Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you treat/view light-skinned and dark-skinned blacks differently?
Yes, I do. They are very different, in my opinion. 11 11.83%
Yes, to a certain extent. 7 7.53%
Not intentionally, but sometimes. 12 12.90%
Never. 63 67.74%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:23 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

Caste system existed around the world well before the first African was brought to the Americas. It was not invented by African Americans and the caste system does not end with African Americans.

And African Americans are not bound to antiquated notions that success is tied to one's degree of European features...this is not 1920 or 1950.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:28 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
I don't see white or black. I only see different shades of brown. I'd like to see a photo of a literally WHITE and/or a BLACK person. Now that would be stunning.

I choose to leave race on the shelf and judge people by their character.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:37 PM

393 posts, read 652,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
As a black person, this is the type of question I have only heard other lack people ask. That being said unless the OP says otherwise, I'd be inclined to believe that he/she is black. Either way, racism is apart of American culture and politics, so I don't see the problem with discussing it.

However I will say that it is highly unusual for for blacks to pose this question on a majority white board for fear of airing our "dirty laundry." I've seen this topic discussed on majority black boards more times than I can remember.

All that being said, and just adding my 3 cents to the equation, as a dark skinned AA (very dark btw) I'd have to say YES there is quite a bit of ongoing discrimination based on one's complexion. But I will also say that I encounter these issues far more often amongst other blacks than I have with whites. As a matter of fact, with whites it has almost always been in a compliminatory fashion whereas with blacks and other non-whites, it was almost always in a deragatory context.
BINGO! Having myself worked in many diverse workplaces, and having the opportunity to hear this particular discussion before, this post is spot on. I have heard so many times from dark skinned blacks that they feel shunned by light skinned blacks and are for the most part looked down upon by them. They feel more discrimination from light skinned blacks than from us white folks. Its a fact that's rarely discussed in the white community because, for lack of a better word, just don't get it!
Personally I have no problem with ones color, only their character.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:43 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimes59 View Post
BINGO! Having myself worked in many diverse workplaces, and having the opportunity to hear this particular discussion before, this post is spot on. I have heard so many times from dark skinned blacks that they feel shunned by light skinned blacks and are for the most part looked down upon by them. They feel more discrimination from light skinned blacks than from us white folks. Its a fact that's rarely discussed in the white community because, for lack of a better word, just don't get it!
Personally I have no problem with ones color, only their character.
If only that were true. Everyone is aware of color. Whether or not they change their behavior (Eisenberger principle) based on it, it the issue.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times
Its practiced in the Arab,Indian,just about the whole world.
I haven't seen a dark skinned Indian in Bollywood movies.
Remember how they were saying that there were no darker skinned actresses on the telenovalas and on that spanish language channel no black anchors?(Telemondo I believe)

I don't,but then again I'm a darker skinned Arab.
I can answer as a darker skinned minority,yes.
A lot of cashiers don't put my change in my hand,they just put it on the counter.

Besides,dark skinned people have lovely,flawless skin.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Its practiced in the Arab,Indian,just about the whole world.
I haven't seen a dark skinned Indian in Bollywood movies.
Remember how they were saying that there were no darker skinned actresses on the telenovalas and on that spanish language channel no black anchors?(Telemondo I believe)

I don't,but then again I'm a darker skinned Arab.
I can answer as a darker skinned minority,yes.
A lot of cashiers don't put my change in my hand,they just put it on the counter.

Besides,dark skinned people have lovely,flawless skin.
There is obviously something alot of people are not saying...

Whether it be artifacts left over from colonization or slavery or just adopting the 'British System'...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:23 PM

943 posts, read 782,428 times
While black people are more obsessed about the issue, non-blacks obviously treat light skinned or dark skinned black people differently.

1. Light skinned black women are perceived as more attractive

2. Dark skinned black men and women are perceived as more violent

But to tell the truth I think many non-blacks are more likely to treat black people who have a stereotypically white accent or mannerisms as "good" and "intelligent" and will ignore skin tone.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
While black people are more obsessed about the issue, non-blacks obviously treat light skinned or dark skinned black people differently.

1. Light skinned black women are perceived as more attractive

2. Dark skinned black men and women are perceived as more violent

But to tell the truth I think many non-blacks are more likely to treat black people who have a stereotypically white accent or mannerisms as "good" and "intelligent" and will ignore skin tone.
mental note, learn how to conjugate the verb 'to be'...

Last edited by GreyDay; 12-07-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-07-2011, 07:29 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Default No Offense but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
I'm white and colorblind to skintone. No, I'm not being PC, I just grew up in a predominantly black lower-middle class neighborhood. I never saw a difference in black, white, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet, etc.
You really needn't concern yourself with those differences. They pose no hindrance to your life as you were born into the dominant advantaged class, no matter who you are friends with, related or married to. However, when black, Hispanic and some Asian people look in the mirror, yes, we still see color, and so does the rest of America.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:00 PM

785 posts, read 619,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
i agree that it is an issue in the black community, but that is a WHOLE OTHER topic. right now my interest is focused on the opinions of non-blacks
Of course, boo boo...why be fair about this, right? I mean, there are so many whites to call racists, while ignoring incidents of racism among blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies