other day that she can't keep referring to herself as such because it's offensive to white liberals.

Old 06-26-2007, 02:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
My brother in law is purbred fillipino and I give him a bad time about eating my goats and leaving footprints on the toilet seat,he doesnt get all weirded out about it, we all just need to lighten up and laugh at ourselves ,stop being so damn hypersensitive! just be glad your part of the human RACE!

Old 06-26-2007, 07:30 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
The asian people I know also refer to themselves as "oriental", how dare they offend us! How can they do such a dastardly thing, don't they know they are WRONG. Don't the Native Americans, who call themselves INDIAN, know they are offensive to us!! Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies