U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:40 PM

1,179 posts, read 819,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I hear this all the time and I don't get the reasoning behind it. First of all, being nonreligious does not equate to being a left-winger and vice versa.

I'm am an atheist and a leftie (although not a liberal) and I am completely opposed to Islam (and religion in general really). Islam is a religion of hate. Sure, not every Muslim is a psychotic terrorist. It doesn't matter. Those who cling to the "moderate Muslim" title are considered infidels by their own religion. This is also true with fundamentalist Christianity, but in their defense (if it even really is a defense), their tactics aren't as extreme. Their ideology is just as bad as Islam's, but they don't act out on their beliefs the way radical Muslims do. Of course, there are exceptions (abortion clinic bombers, etc).

On the other hand, I am against profiling people of Arab descent. A person from the Middle East isn't automatically a Muslim and vice versa. This kind of profiling is not OK as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying you hate Roman Catholics and being prejudiced against Italians because you stereotype them all as being Catholic.

I felt like ranting, but now I don't, so uhhhhh...there you go.
It's not a very intellectually based argument is it? Wonder why that is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 11:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 10,279,516 times
I agree. I am sick of being label as a Islam lover.

I despise Islam. I hate it. It is a cancer on this world. I think Christianity is better.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,265,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
I'll just jump on in with my two bits;
Being an ex Christian may give me a little insight to this question.(I speak only for myself on this thread [really on most of my replies])
While being a Christian I felt that "God", my "God" was the only god out there and if you didn't believe then you, you poor soul, were going to burn in hell. If you didn't support my god then you must be supporting the Devil. Any other religion wasn't necessarily supporting the devil but was misguided and they too would probably burn in hell.
If left wing folks didnít support my god but rallied (any form of support) for Allah then guess what? They were not only following Allah but joined up with a religion that wantsí to exterminate Christians.

Now, I donít believe this and I can see that I was not thinking clearly. In my honest opinion, left wingers/liberals (not extreme) seem to fight for the underdog no matter who they are. These same leftie folks do have their intensions in the right place but through political distortion it could seem, to a right wing/conservative, as if they (left/liberal) are against the Christian god.

I wish we could toss out the political attributes and focus on the intensions, I do feel we would find they are quite similar.
This is a very good point. It's the "either you're with us or against us" fallacy.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,900,311 times
Quote:
I hear this all the time and I don't get the reasoning behind it.
There is no logic or reason behind it.

It's a basic guilt-by-association propaganda tactic, which sadly works very well on the uneducated and uninformed.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you are only looking at one small part and trying to argue the whole, and that is the flaw in your logic. for instance, god gave people a way out in the old testament by telling them exactly how to do a burnt offering to god. however when the new testament times rolled around, things changed, and god gave his son the who so ever believes and is baptized shall be saved. in other words there was no longer a need for a burnt offering to god, as he provided it in is son jesus.

jesus also said love they neighbor as you love yourself. just because times and technologies change, that does NOT negate the morals espoused in the bible. adultery is still wrong these days, that has not changed, what has changed is the punishment for the crime.

one more thing, jesus said render unto ceasar that which belongs to ceasar, and render unto god that which belongs to god. jesus also said follow the laws of man unless they go against the laws of god.
Maybe I'm not as edumacated as you, but explain to me the reasoning behind making sacrifice a requirement for forgiveness. That is just completely pointless.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:33 AM

43,562 posts, read 52,699,775 times
I pretty much can't stand any of these brainwashing, man-made, mind-control nonsense cults bandying about calling themselves 'organized religions.' Some like Hinduism or Buddhism I have no real issues with, but the rest...geezus.

That being said, I have a real issue with people equating muslims with terrorists or painting all who practice islam as some violent bunch of hooligans. Especially when most of the finger pointers come from some of the most judgmental, violent, oppressive religions in the world.

7:3 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM

32,475 posts, read 26,356,312 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm not as edumacated as you, but explain to me the reasoning behind making sacrifice a requirement for forgiveness. That is just completely pointless.
to those that are non religious, or non believers maybe, but to those that follow the laws set down by their god(s), there is good reason to make a sacrifice to repent for ones sins. remember that god gave people free will, that means that you can believe or not, your choice. you can go out and kill someone or something, again your choice. but each tine you go against the laws of god, you get in more trouble. remember back to your childhood, and when you did something wrong, your father let you know it was wrong, and punished you, but he never stopped loving you. you always had the opportunity to make amends for your transgressions. god the father also gives you a way to make amends for your transgressions as well. that was changed in the new testament times. remember john 3:16

for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believeth and is baptized shall be saved.

god knows we fall short of his standards, but he wont turn his back on us as long as we dont turn our backs on him.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to those that are non religious, or non believers maybe, but to those that follow the laws set down by their god(s), there is good reason to make a sacrifice to repent for ones sins. remember that god gave people free will, that means that you can believe or not, your choice. you can go out and kill someone or something, again your choice. but each tine you go against the laws of god, you get in more trouble. remember back to your childhood, and when you did something wrong, your father let you know it was wrong, and punished you, but he never stopped loving you. you always had the opportunity to make amends for your transgressions. god the father also gives you a way to make amends for your transgressions as well. that was changed in the new testament times. remember john 3:16

for god so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that who so ever believeth and is baptized shall be saved.

god knows we fall short of his standards, but he wont turn his back on us as long as we dont turn our backs on him.
You're dodging the point. There is no logic behind the idea that you have to sacrifice something to display regret. It doesn't make sense, point blank.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:09 PM

35,282 posts, read 19,307,980 times
Question Why do right-wing Christians insist that left-wingers and/or nonreligious people support Islam?

Because it's another ridiculous, baseless claim that fits in so well with all of the other ridiculous, baseless claims they make?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:53 PM

4,454 posts, read 5,746,770 times
I am considered an leftie. Well I never really truly supported Islam, and I hate some of the practises of it and some of the laws of Shariah law. In my opinion the muslim world would be much better off if it was secular.

However what annoys me about muslim bashing is there are people out there that regard just because someone is an muslim it means they are an terrorist or an terrorist supporter.

Last edited by other99; 08-04-2010 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or