U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 03:00 PM

7,342 posts, read 7,119,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepa17 View Post

Pretty harsh attack on someone who has not state his/her opinion on for/against gay marriage....

you made an assumption...

The hell I did.
Quote:
I find it amusing that the very people who denounce God, and all religious beliefs, do so to support there argument of why Gay marriage should be legal, are given the right to do so by that very God. I am sorry, Creator……

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” The Declaration of Independence

So the Bible is a book of fantasy? Then who were the foundering fathers referring to when they wrote this document that gave you the “Rights” your demanding now ?

I have also heard the argument that religion has nothing to do with this legal civil right. But our legal rights are given to us through the constitution by the Creator? So why is my religious beliefs not valid in this argument ?
I'd say your meaning is quite clear. No one who supports the fundamental right of homosexuals to marry puts the word 'rights' in quotation marks and tells us we're "demanding" them. Nor do they inquire as to why their religious views are not valid here. You insult us all when you take us for stupid. Especially when, as Wingsy pointed out, you gave your opinion in a publicly viewable poll!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:01 PM

10 posts, read 7,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
jesus was only famous because of his dad

:d:d:d

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM

10 posts, read 7,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
The hell I did. I'd say your meaning is quite clear.

If it's otherwise, say outright that you support gay marriage and stop using this thread to denigrate people who don't share your religious beliefs. There's another forum for that.

How have I denigrated anyone?

If I disagree with you does that mean I am not allowed to post?

Have you already labeld me Bigot?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:04 PM

4,047 posts, read 4,475,336 times
Quote:
Becuase we have Free will....
That doesn't make sense. We only have free will if our rights are respected. A person taking away your rights takes away your free will.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 PM

396 posts, read 631,426 times
Quote:
I have read the letters
I'm rather confident that no one who has actually read those letters in their entirety, or researched the beliefs of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, would use that quote as some sort of representation of what John Adams believed.

His opinions regarding orthodox Christianity (what people TODAY consider Christianity) were quite well known and made VERY CLEAR in his letters to Thomas Jefferson - particularly the ones after they reconciled. As were his opinions about the role religion should play in the governance of a nation.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM

481 posts, read 1,040,317 times
shock horror we are all equal regardless end of story!!!

Old 08-13-2010, 03:23 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,262,281 times
Quote:
First consider that Thomas Jefferson was not even in America during the Constitutional Convention. He was the ambassador to France at that time. Secondly, most of you were probably taught that he wrote the Declaration of Independence, but the truth is that he was one of a committee of five able men who were assigned to draft the Declaration of Independence. John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert Livingston teamed up with Jefferson to draft a document which was eventually presented to Congress. After the drafting committee presented the Declaration of Independence to Congress at least 85 changes were made to the document including the removal of almost 500 words. The myth that Thomas Jefferson was the sole author of the declaration of Independence was first introduced during his presidential campaigns against John Adams.
Could you tell me how the Declaration was "presented to Congress" when Congress did not exist for several years AFTER the Revolutionary War and it was the Declaration that told King George we were considering going to war?

Old 08-13-2010, 03:40 PM

40,005 posts, read 24,261,981 times
Quote:
Separation of Church and State - The Metaphor and the Constitution
"Separation of church and state" is a common metaphor that is well recognized. Equally well recognized is the metaphorical meaning of the church staying out of the state's business and the state staying out of the church's business. Because of the very common usage of the "separation of church and state phrase," most people incorrectly think the phrase is in the constitution. The phrase "wall of separation between the church and the state" was originally coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter to the Danbury Baptists on January 1, 1802. His purpose in this letter was to assuage the fears of the Danbury, Connecticut Baptists, and so he told them that this wall had been erected to protect them. The metaphor was used exclusively to keep the state out of the church's business, not to keep the church out of the state's business.
What part of "wall of separation" do you not understand? Walls work in both directions. Thomas Jefferson was intelligent enough to know this when he employed the metaphor.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Unitarians do beleive in God ? last time I check and all..

Please dont make this personal and attack my intelligence. I have read the letters
"Stop regurgitating what you've been told by someone else"

Rules of the internet dictate I insult you for insulting me....hummm

I will save this for later
Muslims believe in God, too. The Romans believed in multiple Gods. A belief in God, a God, is not exclusive to Christianity. Reading something does not mean you've understood something. And claiming to have a special understanding, a true understanding, does not mean you're especially intelligent. The Unitarian Church of the 18th century was an outgrowth of the Deist movement.

Old 08-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
How have I denigrated anyone?

If I disagree with you does that mean I am not allowed to post?

Have you already labeld me Bigot?
"I find it amusing that the very people who..." is almost always a lead-in to a put-down. I can't think of this sentence opener ever being anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies