U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:22 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,293,273 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Paul Ryan talks taxes & spending with MSNBC's Chris Matthews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 07:39 PM

44,924 posts, read 28,147,169 times
Matthews is so stupid that I wonder how he keeps his job. He continues to shout about entitlements as if that is the only way to cut the deficit even after Ryan tells him that Republicans have offered to cut up to $1.4 trillion without taking anything from entitlements and Matthews keeps up with his stupidity.
All he can think of is cutting entitlements and he doesn't see that cutting government is any way to cut the deficit. The man is just too stupid to be allowed on the air by anyone but MSNBC. He can't see that the number of small businessmen, in the number of those who the Dems don't want to keep the tax cuts for, is anything like 75% even when Ryan explains it to him. The Democrat knows all that Ryan said is true and he won't side in with Matthews. I guess Matthews needs to get Madcow and Oberleutnant on his side when he does these interviews.

I know that Obama knows about who is going to get stuck and he knows that they don't expand their businesses to cut unemployment but he wants to hurt them so the recession can be maintained where it is.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 AM

6,183 posts, read 4,974,022 times
I don't understand how tax cuts for the upper bracket helps small businesses. It helps corporations which in turns hurts small business. I know under Bush almost every small business around where I live, including the one I worked at, went into the crapper.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 AM

4,879 posts, read 3,898,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I don't understand how tax cuts for the upper bracket helps small businesses. It helps corporations which in turns hurts small business. I know under Bush almost every small business around where I live, including the one I worked at, went into the crapper.
That's probably because you live in California.

Small businesses in Ohio, including the one I work at, are doing fine.

And the Bush tax cuts were not just for the upper bracket. They were for all brackets.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:20 AM

4,883 posts, read 7,304,765 times
This is great policy. The reality is the defacto average tax rate paid by the top 2% is only 17% which is lower then the bottom 95% pay. There are just that many loopholes, tax credits, and exemptions on the books that the rich end up paying less in taxes (as a percentage of income) then everyone else. They've had a decade of windfall tax breaks and the country is broke so we can't keep having record low taxes. Taxes must go up.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
I don't understand how tax cuts for the upper bracket helps small businesses.
They really don't since only about 5% of small businesses would be hit by rolling back Bush's tax breaks for the very rich. Even those can get around it by incorporating. The only way this would hit small businesses is if they're selling luxury items which the rich buy but the reality is if someone already has five houses, six cars, and two yachts then they're not going to be buying to many more. Instead they do what they've also done which is slush the money into the stock market.

We need to spend money on things like schools, roads, and infrastructure because that will do more for setting up the conditions for long term economic growth then hoping the rich buy a seventh summer home.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:24 AM

22,243 posts, read 15,272,205 times
Quote:
Extending the cuts for those below $250k, helps those people, and small business, deal with the economics issues they have to face. Extending the cuts to those over $250k helps those people expand the personal wealth and does nothing to help small business. The additional 3% tax on the upper income level, will simply result in less investment in personal portfolios, not less investment in Corporate expansion and hiring. The additional tax collected, would be better used to pay down some of the debt the Country is accumulating. It would not solve the debt issue, but it would help. Eventually, there will come a time when taxes need to go up on more people to work on the debt issue, but not until more masses of people can move toward solvency.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:34 AM

9,608 posts, read 9,811,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This is great policy. The reality is the defacto average tax rate paid by the top 2% is only 17% which is lower then the bottom 95% pay. There are just that many loopholes, tax credits, and exemptions on the books that the rich end up paying less in taxes (as a percentage of income) then everyone else. They've had a decade of windfall tax breaks and the country is broke so we can't keep having record low taxes. Taxes must go up.
I know Roy was listening when no less a luminary than Warren Buffet admitted that he pays less taxes than his receptionist. Nevertheless, the argument about how much should be paid by who continues. The reason that the conservative posters have so little rep relative to the volume of material they put into P&OC is because the Conservative dogma requires the willing suspension of intelligence. No one is buying it except other conservatives... maybe not even them. I know a little about how that works. I know a LOT of clergy... you know, ministers, priests and the like. Some of them, I can tell you, haven't got a shred of religion. Its pure schtick... a scam... con artistry... bamboozlement... I trust you get me. Tax them. The ship is sinking and those rats are heading for the lifeboats. Fine, but make them leave the cheese, its ours!

H

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 AM

20,978 posts, read 16,220,558 times
I would raise taxes on everyone, since the left feel that the government can solve all of our problems, and they're so responsible with our money. Hell, why not give them all of our money and let them give us what they feel we need?

That should work out, according to the left.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:13 AM

No one but the right drags out this strawman that "the government can solve all problems". I have yet to hear a single person advocate that idea so it is simply in your imagination. What I do hear people say is that the country's priorities are out of whack and that we need to get back to traditional 1950's and 60's priorities where education, infrastructure, and the interests of the vast majority need to come before tax breaks for the top 2%. Some of the best economic times in our country's history had a top tax rate of over 90% and today the official top tax rate is only 35% with the defacto top tax rate down at only 17%.

We've tried the philosophy that we should only care about the interests of the very rich and that philosophy has failed. Failed miserably. If we really want a sound economy we need to set up the basic conditions so everyone can thrive and that means making sure everyone gets a top notch education without being saddled with a life time of student loan debt. When my father went to the University of California in the 1960's a year of tuition along with room and meals was just $397 per year and that included all books. When I went in the late 90's it was $9000 per year not including books and now just a decade later it is up to almost $18,000 per year also not including books so even if you adjust for inflation we're just not investing in education like we used to. Instead we gave the money away as tax breaks for the very wealthy instead of making sure everyone got a first rate education.

That's how you create jobs, you educate young people in skills the economy needs then watch as these educated young folks go out and start new small businesses. We can't just keep giving to those who have and instead we need to set the stage so we can let more people create more. Not just the top 2% create more. We need everyone in this game and that means we need the best workers educated as well as just the rich elite educated.

That means we need more and better roads, more and better rail, more and better light rail (this will all promote increased trade), we need to actually build dams/canals/reservoirs, we need more money in the Small Business Administration and more incentives for banks to lend to small businesses (not just allow the big companies to loot everyone's tax dollars), it means we need sane bankruptcy laws so that people can start over when everything goes wrong (Ford went bankrupt twice before finally hitting it big with Ford Motor Company; imagine if we locked him out after his first failed attempt like we currently do), and yes it means we need more protections for average consumers/citizens who are getting abused by banks and big business.

If we look out for the average guy (who makes up the vast majority of the population) and give him a fair chance then we'll see the country prosper while if we keep just looking out for what the top 2% wants then the country will continue going to hell. It's that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies