Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:24 PM

1,461 posts, read 1,526,274 times

Advertisements

Some people thrive on an "us vs. them" mentality. It is no longer OK to beat up on Jews or African Americans and communism is dead so now some groups thrive on hate to other groups. It is especially easy to hate something or a group of people one knows nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 03:30 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,160,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Being in a military community, I have met the wives of some "exchange" arabic military members. This is, interestingly, another important frontier of breaking down boundaries. Some of these wives not only learn how to drive while they are here, but also develop a fondness for "Western" society. Even if they want to keep their veils on.
Veils should be banned outside of the Middle East. A woman showing her face (or body for that matter) isn't a crime.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:45 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,160,912 times

YouTube - YouTube Submission Part 1 What Theo van Gogh was murdered for

Old 07-31-2010, 04:33 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,378,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Veils should be banned outside of the Middle East. A woman showing her face (or body for that matter) isn't a crime.
I grew up on beaches. The notion of "covering up"to that extent is alien to me. I also feel that for societies accustomed to female half nudity (America is not totally there yet), the idea or sight of a nipple is not inflammatory or criminal.

That said, I am all for Muslim women veiling if they CHOOSE to do so. I think with some reprogramming many of these ladies would enjoy laying out in a bikini.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,766,577 times
Quote:
True. Amazing that people are still looking to these sources as the ultimate truth despite all the advances in knowledge we have. You can combine spirituality with evolved knowledge but I guess some people refuse to do so.
in my opinion the bible tells us what god did, and science tells us how he did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
This negates the idea that a religious text is the absolute word of any form of god.
in what manner? in my opinion god exists, and the bible is divinely inspired by god. muslims believe the koran was also divinely inspired by allah. who is to say those of us that believe in a god, or even multiple gods, are wrong? this is why it is called FAITH in god. if you want to bash religion, first learn more about that which you wish to bash. many of the dietary laws, and the common sense stuff written in the bible and the koran are as applicable today as they were then. if you choose not to believe in a religion, that is certainly your choice, and in that case i suggest that you instead look at the koran and the bible as books of common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
Some people thrive on an "us vs. them" mentality. It is no longer OK to beat up on Jews or African Americans and communism is dead so now some groups thrive on hate to other groups. It is especially easy to hate something or a group of people one knows nothing about.
well said.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 PM

425 posts, read 366,085 times
The right wingers know the Law , The Rules ....even though they themselves do not follow them. If this land weren't filled with vermin , "Others " who showed up would stick out like sore thumbs for what they were. Those who murdered the NA sure did. The history of the US is a descent into religious and political hypocrisy. Most of those who live on this continent deserve to die or be cast out.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,891,828 times
Grabbing some dolmas, falafels, pita bread, and baklava. A christian lady on one side of me, and a muslim lady on the other side. We don't have time to argue ! We are eagerly awaiting more sweet tea, and tiramisu...made by..(drumroll) a Pagan !

Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 PM

46,921 posts, read 25,893,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a chance that not all Muslims are Islamists? Islamists want to use Islam to conquer the world and their religion is both religious and political. I don't see that from Muslims who aren't Islamist. Is it not possible to call Muslims who aren't Islamists, by far the largest part of Islam, just Muslims and then call the Islamists members of Islamisim? That is the way I see them but then maybe they don't see what I do.
Time to open that ice skating rink in Hades, because I agree emphatically with this.

Quote:
This is really a direct quote from the original Koran? The Koran actually discusses menstruation??????
So does the Old Testament. And our pagan forefathers undoubtedly had rules about it as well. It's deep, dark magic.

Quote:
I think one of the most important things we see happening in our era, concerning this issue, is the flood of Muslims into Europe and the current grappling of how to handle their customs.
Very true. Some take to Europe like a fish to water, some maintain at least a veneer of old traditions (for instance, in my experience, some drink like fish, but feel bad about it as an act of contrition), some recoil from the unknown and escape into a structure that provides certainty, a social network and dignity.

Quote:
Muslim men often get integrated (and "westernized" if they choose) far quicker then Muslim women because they do not have as many rules and barriers shackling them when they immigrate to a Western country.
Well, yes and no. I read recent Danish study - young Muslim women are over-represented in the universities. They don't party, so they study. And they're going for the heavy degrees, too. It's damn hard to to insist on subservience from doctors or lawyers.

[]The whole cartoon debacle also shows the direness of the situation. A danish cartoonist receiving death threats for mocking Allah? Scandinavians mock ALL things religious. It's probably the most atheist region on Earth.[/quote] Interestingly, it was mostly overseas and mostly deliberately agitated - a couple of Danish Imams decided to go for a bit of fame and travel through the Middle East getting people riled up. Which worked. (Those guys were truly a-holes. Blood on their hands.)

The Danish Muslims mostly walked in demonstrations and wrote very, very angry letters to the editor. Which is of course how it should be.

Quote:
That said, I am all for Muslim women veiling if they CHOOSE to do so. I think with some reprogramming many of these ladies would enjoy laying out in a bikini.
I had a couple of Iranian colleagues back in Germany, whose girlfriends/wives did very much not cover up. Nor did I notice them being particularly subservient.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,443,941 times
A lot of right-wingers assume a whole host of things about left-wingers that aren't necessarily always true. (To be fair it goes both ways. A lot of left-wingers also assume things about right-wingers that aren't necessarily always true either.) This is just one of many examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Scribe
I'm all for banning the veil in Europe.
Why? How is banning the veil any better than enforcing it? Why can't we just let people have the choice to wear what they want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Scribe
Being in a military community, I have met the wives of some "exchange" arabic military members. This is, interestingly, another important frontier of breaking down boundaries. Some of these wives not only learn how to drive while they are here, but also develop a fondness for "Western" society. Even if they want to keep their veils on.
My old job was very related to Islam and so there were a lot of Muslims in my office. One thing I found to be interesting is a lot of the women who refused to wear the veil in their home countries decided to start wearing it here in the U.S. I'm not sure what the psychology behind it is, and I'm sure it varies from woman to woman, but I thought it was interesting and worth noting.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,766,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
The right wingers know the Law , The Rules ....even though they themselves do not follow them. If this land weren't filled with vermin , "Others " who showed up would stick out like sore thumbs for what they were. Those who murdered the NA sure did. The history of the US is a descent into religious and political hypocrisy. Most of those who live on this continent deserve to die or be cast out.
those of us on the right do try to follow the laws, and the rules, but we know that we fall short, and we pay our penance when we do. the liberals are the ones that are trying to change the rules, everywhere including religion, so they can demonize religion in favor of big government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Grabbing some dolmas, falafels, pita bread, and baklava. A christian lady on one side of me, and a muslim lady on the other side. We don't have time to argue ! We are eagerly awaiting more sweet tea, and tiramisu...made by..(drumroll) a Pagan !
mmmm nummy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies