U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 05:18 PM

26,608 posts, read 11,147,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Thats right, but if there was no permit process, anyone could mine wherever they wanted, and open as many mines as they wanted, and then mine all of the gold to quickly.

And yes it does, because then you have to get new construction permits, and all of that other stuff to go along with it.

They regulate the size of the gold mines, just like they regulate the size of farms.
"mine all of the gold to quickly" what does that mean? is it bad to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,004,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
"mine all of the gold to quickly" what does that mean? is it bad to do that?
Law of supply and demand.

Supply increases to a level higher than demand, and the price goes down.

Supply decreases to a level lower than demand, price goes up.

The governments goal is to make the supply and demand meet, while ensuring that there is more goal to get tomorrow.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:12 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,677,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Rand Paul: Government should not regulate mine industry - Federal Eye -

Rand Paul: Congress has no business protecting miners - The Hill's Healthwatch

"The bottom line is: I'm not an expert, so don't give me the power in Washington to be making rules. You live here, and you have to work in the mines. You'd try to make good rules to protect your people here. If you don't, I'm thinking that no one will apply for those jobs."
How clueless is that family?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:25 PM

32,099 posts, read 16,506,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So individual states have people too dumb to make their own regulations, is that your thinking? You're way off base and haven't given this much thought. Rand is a heck of a lot smarter than you. He understands a state has alot more to offer on safety regulations than the Federal government since they can impose regulations aimed at their specific industries. Each state can focus on their own needs and as well as avoiding the costly extra layer of the federal government.
And with coal being mined cheaper the more you skimp on safety, this will provide each state with a clear economic motive to make their rules as laissez-faire and non-intrusive as possible. The industry has made it clear that it's perfectly OK with dead miners as part of doing business.

Of course Rand Paul has gone on record as saying that mountaintop removal mining "enhances the landscape", so nothing from him can surprise me any more.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:36 PM

31,385 posts, read 32,016,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaTwins View Post
Rand Paul wants to remove all workplace regulation aaaah! Nevermind that's technically not his position but if it was...

What would we do without OSHA! Oops here's a chart showing workplace fatalities before and after OSHA was created (h/t John Stossel):

What HAVOC! Wait a minute...no noticeable difference....you don't say
As Mark Twain once observed, there are lies, damned lies and statistics.

Timelines, as any freshman statistician will tell you doesn't prove causality.

Workplace fatalities is but one piece of the puzzle. Where are the controls for advances in medical care which reduce fatalities. So where are the numbers for total workplace injuries.

Further, what Mr. Stossel's graph doesn't show is the role of trade unions in insuring workplace safety, and the trend line of the decline of collective bargaining agreements and the government's assumption of that role.

And last but not least. Mr. Stossel's graph doesn't demonstrate the dramatic decline in workplace fatalities subsequent to the passage of the Mine Safety Act.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:18 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,004,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And with coal being mined cheaper the more you skimp on safety, this will provide each state with a clear economic motive to make their rules as laissez-faire and non-intrusive as possible. The industry has made it clear that it's perfectly OK with dead miners as part of doing business.

Of course Rand Paul has gone on record as saying that mountaintop removal mining "enhances the landscape", so nothing from him can surprise me any more.
You do realize that states politicians are voted for to right?

If the legislature and executives of these states do something that is unpopular with their citizens (mainly deregulating the safety standards) dead bodies don't look good when it comes to election day, and they won't win.

People have gotten so used to the Federal government doing everything for them, that they don't think their state does anything at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:31 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,238,770 times
I believe that the executives of a mining company should be responsible for the providing as safe a working environment as possible. If they fail to do so and miners are injured or killed because of fewer and cheaper safety measures the business executives and members of the board of directors should be personally held financially responsible for medical and disability costs of the injured and should be charged with negligent homicide and be tried in a criminal court for any deaths their policies created. This would return the responsibility back to the people that make the safety decisions.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,238,770 times
Workplace safety is far too important an issue to be left to State government corrupted by the local industries. So are many other things such as air and water pollution control. I really wonder why, except for convenience, we bother with County and State government at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:41 AM

26,608 posts, read 11,147,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
How clueless is that family?
I'd put that family up against yours any day. Unless its a battle of vapid posts.
His family is smart enough to know if a job is too dangerous for the pay they wont do it. They dont need a nanny to tell them what to do. They use their brains.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 08-04-2010 at 05:58 AM..

Old 08-04-2010, 05:44 AM

35,064 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
no let's NOT let the industry regulate itself...let's allow the STATES to regulate that industry

this should be a state issue not a fed issue

Oh, really?...

All you have to do to back up your opinion is to present a good argument for why there should NOT be a nationwide standard for mine safety.

The ball's in your court. Go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies