U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 AM
 
7,022 posts, read 5,981,938 times
Reputation: 6980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Uh....maybe if the company hired more black folks he would have ran into some black folks to shoot.
Many companies have few blacks working for them and some have none at all because blacks make up only 10-12% of the total US population. Racial disparity is not an excuse for him to kill people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,862,473 times
Reputation: 4220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Claim ? They had him videotaped and the union guy was present.
He didn't deny and decide to fight it did he ? He agreed to resign.

Don't forget..he CHOSE to use that/those gun(s) on people.
He had other avenues if he felt the company and the union were racist. Ever hear of the NAACP ?
Again...there was a video tape of sherrod used to lay claim of her racism. Was it the same union rep in the room that he supposedly tried to contact to complain about harrasment? Can union reps be racist? Unions in the Northeast have a history of racism....well....I guess the whole country does for that matter. If you know you are being railroaded and that it is just your words against the people with power and authority.....what can you say? Again...some people practice street justice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,862,473 times
Reputation: 4220
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Many companies have few blacks working for them and some have none at all because blacks make up only 10-12% of the total US population. Racial disparity is not an excuse for him to kill people.
I never said that it was. I responded to someone who pointed out all the victims were white....which is not strange if the only people around were white. Yes...it was a hate crime....cause he hated being harrased.

I don't get it. Did you people work this hard to dispell the notion that the kids in Columbine or other school shooting were being bullied and harrased?

There is a TREMENDOUS amount of disrespect white America displays towards black people. Everything we say every reason we give is always BS excuses to you all. The problem is that white folks subconsciously believe black folks have no integrity. If a black man kills people and then calls his mom to speak his last living words and says that he killed those racist who were harrasing him.......why can't you believe that? He did not call his mom and say mom....I they were accusing me of stealing and I did not do it. He did not call and say that I am sorry mom....I made a big mistake. He was very specific IN HIS LAST WORDS ON THIS EARTH. People don't waste their last words without revealing profound insights into their state of mind. People who study the mindset of rampage killers, like this and Columbine, will tell you that this fits a pattern of motive....bullying and harrasement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,648,442 times
Reputation: 1286
I've been thinking about this...

Maybe the guy really did steal from the company, but for other reasons than greed.

I'm imagining that I work hard to get hired at a company only to be faced by ignorant a$$holes who bully and harass me on a regular basis. They make rude remarks that I overhear, they draw crude pictures of lynching and they try to sabotage my work (packing the truck wrong according to his GF). If I reported this behavior to my superiors and tried to contact my union rep leader and got no results, I imagine some would develop a *****ty work ethic. Job can't come to my aid when I have a legitimate gripe? Eff em. I'll take a six-pack, I take a pencil, etc. Perhaps this guy was pissed and chose to "stick it to the man" by doing something as stupid as stealing to get back at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,648,442 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I never said that it was. I responded to someone who pointed out all the victims were white....which is not strange if the only people around were white. Yes...it was a hate crime....cause he hated being harrased.

I don't get it. Did you people work this hard to dispell the notion that the kids in Columbine or other school shooting were being bullied and harrased?

There is a TREMENDOUS amount of disrespect white America displays towards black people. Everything we say every reason we give is always BS excuses to you all. The problem is that white folks subconsciously believe black folks have no integrity. If a black man kills people and then calls his mom to speak his last living words and says that he killed those racist who were harrasing him.......why can't you believe that? He did not call his mom and say mom....I they were accusing me of stealing and I did not do it. He did not call and say that I am sorry mom....I made a big mistake. He was very specific IN HIS LAST WORDS ON THIS EARTH. People don't waste their last words without revealing profound insights into their state of mind. People who study the mindset of rampage killers, like this and Columbine, will tell you that this fits a pattern of motive....bullying and harrasement.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 72,355,317 times
Reputation: 27564
Sad day in America when people try to justify cold blooded murder and portray the bad guy as a victim who should be pitied instead. Sad, sad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM
 
9,948 posts, read 6,862,473 times
Reputation: 4220
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sad day in America when people try to justify cold blooded murder and portray the bad guy as a victim who should be pitied instead. Sad, sad day.
Its always been a sad day in America because there has never been a day when racism is not alive and well. Its sad because white folks are HELL BENT on creating the illusion that white racism no longer exists. It not existing then marginalizes and discredit black agitators like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, who most whites despise. It discredits Affirmative Action. It discredits liberalism and only leaves black inferiority as the causation for the ills of the black community. The existance of white racism would validate far too many things certain type of white folks fight against and people that they don't like. When they cannot deny white racism they then turn to making it seems tlike blacks are just as racist.....and that its a wash.

If white racism does exist......then why the hell can't white people accept that this person was a victim of it? No...that does not justify what he did and not a SINGE individual has said that it does. In fact, everyone has said that it does NOT! Yet, you come with this straw man garbage reasoning saying that someone is trying to excuse a murderer. All I have done is attempted to find the REASON why he did what he did, as there is a REASON for everything. Every action creates a Reaction and his actions, justified or not, was a REACTION.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,053 posts, read 30,474,264 times
Reputation: 10490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If you know you are being railroaded and that it is just your words against the people with power and authority.....what can you say? Again...some people practice street justice.
So anytime someone feels that they might possibly be discriminated against, it's OK for them to dispense "street justice" as they see fit. Even if they're guilty of something like theft that justifies them losing their job. Fascinating. But I can't imagine why I have this crazy suspicion that you aren't advocating such practice for everybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,847 posts, read 30,289,119 times
Reputation: 22343
He felt, apparently, that there was no other way out.

Check out the mydeathspace.com post about it here.....

http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/2010/08/03/Omar_Thornton_(34)_killed_himself_after_he_shot_8_ people_because_he_was_allegedly_harassed_at_work


Nice lookin' African American man, too!

Just goes to show, you can work with someone, and never really know what they are capable of.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,541 posts, read 3,648,442 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sad day in America when people try to justify cold blooded murder and portray the bad guy as a victim who should be pitied instead. Sad, sad day.
Had to go back in this thread because I thought I overlooked the post where folks were saying this guys' actions were justified. If anything, everyone has said they're deplorable and horrible. BUT, when something like this happens, it's always important to explore the reasons, motives, etc. Why does my believing he was harassed lead you to believe that I think his actions were justified?

Last edited by ChocLot; 08-05-2010 at 12:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top