U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2010, 03:37 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 1,682,996 times
Reputation: 1008

Advertisements

Just a side note, those of you who speak about government intrusion in people's lives should be more concerned with our counter-terrorism measures and the actions taken in the interest of homeland security than with policies which would increase taxes for a section of our society, extend health care to all, or enact real financial or educational reform.

Your selective outrage is intriguing, since you've all ignored my comments on our prison population (and its link to changes in our judicial system, leading to an enormous increase in our prison population, i.e. people who've truly had their freedom taken away) and defense spending (which is linked to state policies which actually DO threaten our freedom) , both which should be viewed as aspects of "intrusive government" that I am criticizing. But keep on with the garbage about how I want the government to spoon-feed me without bothering to actually engage with my points.

Bush Authorized Domestic Spying - washingtonpost.com
New Bill Would Let Obama Police Internet for National Security Reasons - The Daily Beast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM
 
31 posts, read 12,810 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Haha, what kind of argument is this? I'm glad you edited it from what you initially said, which was just one big attack on Elizabeth Warren without confronting what she actually said, but how has she "missed life"? What do you know about her personally? How is that relevent?

You claim that her statistics are about "things that do not exist or are rather the natural order," and I fail to see how that is true. If you watched the video you'd see that it's clearly NOT the natural order of things. You start out with the intention of attacking it and don't actually provide a legitimate argument which, in the face of the dozens of statistics (she didn't just fabricate them as you imply) and her well reasoned argument, is almost embarrassing.

Wapasha, I won't bother with responding to you at length, because you keep peddling the "liberals want the whole gov't to control our lives" nonsense, and you apparently can't provide a coherent argument with sources to save your life. How has your daily life changed as a result of the increasing tyranny of our government that you wail about? Do you have anything to back up your argument or is it all just blustery rhetoric with no real substance?

NHartphotog, thanks for a semi-reasonable response, but again, citation needed. And please don't pull the experience card on me. I know lots of people as old and older than you who feel the way that I do, and my argument is not that government is some shining knight armor that saves people. I highly distrust our government now, and it's one of the first things that needs reform, but I simply don't consider it to be the natural enemy of the people. Your Libertarian-esque comments on how most Americans would be better off if it simply disappeared seem ridiculous to me, since that's fastest way to give the wealthiest Americans even MORE power, and to throw the poorest citizens in the country further into poverty. On that note, you haven't commented on the trends in income disparity. What will happen when this disparity reaches its extreme conclusion? It won't be good for either the rich or the poor.

The graph I posted shows that 1% of the population owns 43% of the financial wealth, and yet you claim that "There are not enough of those making a million a year to feed the insatiable government appetite for spending." It's not about the number of people making x amount of money, it's about the percentage of wealth owned by the top x percent.

What this argument is telling me is that all of you right-wingers who are so eager to tell people on the left "what they really think" cannot back your position up with any real information, and are instead simply going to argue the point forever off of how you simply feel. That means that nothing will ever change your mind, making this a complete waste of time. At least I've learned something from all of this.
Actually, the real deal is we don't have the patience or the time to pacify the institutionalized schizoprhrnia of the wanna be's. Actually i only pulled down my first post because I realized it was not who I thought it was but then all libs look alike

You try to get mileage out of gibberish. In the words of Thomas Sowell, "Anyone who looks through enough statistics will eventually find numbers that seem to confirm a given vision." In the end friend, you will lose. You will lose because this is still a great country with many intelligent people that do not buy into the Harvard bullsh.t philosphies of the "Visions of the Anointed". The "erudite" have never held a real job, never created anything, they teach because they cannot do. They manage to draw in enough allegiance from like minded stooges to promote ideologies they believe will subjugate the world to their tunnel vision bullsh.t version of utopia. They have always been. Truth is given the need to fend for themselves, they will be the first to meet destruction.
I am not worried about them or the likes of those writing here I just long for the day when they are again marginalized to their static mediocrity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 1,682,996 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by carribean joe View Post
Actually, the real deal is we don't have the patience or the time to pacify the institutionalized schizoprhrnia of the wanna be's. Actually i only pulled down my first post because I realized it was not who I thought it was but then all libs look alike

You try to get mileage out of gibberish. In the words of Thomas Sowell, "Anyone who looks through enough statistics will eventually find numbers that seem to confirm a given vision." In the end friend, you will lose. You will lose because this is still a great country with many intelligent people that do not buy into the Harvard bullsh.t philosphies of the "Visions of the Anointed". The "erudite" have never held a real job, never created anything, they teach because they cannot do. They manage to draw in enough allegiance from like minded stooges to promote ideologies they believe will subjugate the world to their tunnel vision bullsh.t version of utopia. They have always been. Truth is given the need to fend for themselves, they will be the first to meet destruction.
I am not worried about them or the likes of those writing here I just long for the day when they are again marginalized to their static mediocrity.
How hilarious.

You say that I get mileage out of gibberish when I'm the one citing statistics and providing sources for my arguments, and when my words are far more coherently written than yours.

You complain about academia and "Harvard bullsh.t philosophies" and then you quote Thomas Sowell, and academic who graduated from Harvard himself, and who uses NUMEROUS statistics in much of his own work as an economist. I guess the "philosophies" from Harvard that are "bullsh.t" are just the ones that you disagree with.

Your argument amounts to "I don't know what I'm talking about so I'm just going to sling out a bunch of nonsense rhetoric". About what I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 04:42 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 1,682,996 times
Reputation: 1008
One final point. You want to claim that the views that I present are only held by liberal academics who have never held a "real job" in their lives (an insult to every educator on the planet and indicative of complete ignorance).

Do you realize that the largest organizations that identify as Socialist in this country and throughout the world are organized by lower to middle-class people who work in the manufacturing sector? You show a stunning ignorance of the labor rights movement if you think that it is only the "erudite" who raise the issues that I am raising, but then again almost everything that you've argued rests not on making a point that can stand alone, but on producing a fallacious representation of your opponent.

For those that are still reading this ridiculous thread and have an interest in what I'm saying, here's a video about workers in Argentina who hold these absurdly "erudite" views:

The.Take.2004.avi with English subtitles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 04:57 PM
 
5,915 posts, read 4,164,322 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by carribean joe View Post
You try to get mileage out of gibberish. In the words of Thomas Sowell, "Anyone who looks through enough statistics will eventually find numbers that seem to confirm a given vision." In the end friend, you will lose. You will lose because this is still a great country with many intelligent people that do not buy into the Harvard bullsh.t philosphies of the "Visions of the Anointed". The "erudite" have never held a real job, never created anything, they teach because they cannot do. They manage to draw in enough allegiance from like minded stooges to promote ideologies they believe will subjugate the world to their tunnel vision bullsh.t version of utopia. They have always been. Truth is given the need to fend for themselves, they will be the first to meet destruction.
Very well put.
It is never a good idea to let a person with no executive experience run a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 1,682,996 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Very well put.
It is never a good idea to let a person with no executive experience run a country.
Indeed. Never elect a president who hasn't been president before. Makes lots of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 05:30 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,741 posts, read 3,090,023 times
Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Indeed. Never elect a president who hasn't been president before. Makes lots of sense.
HA!!

That's not what he meant, but it's a good line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
 
5,915 posts, read 4,164,322 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Indeed. Never elect a president who hasn't been president before. Makes lots of sense.
To acquire executive experience you can serve as the governor of a state for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 06:23 PM
 
2,127 posts, read 1,682,996 times
Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
To acquire executive experience you can serve as the governor of a state for example.
Okay, so being a senator is not enough, but governor is okay? Your point is pretty incoherent since I can't think of anyone who has become a president without previous political experience.

Nevermind the fact that that's not even what carribeanjoe was rambling about, he's talking about academics, who apparently don't have "real jobs," and will be "the first to meet destruction".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2010, 07:16 PM
 
5,915 posts, read 4,164,322 times
Reputation: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
Okay, so being a senator is not enough, but governor is okay?
.
He was a senator only 143 days. Your argument is not even funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:07 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top