U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM

43,408 posts, read 52,393,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Plus the divorce proceedings take up lots of judicial time and expenses that could be utilized for other purposes OR used to pay down deficits..

However those interested in the wealth redistribution of divorce would be quite upset if marriage didn't have state recognition.
Financial negotiations and protections can be dealt with contractually prior to the marriage if it's important to the couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,260,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Agreed.

If you want personal or financial protection, get it writing before your marriage.
Right - pay out hundreds of dollars to a lawyer for all the necessary forms instead of less than a hundred for the license and to the judge or justice of the peace.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Right - pay out hundreds of dollars to a lawyer for all the necessary forms instead of less than a hundred for the license and to the judge or justice of the peace.
There are all sorts of online resources that don't cost a thing and if you have a bank, they can be notarized for free.

I'm in favor of prenups anyway, for everyone. That would also protect more people and not tie up the legal system.

I've researched this pretty well given that I am one half of a gay couple who considers themselves 'married.'

Also, no one hates lawyers more than I do. No one.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:28 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,260,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
We've been over this over and over and over and over again.

Gay people have the exact same rights to marriage that straight people do. The law doesn't care one way or the other what your preferences are. There is no question on the application for the marriage license pertaining to it.

Now...in the name of "equal protection", you think we should define a new type of marriage that applies ONLY to homosexuals? How exactly is that fair?
And who says it would apply ONLY to homosexuals?

Old 08-04-2010, 08:30 AM

5,412 posts, read 3,456,817 times
Quote:
There are all sorts of online resources that don't cost a thing and if you have a bank, they can be notarized for free.

I'm in favor of prenups anyway, for everyone. That would also protect more people and not tie up the legal system.

I've researched this pretty well given that I am one half of a gay couple who considers themselves 'married.'
prenups wind up being litigated, and often aren't unforceable because one side, unlike normal in contract law, can "play dumb" and then the judges will look to "public policy" to conclude that it shouldn't be enforced.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
prenups wind up being litigated, and often aren't unforceable because one side, unlike normal in contract law, can "play dumb" and then the judges will look to "public policy" to conclude that it shouldn't be enforced.
Um, if you're getting divorced and there's any controversy, you're already going to have to involve lawyers. So it's not like you've created some new problem.

Not all prenups are contested or litigated.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Um, if you're getting divorced and there's any controversy, you're already going to have to involve lawyers. So it's not like you've created some new problem.

Not all prenups are contested or litigated.
if marriage were not recognized, there would be nothing to litigate.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
if marriage were not recognized, there would be nothing to litigate.
Well, I imagine there would be dissolutions of relationships that would not be amicable, and those might have to involve the civil court system regarding property, children, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 AM

26,529 posts, read 24,945,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
uhmmm

marriage is not a right....its a privilage

just like driving is not a right....its a privilage
The U.S. Supreme Court called marriage a right back in the 1960s when they struck down bans on interracial marriage. Other state Supreme Courts have said the same thing.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I imagine there would be dissolutions of relationships that would not be amicable, and those might have to involve the civil court system regarding property, children, etc.
Really?

If a boyfriend girlfriend couple broke up, there would be litigation? Becaues that's how I imagine it being treated..

I could perhaps see landlord tenant issues about evictions coming up, but can a exgirlfriend sue an ex boyfriend for support money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies