U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,299,032 times
Reputation: 13681

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No one is arguing for the right to freeload. That you keep repeating the mantra tripe of the KC Pravda shows a complete failure to understand the Proposition that passed last night.

Missouians are challenging the right of the federal government to force a purchase of a retail product of the governments choosing and imposing fines for failure to comply.

Why are you defending the big insurance companies that Obama, via the HHS Sec., will place into pools, thus reducing consumer choice? Has your Obama induced delusion led you to arguing for corporations and the oligarchy? Really?
I actually have a good deal of sympathy for this position.

As a supporter of taxpayer funded UHC, I am very disappointed that Obama bowed to special interests in the way that he did. The more so in that the voters gave him and the Democrats the majority to make serious reform happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:42 PM
 
15,721 posts, read 9,221,301 times
Reputation: 14177
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You're defending the right to skip along blithely uninsured, expecting other taxpayers and consumers to pay for your health care when trouble arises. That's freeloading, no matter what newspaper points it out.
I would be defending the right to CHOOSE. If I want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to purchase the type I want. If I don't want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to not have it. And if if trouble arises, the state should NOT be responsible for paying for my CHOICE.

Taking away my right to CHOOSE is not freeloading, it's a dictatorship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:44 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I actually have a good deal of sympathy for this position.

As a supporter of taxpayer funded UHC, I am very disappointed that Obama bowed to special interests in the way that he did. The more so in that the voters gave him and the Democrats the majority to make serious reform happen.

Please, tax those tax dollars you so desperately want to throw away on inefficient and sub-stanard health care to Britain. Their UHC system is going broke and experiencing major rationing.

Those willing to give up their liberty for security deserve neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM
 
34,990 posts, read 34,701,501 times
Reputation: 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I actually have a good deal of sympathy for this position.

As a supporter of taxpayer funded UHC, I am very disappointed that Obama bowed to special interests in the way that he did. The more so in that the voters gave him and the Democrats the majority to make serious reform happen.
That's the way it is, though, you have to negotiate with whatever powers there are that can affect the outcome. "We" all give the special interests (do you mean drug companies?) the power they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:46 PM
 
34,990 posts, read 34,701,501 times
Reputation: 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I would be defending the right to CHOOSE. If I want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to purchase the type I want. If I don't want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to not have it. And if if trouble arises, the state should NOT be responsible for paying for my CHOICE.

Taking away my right to CHOOSE is not freeloading, it's a dictatorship.
You can CHOOSE! No one is stopping you from CHOOSING!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
That's the way it is, though, you have to negotiate with whatever powers there are that can affect the outcome. "We" all give the special interests (do you mean drug companies?) the power they have.
Or, here is a novel idea.....retain your freedom and power of your your life and health care insurance and medical care choices for yourself. Radical, I know. Personal responsibility is not for the faint of heart.

Missourians voiced to the nation last night that we are NOT faint of heart. Bully us? We'll SHOW YOU!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,299,032 times
Reputation: 13681
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Please, tax those tax dollars you so desperately want to throw away on inefficient and sub-stanard health care to Britain. Their UHC system is going broke and experiencing major rationing.

Those willing to give up their liberty for security deserve neither.
You obviously do not know very much about Britain or about the National Health Service.

It isn't about liberty or security either. It is about making smart economic choices and our current system is neither smart nor economically viable in the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 PM
 
34,990 posts, read 34,701,501 times
Reputation: 6163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Or, here is a novel idea.....retain your freedom and power of your your life and health care insurance and medical care choices for yourself. Radical, I know. Personal responsibility is not for the faint of heart.

Missourians voiced to the nation last night that we are NOT faint of heart. Bully us? We'll SHOW YOU!
It shows you're ruled by chicken-with-its-head-cut-off emotion, sadly.

If you want to sell your house to pay for, God forbid, your catastrophic medical care, you can do that. You can CHOOSE. Not sure how many people are going to come into the hospital room and pick up your hand and shake it to congratulate you on your personal responsibility, though. Maybe a representative of the company that came into being to buy such emergency-dump houses, and their camera crew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 12:55 PM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,299,032 times
Reputation: 13681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I would be defending the right to CHOOSE. If I want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to purchase the type I want. If I don't want healthcare, I will CHOOSE to not have it. And if if trouble arises, the state should NOT be responsible for paying for my CHOICE.

Taking away my right to CHOOSE is not freeloading, it's a dictatorship.
Do you also want the right to choose not to educate your kids and not to have the cops come when you are the victim of a crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2010, 01:00 PM
 
29,988 posts, read 37,133,594 times
Reputation: 12760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You obviously do not know very much about Britain or about the National Health Service.

It isn't about liberty or security either. It is about making smart economic choices and our current system is neither smart nor economically viable in the long term.
I consider my life and my freedom priceless. Of course, YMMV.

The Dems could have addressed fraud and waste in the current system but they chose to ignore the other side of the aisle's repeated requests and proposals to address those under Obamacare. Is that what you call smart or economically efficient? No, Obamacare is all about giving the federal government greater centralized power by disempowering the citizens (soon to be subjects). Of course, they had to throw lots of bones to the trial attornies and Big Pharma/Health Insurance companies while they were at it.

Larger government & centralized power = more fraud and more waste
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top