Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
I havent seen anyone in here that are ok with this child being murdered. Or do you just assume as such?
Never made such a claim. Please show where I said CD posters are ok with it. Perhaps it is you who assumes too much.
However in this country some if not many are or must be ok with it.
Where is the overwhelming outcry for action? How many gang related deaths happen in Chicago each month? LA? People simply accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Never made such a claim. Please show where I said CD posters are ok with it. Perhaps it is you who assumes too much.
However in this country some if not many are or must be ok with it.
Where is the overwhelming outcry for action? How many gang related deaths happen in Chicago each month? LA? People simply accept.
You say some feel ok with it. I don't know anyone who is ok with it. If it isnt CD posters that are ok with it, then it must be people you know that are ok with it. Since you are the one making the claim.

There is an overwhelming outcry in these neighborhoods. But, a lot of the media doesnt show it. Also you have those that believe that there is no reason to help these areas, some because they think that those in the neighborhoods will scream racism. Just like the one poster on here claimed.

The outcry is there, but it is falling on deaf ears.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
and how is a neighborhood like this one becoming like Lord of the Flies?
It starts when parents refuse to acknowledge their kid is part of the gang movement.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It starts when parents refuse to acknowledge their kid is part of the gang movement.
I didnt ask how it starts, I am asking how they are like, which is the claim you made. You used this specific analogy, I am just curious as to how you feel that these neighborhoods are like Lord of the Flys

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
I didnt ask how it starts, I am asking how they are like, which is the claim you made. You used this specific analogy, I am just curious as to how you feel that these neighborhoods are like Lord of the Flys

Lord of the Flies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

".. left to themselves in a paradisiacal country, far from modern civilization, the well-educated children regress to a primitive state."

The similarity is there..left to themselves, they regress to a primitive state right there in the middle of civilization.
They have their own rules and form of justice.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Lord of the Flies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

".. left to themselves in a paradisiacal country, far from modern civilization, the well-educated children regress to a primitive state."

The similarity is there..left to themselves, they regress to a primitive state right there in the middle of civilization.
They have their own rules and form of justice.
I know all about Lord of the Flies, I had to write a literature paper on it.

But, I fail to see the similarities. These communities still rely on the the laws set forth by their city, state, and country. These communities still rely on the Justice system of their state and country. The justice system may be failing these communities, but that does not mean that these communities have created their own.

There are many many law abiding citizens in these communities that do not condone violence, so how have they regressed to a primitive state?

Maybe you are stereotyping everyone in these communities so you are making this claim, I am not sure.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times
These kids are home alone or from broken families or have drug addicted parents or never knew thier father and the gang is everything to them. They have to kill in order to be respected and show loyality. I'm sure they don't want to kill but they get put into a position where they think have to.
I live here and once saw a young boy after he was beaten to death with a bat.
I really do believe a huge area should be built, like a prison but not a prison.
If you are caught and it is proven you are affliated with a gang, you should be sent there. There should be counselors, pastors, church services and bible studies.
Work programs, education and visits from your family. Blue collar workers to donate thier time to come in and teach a trade and also a sports team for every sport.
If you continue the gang activity while inside, you get sent to the real jail for a period.
You get 3 chances, to go back and forth and then you can stay in the real jail until you are 25. You get one chance after that, then put them away until they are 40.
I really think this would solve the problem.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
These kids are home alone or from broken families or have drug addicted parents or never knew thier father and the gang is everything to them. They have to kill in order to be respected and show loyality. I'm sure they don't want to kill but they get put into a position where they think have to.
I live here and once saw a young boy after he was beaten to death with a bat.
I really do believe a huge area should be built, like a prison but not a prison.
If you are caught and it is proven you are affliated with a gang, you should be sent there. There should be counselors, pastors, church services and bible studies.
Work programs, education and visits from your family. Blue collar workers to donate thier time to come in and teach a trade.
If you continue the gang activity while inside, you get sent to the real jail for a period.
You get 3 chances, then you are out.
Stay in until you are 25. You get one chance after that, then put them away until they are 40.
I really think this would solve the problem.
well, since the first part of what you are saying is based on stereotypes and not always reality I am not sure how much of the rest you say is relevant. You say you live here.. and where is here?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The courts have held that the Police do NOT have a responsibility to protect citizens from criminals. The Chicago politicians decide to make it illegal for a citizen to even keep a gun at home for their own defense. Then they think this will make the place peaceful. This will never happen anywhere.

IMHO gangs are a societal response to the need for protection from violence from strangers. Gangs are the law in their territories and enforce that law in a very brutal manner. Gangs also, being illegal, sell all manner of proscribed things from underage hookers to the strongest dope. The gangs are not only there to protect their members but they are also businesses.

The way to curtail gangs is simple.

First let all the people in the area to own, keep, carry and use guns for their own defense. The alternative of having enough police to put a couple officers on every street corner with the duty to protect all the citizens is usually too expensive.

Legalize most of the proscribed chemicals and activities with adequate regulation and taxation.

Arrest any remaining gang members and charge them with armed insurrection. Than hang them in the neighborhood. There are some people that need a graphic illustration that the civilian government is taking back the ghetto and will be the only LAW in the land.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:32 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Does anyone know if gang crime is increased during harder economic times?

It would seem to me when people are stressed with trying to provide basic necessities, finding work, etc; they become more stressed, depressed, etc which can make them apathetic, thus allowing criminal elements to thrive and grow.

I think it is such a tragedy when anyone, especially a child dies on the streets of this country or feels the need to join criminal groups for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies