U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:32 AM

12,256 posts, read 16,179,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Don't fall for the advertising. It's a hook and scam to get welfare recipients to buy an expensive cell phone plan. You can get better deals on basic pay-as-you-go from T-mobile or Virgin.

At most the government LifeLine program pays $10 month towards your primary phone (land line or cell phone service)
"Lifeline - Lifeline provides qualified consumers with a discount on monthly charges for their primary home phone line, even if it’s a cell phone. If you qualify for this program, Lifeline can save you at least $10 a month on your phone bills,"Lifeline Across America - Consumers

USAFreeCell.com for example prompts the program as giving you a "FREE cell phone with FREE monthly minutes" but they don't say how many minutes - I assume its up to the $10 - at an inflated rate. If you want more then you have to pay $15/week ($60/month) for a very basic phone.

Welfare recipients aren't yapping up the airwaves and screwing taxpayers on this gov't program. If anything - phone companies are taking advantage of the program while steering welfare recipients to more expensive get-less-for-more plans. Net10 and Tracphone plans are better and cheaper.
Well I'm so skeptical so I called the toll free number listed on the web page. The person who answered the phone said "Thanks for calling true wireless"

So I asked what type of phone you get. She said either a Motorola or a Samsung. I asked her about the models and she said it depends on what they have in stock.

I asked if the phones were brand new. She said some are refurbished. So most likely the phones they're giving away are the ones that can't sell because they're outdated.

I asked how many minutes come with the phone. She 68 said minutes (1 hour 8 minutes) are free. Each text message (outgoing or incoming) is 1 minute. Using the internet is 3 minutes per megabyte or something like that - she mumbled it so I kinda missed it. It also charges you to check your voice mail.

If you want additional minutes it's $15 a week and it doesn't matter if you talk on the phone or not during the week; they expire 7 days later.

So they're not really getting much. They're getting the phones that the providers can't sell and they're paying more than they would for a prepaid phone or something like metropcs. Basically the phone companies are taking advantage of those who don't research the actual costs of cell phones (for whatever reason) or those who want to get something for nothing.

But I know none of that matters. There's still going to be some person who looks at the title and work themselves into a frantic fit because a person on food stamps is getting a free Iphone from the government
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 10:33 AM

2,631 posts, read 1,955,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Peter and Paul....weren't they CHRISTIAN Apostles???? Didn't their leader love and care for the poor???

I love seeing this thread filled by CHRISTIANS with such naked hatred of the poor.....and the thread where SOME say this is a Christian nation.....sure sounds like it is
Getting a bit off topic here, I believe many Christian people actually NEED what they perceive as a sub-class of people to vent about.
After they get done with the 'brown' people I believe it will be the 'poor' more than ever.
Sad.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:34 AM

24,843 posts, read 32,317,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender1968 View Post
err, I didn't ask a question on gas tax, I used it as a comparison. But thanks for the links
LOL....I did word that rather odd.

It answers the question you raised.

Sorry....

Old 08-01-2010, 10:35 AM

3,858 posts, read 6,120,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
What's amazing to me is the photo in the Ad, showing a pretty young woman, out in a field, having a fun chat with someone, on her free Cell Phone. OY! If they showed an indigent man holding a Cell Phone in one hand, and a Job Notice Flyer in the other....or a thin, frail ninety-something lady living in a shack, calling an ambulance.... But NO! They show someone obviously mentally and physically able, shootin' da (ugly word) with her homies. Maybe she's checking the 'dating service', lining up another 'paying guest', whom she will entertain out in the vacant lot....so much cheaper than a rent-by-the-hour motel room... leaves enough money to buy a whole rock, if you can work out in the weeds, without overhead... HEY! At least she's workin'!
It's an ad by a private company - not an ad by the gov't. I take all ads with a grain of salt - there are no lonely buxom babes lounging on their couch waiting for my call - trim people in ads didn't use the gadget or diet they are peddling - and grandpa isn't going to use his free gov't program Hoveround to visit the Grand Canyon.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,015,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Free Phone with Food Stamps? | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

It's bad enough that phone users are being gouged with added taxes and fees on our bills. Now the phone companies actually are mailing the information out to these bums on how to get the services that they are too lazy to figure out for themselves. The lazy girl in the video is so dumb that she thinks that cell phones are actually a necessity.
Voice traffic has been almost free for several years now, for everyone. Home phones are dirt cheap compared to where they used to be.

Cellular phone companies make almost 0 dollars off of voice only accounts.

Its all about DARPU right now, data is everything.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 AM

32,166 posts, read 16,527,362 times
Default So, where's the anger at the rural communities?

By far the bigger part of the universal charge goes to pay for telecommunication infrastructure outside the cities. The ROI on landlines in sparsely populated is horrible - were it not for the universal charge fees, farms would have to pay for their own last-mile cables.

Well, society benefits immensely from having phone service being near-ubiquitous. Do you think the industry meekly agreed to a universal numbering scheme or pulled trunk lines to East B*tt*ck, Montana for the immense profits to be made? There was a lot of government arm-twisting involved. (Also, it should be said, a sense of obligation on some providers' part. They were building something bigger than just the next quarterly statement.)

Be that as it may, a program to provide landlines for those in economic trouble has been in place for decades. And with the activation cost for a cell phone being a fraction of that for a landline, using cell phones is by far the more economical way to go. An item that used to be luxury is now commonplace, it's how it works.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:50 AM

3,858 posts, read 6,120,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So they're not really getting much. They're getting the phones that the providers can't sell and they're paying more than they would for a prepaid phone or something like metropcs. Basically the phone companies are taking advantage of those who don't research the actual costs of cell phones (for whatever reason) or those who want to get something for nothing.
Thanks for the real-life fact check. It's as I suspected.

The gov't pays up to $10/month to help poor people pay for a primary phone line (cell or land line). I don't think anyone would argue that a phone in the home isn't essential in the modern world. Corporate vultures then move into take advantage of this discount and spin it to peddle overpriced phone plans to those who can least afford it.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:57 AM

69,372 posts, read 55,387,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
Getting a bit off topic here, I believe many Christian people actually NEED what they perceive as a sub-class of people to vent about.
After they get done with the 'brown' people I believe it will be the 'poor' more than ever.
Sad.
Whats up with the hatred for "christians"? You guys dont need a perceived class of "superior" people to vent about? Seriously, give it a break!!! First you start with the racism crap, and now hate for religion.. what bs..

Old 08-01-2010, 10:59 AM

44,924 posts, read 28,155,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Must have been Sweeps Week, since this story has absolutely nothing to do with real reporting, just sensationalism.

The Obama Phone? | FactCheck.org
I would say that you failed to read the link and surely failed to see the video since you ran to FactCheck to learn that tax money doesn't fund this program. Yes, the video showed the end of a rate payer's bill with all kinds of bogus charges and even taxes which phone companies have been collecting for years and people never question, just pay them and are thankful for the service they pay for willingly.

Anybody with a mind to think with knows that people do question some of those charges and those same people should be able to reason that those excess charges are being used for something, and in this case it is not for profit.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:13 AM

44,924 posts, read 28,155,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Maybe this will answer your question on gas.

Gas Taxes

How much tax do we really pay? (this is just to compare other taxes)
We, in Kansas, have known about the amount of tax, both federal and state, as long as we can read and do read the signs on the gas pumps for a long time. Exorbitant as hell, but still there at a total of about 49 cents total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or