U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:22 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,266,388 times

Advertisements

I hear this all the time and I don't get the reasoning behind it. First of all, being nonreligious does not equate to being a left-winger and vice versa.

I'm am an atheist and a leftie (although not a liberal) and I am completely opposed to Islam (and religion in general really). Islam is a religion of hate. Sure, not every Muslim is a psychotic terrorist. It doesn't matter. Those who cling to the "moderate Muslim" title are considered infidels by their own religion. This is also true with fundamentalist Christianity, but in their defense (if it even really is a defense), their tactics aren't as extreme. Their ideology is just as bad as Islam's, but they don't act out on their beliefs the way radical Muslims do. Of course, there are exceptions (abortion clinic bombers, etc).

On the other hand, I am against profiling people of Arab descent. A person from the Middle East isn't automatically a Muslim and vice versa. This kind of profiling is not OK as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying you hate Roman Catholics and being prejudiced against Italians because you stereotype them all as being Catholic.

I felt like ranting, but now I don't, so uhhhhh...there you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 02:46 PM

58 posts, read 166,579 times
I'm getting me some popcorn and a large drank.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:53 PM

32,479 posts, read 26,364,993 times
first we have this little thing called the constitution, and in that constitution we have the first amendment which says;

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

thus we have freedom of religion in this country. you are free to have what ever religious beliefs you want, or even a lack of religious beliefs.

second, islam is not a religion of hate. a few have taken things out of context, and are manipulating the koran for their own purposes. it is a sad thing when religion is used as a reason for killing people.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:54 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,238,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I hear this all the time and I don't get the reasoning behind it. First of all, being nonreligious does not equate to being a left-winger and vice versa.

I'm am an atheist and a leftie (although not a liberal) and I am completely opposed to Islam (and religion in general really). Islam is a religion of hate. Sure, not every Muslim is a psychotic terrorist. It doesn't matter. Those who cling to the "moderate Muslim" title are considered infidels by their own religion. This is also true with fundamentalist Christianity, but in their defense (if it even really is a defense), their tactics aren't as extreme. Their ideology is just as bad as Islam's, but they don't act out on their beliefs the way radical Muslims do. Of course, there are exceptions (abortion clinic bombers, etc).

On the other hand, I am against profiling people of Arab descent. A person from the Middle East isn't automatically a Muslim and vice versa. This kind of profiling is not OK as far as I'm concerned. It's like saying you hate Roman Catholics and being prejudiced against Italians because you stereotype them all as being Catholic.

I felt like ranting, but now I don't, so uhhhhh...there you go.
Is there a chance that not all Muslims are Islamists? Islamists want to use Islam to conquer the world and their religion is both religious and political. I don't see that from Muslims who aren't Islamist. Is it not possible to call Muslims who aren't Islamists, by far the largest part of Islam, just Muslims and then call the Islamists members of Islamisim? That is the way I see them but then maybe they don't see what I do.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,114,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Saw View Post
I'm getting me some popcorn and a large drank.
pass me some popcorn please.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
first we have this little thing called the constitution, and in that constitution we have the first amendment which says;

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

thus we have freedom of religion in this country. you are free to have what ever religious beliefs you want, or even a lack of religious beliefs.

second, islam is not a religion of hate. a few have taken things out of context, and are manipulating the koran for their own purposes. it is a sad thing when religion is used as a reason for killing people.
004.032YUSUFALI: And in no wise covet those things in which Allah Hath bestowed His gifts More freely on some of you than on others: To men is allotted what they earn, and to women what they earn: But ask Allah of His bounty. For Allah hath full knowledge of all things.
PICKTHAL: And covet not the thing in which Allah hath made some of you excel others. Unto men a fortune from that which they have earned, and unto women a fortune from that which they have earned. (Envy not one another) but ask Allah of His bounty. Lo! Allah is ever Knower of all things.
SHAKIR: And do not covet that by which Allah has made some of you excel others; men shall have the benefit of what they earn and women shall have the benefit of what they earn; and ask Allah of His grace; surely Allah knows all things.

002.222YUSUFALI: They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean. But when they have purified themselves, ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by Allah. For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.
PICKTHAL: They question thee (O Muhammad) concerning menstruation. Say: It is an illness, so let women alone at such times and go not in unto them till they are cleansed. And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah hath enjoined upon you. Truly Allah loveth those who turn unto Him, and loveth those who have a care for cleanness.
SHAKIR: And they ask you about menstruation. Say: It is a discomfort; therefore keep aloof from the women during the menstrual discharge and do not go near them until they have become clean; then when they have cleansed themselves, go in to them as Allah has commanded you; surely Allah loves those who turn much (to Him), and He loves those who purify themselves.

And this is just some of the sexism in the Koran. Shall we move onto other prejudices as well?

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM

I am not against Islam at all. There are moderate Muslim societies where women walk around unveiled, people practice their rites and little of this "crazy Muslim" fervor goes on.

People who act in the name of a religion (i.e. Muslim or Christian or whoever terrorists) are not religious. They are psychopaths. They will not get 70 virgins in heaven, they will get charred bones for breakfast.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there a chance that not all Muslims are Islamists? Islamists want to use Islam to conquer the world and their religion is both religious and political. I don't see that from Muslims who aren't Islamist. Is it not possible to call Muslims who aren't Islamists, by far the largest part of Islam, just Muslims and then call the Islamists members of Islamisim? That is the way I see them but then maybe they don't see what I do.
Islam is a religion. A Muslim is a follower of Islam. I never made any claim contrary to that.

On the other hand Arab is a race, not a religion. There are Christian Arabs, atheist Arabs, etc. People of Middle Eastern descent are of the Arab race, but their religion is not determined by their race.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
I am not against Islam at all. There are moderate Muslim societies where women walk around unveiled, people practice their rites and little of this "crazy Muslim" fervor goes on.

People who act in the name of a religion (i.e. Muslim or Christian or whoever terrorists) are not religious. They are psychopaths. They will not get 70 virgins in heaven, they will get charred bones for breakfast.
We agree on many things, but I do not agree with this at all. Sorry.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

002.222YUSUFALI: They ask thee concerning women's courses. Say: They are a hurt and a pollution: So keep away from women in their courses, and do not approach them until they are clean. But when they have purified themselves, ye may approach them in any manner, time, or place ordained for you by Allah. For Allah loves those who turn to Him constantly and He loves those who keep themselves pure and clean.
PICKTHAL: They question thee (O Muhammad) concerning menstruation. Say: It is an illness, so let women alone at such times and go not in unto them till they are cleansed. And when they have purified themselves, then go in unto them as Allah hath enjoined upon you. Truly Allah loveth those who turn unto Him, and loveth those who have a care for cleanness.
SHAKIR: And they ask you about menstruation. Say: It is a discomfort; therefore keep aloof from the women during the menstrual discharge and do not go near them until they have become clean; then when they have cleansed themselves, go in to them as Allah has commanded you; surely Allah loves those who turn much (to Him), and He loves those who purify themselves.

And this is just some of the sexism in the Koran. Shall we move onto other prejudices as well?
This is really a direct quote from the original Koran? The Koran actually discusses menstruation??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or