U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 05:19 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,569,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I wasn't speaking specifically about the people in that neighborhood. When stories like this break about random shootings people get afraid for their own safety and the safety of their kids but then when they find out it was gang related it gives them a false sense of security because they think it's an isolated incident.
ok, I understand fully what you are saying. But on the same hand, in places where lots of violence happens, typically the people that live in those areas don't pay much attention as to whether or not it was gang related, but just see the act of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,357,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The article stated that whoever they were after got the wrong kid. That's what the police said.
I read that as well, but I wonder how they know this without talking to the shooter..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 PM

3,408 posts, read 3,569,755 times
Another thing is many of the gangs we have in America have been around since the 50's and 60's. Many of them even have religious beliefs built into their literature. But in the past 20 years the gangs have turned to more violence. I blame many of the founders and former leaders of the gangs for getting locked up and not being there to educate and teach the younger generations what the gangs were created for and what they were to stand for.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:23 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,311,213 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking specifically about the people in that neighborhood. When stories like this break about random shootings people get afraid for their own safety and the safety of their kids but then when they find out it was gang related it gives them a false sense of security because they think it's an isolated incident.
Not necessarily. Way too many times the parents don't acknowledge their own kid's involvement in gangs. This mother didn't.

We've also had an incident in Austin where the parent's of a dead 18 year old won't go past admitting that their kid "had some problems".
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...oid=oid:787100

If parents don't think their own kids are in the gangs and tell that to the media then what ?

Last edited by HappyTexan; 07-31-2010 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:24 PM

12,256 posts, read 16,173,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I read that as well, but I wonder how they know this without talking to the shooter..
It wasn't the police that said it; it was the family. And that's typical

Quote:
Also, police said they couldn't verify claims by the family of the victim, Robert Freeman Jr., that Wednesday's shooting might have been a case of mistaken identity.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:26 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,357,998 times
Quote:
It wasn't the police that said it; it was the family. And that's typical
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up. I skimmed through the story and didnt read it in detail, just another kid getting shot..

Last edited by pghquest; 07-31-2010 at 05:35 PM..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:34 PM

544 posts, read 937,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not necessarily. Way too many times the parents don't acknowledge their own kid's involvement in gangs. This mother didn't.

We've also had an incident in Austin where the parent's of a dead 18 year old won't go past admitting that their kid "had some problems".

If parents don't think their own kids are in the gangs and tell that to the media then what ?
Yes some of this is going to be personal responsibility on the parents to be more involved in their children lives but I don't see that happening especially in the ghettos that are overrun with gangs

I know a woman who was on housing and her son broke into a jewelry store at 14. He spent 1 year in a juve camp. When he got out his mother wouldn't let him come home because it would have cost her to lose her housing so he ended up on the streets and selling drugs.

It didn't have to be that way.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
Yes some of this is going to be personal responsibility on the parents to be more involved in their children lives but I don't see that happening especially in the ghettos that are overrun with gangs

I know a woman who was on housing and her son broke into a jewelry store at 14. He spent 1 year in a juve camp. When he got out his mother wouldn't let him come home because it would have cost her to lose her housing so he ended up on the streets and selling drugs.

It didn't have to be that way.
No, it didn't.

Her son didn't have to rob a jewelry store.
That mother didn't have to remain in that neighborhood once she saw that her son was getting into trouble.
That mother didn't have to put him out on the streets.
He didn't have to sell drugs.

A lot of things that happened didn't have to happen but they happened because it was easier than doing what should of happened.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM

544 posts, read 937,948 times
Quote:
No, it didn't.

Her son didn't have to rob a jewelry store.
That mother didn't have to remain in that neighborhood once she saw that her son was getting into trouble.
That mother didn't have to put him out on the streets.
He didn't have to sell drugs.

A lot of things that happened didn't have to happen but they happened because it was easier than doing what should of happened.
while i agree that there does need to be some level of personal responsibilty i have a problem with them saying her underage son couldn't live with her or she would lose her housing. where was he supposed to go? he didn't have any other options. this shouldn't be allowed.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLater View Post
while i agree that there does need to be some level of personal responsibilty i have a problem with them saying her underage son couldn't live with her or she would lose her housing. where was he supposed to go? he didn't have any other options. this shouldn't be allowed.
I have no problems with the government saying convicted criminals can't stay there. And as far as the mother, he was there for a year I'm pretty sure she didn't become aware of that rule once he was released. I'll bet any kind of money it was in the lease she signed. If she failed to read the lease then oh well for her.

When he got home and had no where to go he didn't have to sell drugs. That was just the easy way to do it. Just as easily as he went to find someone to supply him with drugs, he could have went to a shelter.

They both had other options. It's not the governments fault that neither one of them wanted to utilize them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies