U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 06:19 PM

32,474 posts, read 26,356,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You're dodging the point. There is no logic behind the idea that you have to sacrifice something to display regret. It doesn't make sense, point blank.
ok let me attack it this way;

if you break mans law, there is a penalty you must serve, correct?

well if you break gods law, there is a penance that must be served. in this case god has laid out what that penance is. it is all laid out their in the bible. in the old testament it was generally a burnt offering, usually a lamb selected as the best from a herd, taken into the family as a beloved pet, and then after a period of time it was ritually sacrificed to god as a penance for your sins. these day because christ was put on this earth to take the place of a sacrificial lamb for all those who believe in christ as lord and savior. does that clear it up for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 06:46 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
I'll support banning the veil if we (USA) ban the cowboy hat.
Looks to me like a symbol of oppression against people that are forced to wear it.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM

15,065 posts, read 19,710,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
ok let me attack it this way;

if you break mans law, there is a penalty you must serve, correct?

well if you break gods law, there is a penance that must be served. in this case god has laid out what that penance is. it is all laid out their in the bible. in the old testament it was generally a burnt offering, usually a lamb selected as the best from a herd, taken into the family as a beloved pet, and then after a period of time it was ritually sacrificed to god as a penance for your sins. these day because christ was put on this earth to take the place of a sacrificial lamb for all those who believe in christ as lord and savior. does that clear it up for you?
I'll make it short for you:
"Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice to free us from all sins, there's no more needs for sacrifices, through him we get to God"

Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,317,727 times
Right wingers narrow down everything in the universe to one of two choices:
if you don't hate Islam it automatically means you love them.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'll make it short for you:
"Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice to free us from all sins, there's no more needs for sacrifices, through him we get to God"
you and i understand this, but he lacks clarity of thought, thus the long winded explanations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
that is absolutely not true. i dont hate islam, in fact there are tenants of their religion i like. jesus told us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. god loves all his children be they islamists, christians, jews, agnostics, atheists, or what ever. can i as a professed christian do less?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,113,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I have read both of Ali's books. In her second one she talks at length about the West tolerating a lack of assimilation by Muslims. Female genital mutilation, domestic violence, honor killings, forced marriages - all occurring in the West and often tolerated or not brought to light as they should be in the name of multiculturalism. So immigrants maintain their culture's traditions/mores, even tho they are in conflict with the laws and world view of their new country. A recipe for trouble down the road.
In Europe I have seen MANY efforts to enlightening the multicultural approach. For example, Scandinavia- land of the feminists, truly. I actually have NEVER heard as many men claim that they were feminists as I did in this region. In this region, more than in the US, female supervisors are extremely common. And of course there is the issue with female "aesthetics." Come summer, it's all skin and its very normal. For an immigrant Muslim this really can be disturbing. Some adjust and some don't.

I love the idea of assimilation programs, both there and here. Speaking of which, the citizenship test that we require of our citizen applicants is a test that MANY of our citizens would never pass.

Of course, immigrants can be expected to hold on to their own culture when they relocate. But with time and integration and immersion, their world view does tend to shift. And this shifting can lead to many responses: anger, relief, joy, resistance, conversion. You name it. It's a very complicated issue but seeing as borders are consistently shrinking, it's something to be highly aware of and learn about.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Right wingers that don't know Muslims probably fit this. Right wingers who have travelled a bit, perhaps had education in an international setting, would know better.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM

3,482 posts, read 4,020,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you and i understand this, but he lacks clarity of thought, thus the long winded explanations.

that is absolutely not true. i dont hate islam, in fact there are tenants of their religion i like. jesus told us to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. god loves all his children be they islamists, christians, jews, agnostics, atheists, or what ever. can i as a professed christian do less?
As fallible humans, we love all of these, yes. The time comes however, for God to judge. And we don't pretend that God judges all equally in the end. Otherwise, your faith is totally without direction or merit.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
As fallible humans, we love all of these, yes. The time comes however, for God to judge. And we don't pretend that God judges all equally in the end. Otherwise, your faith is totally without direction or merit.
really? god doesnt judge all by the same standard in the end? are you sure about that?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Many left-leaning folks who bash Christians are quick to defend Islam.
Makes no sense to me seeing as how the more extreme parts of the religon...
Go against everything they believe in.
I think this dynamic has to do with these folks seeing how much Islam and Muslims are demonized these days which of course , not right. There is demonization going on, you gotta admit that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or