Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:13 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,571,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Nope. Sorry, but YOU are the one who is wrong. You will find the 10 Commandments in neither the Capital building, nor the Supreme Court building. (If you think they are there, you should have no problem proving it.) And the swearing in on a Bible is personal preference, there being no requirement for such. And that pertains also to taking an oath of truthfulness in court, as well.
Oh, btw, what most people claim is the 10 commandments in the Supreme Court building is actually the Bill of Rights!

Sometimes I'm Right , but I can be Wrong...I don't have enough
time to research your last post , but since America Isn't A Christian
Country.....Why Are So Many Presidents Laying Their's Hands On
The BIBLE and WHY Does The Congress and Senate Have Chaplains
??????...and this is the kicker WHY until just recently
ALL MILITARY CHAPLAINS WERE CHRISTIANS....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Howest, seriously - WHERE do you get your information from? You keep posting false information, we keep shooting it down, you keep posting more. Are you just regurgitating what you read on some religious website or what?

Every president of the United States has NOT been sworn in on bible.

John Quincy Adams, Lyndon B. Johnson and Teddy Roosevelt did not use a bible. Adams actually used a law book.

As for your earlier comment about Elton John supporting domestic partnerships over marriage: a) Elton John is not a US citizen, and a civil partnership in the UK is VERY different than a domestic partnership in the US... b) the fact that some gay people don't seek marriage is about as irrelevant to the overall debate as the fact that some religious people DO. We've got loads of Christians right here on this site who support equal marriage rights for gays and lesbians... and while it's awesome that they support it, and I'm thrilled to pieces, the fact that they DO support it doesn't (unfortunately) automatically mean that their support carries more weight than the dissent of other Christians who are against it.

Great, so Elton John thinks gays should settle for domestic partnerships. He's a gay man, and in your mind, that carries some weight.

Judge Vaughn Walker thinks domestic partnership and bans against gay marriage are "separate but equal" and/or violate the US Constitution. He's a gay man... AND a conservative republican appointee.... how much weight does his opinion carry?
I May Not Be Wrong After All!!!!

Ten Commandments At The SCOTUS.....
snopes.com: Religious Symbols in the U.S. National Capital

The 10 Commandments and the Supreme Court Building

Court Split Over Commandments - washingtonpost.com

The Ten Commandments in the Supreme Court building at Firm Foundation

Supreme Court splits on Ten Commandments / The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com

U.S. Supreme Court takes a new 10 Commandments case - CSMonitor.com

CNN.com - High court split on Ten Commandments - Jun 27, 2005

Ten Commandments stunner: Feds lying at Supreme Court

Supreme Court on Public Display, the Ten Commandments, and Moses

Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM

396 posts, read 732,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Sometimes I'm Right , but I can be Wrong...I don't have enough
time to research your last post , but since America Isn't A Christian
Country.....Why Are So Many Presidents Laying Their's Hands On
The BIBLE and WHY Does The Congress and Senate Have Chaplains
??????...and this is the kicker WHY until just recently
ALL MILITARY CHAPLAINS WERE CHRISTIANS....
This time I am NOT doing your research for you... go look up the denominations of chaplains throughout history. Go look up the Katkoff decision. Look up these things for yourself instead of spouting off falsehoods and wild insinuations.

I really, really, REALLY want to know where you get some of this from... and why you seem utterly incapable of actually researching any of your claims or studying the reasons for certain things (such as chaplains in Congress) for yourself.

Incidentally... there is the House... and the Senate... and COMBINED they make up Congress. Not "...the Congress and Senate."

Old 08-23-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I May Not Be Wrong After All!!!!
Dude... at least quote the right post... I didn't even address your comment about the 10 Commandments... though if you actually READ that Snopes article you linked to? You might find some surprising information... you know, instead of just linking to articles you THINK support your contentions.

Just a thought. Reading...is...your...friend.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Dude... at least quote the right post... I didn't even address your comment about the 10 Commandments... though if you actually READ that Snopes article you linked to? You might find some surprising information... you know, instead of just linking to articles you THINK support your contentions.

Just a thought. Reading...is...your...friend.

Sorry don't have enough time to do any more research...were
the links correct or wrong..The Ten Commandments are at the
SCOTUS...My Wife had a Kidney Transplant which had some
complications...and i'm on the verge of signing a poetry pub-
lishing contract...deal...and my daughter is a principal honor
roll student who attends school out of town..got my hands
full of things to do...sometimes i'm Right , but I Can Be Wrong....
When California Had GAY MARRIAGE the GAY residents Of CALI
Didn't have anymore RIGHTS THAN The Domestic Partnership GAYS.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,996 times
Quote:
Hey I'm sorry about that I was just trying to have some FUN of
course you are more intelligent than me , but i'm still not intimidated
by auguments for the creation of the institution
of GAY Marriages..I mean you no harm..Have A Good Day...
No, you weren't.

You're just ignorant, and don't really understand the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Which is why you confused the two.

PS - "trying to have fun"? Try to come up with a face-saving dodge that actually makes some sense...

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,985,996 times
Quote:
No Sorry It's Not True....and why are the Ten Commandment in
the hallowed halls of Congress and The SCOTUS..WHY IS EACH
AND EVERY PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES SWORN IN ON A
>>>>>>>>BIBLE<<<<<<<<<<<..........
The sum total of what you think is the "Ten Commandments" on the lawgivers sculpture at the United States Supreme Court building is a pair of tablets with nothing but the roman numerals I thru X listed. But this refers to the Bill of Rights, which you'd know if you actually read the links you posted:
http://msgboard.snopes.com/politics/...cs/weinman.jpg

By the way, the next time you think that anything on the United States Supreme Court building 'proves' that the United States was founded on the Bible, try to bear in mind that the United States was founded in the eighteenth century but that the United States Supreme Court building was not designed and built until the twentieth century (the cornerstone was laid in 1932).

The South Wall Frieze does indeed display Moses. It also displays, among other lawgivers, Menes (a pharaoh), Draco (from where we get the term for harshness, 'draconian') and Confuscious. Congratulations, by your 'logic' the United States was founded on Confuscianism...

You might want to think through the implications of your arguments before you click 'submit'. Just a suggestion...

Old 08-27-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
No, you weren't.

You're just ignorant, and don't really understand the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. Which is why you confused the two.

PS - "trying to have fun"? Try to come up with a face-saving dodge that actually makes some sense...
No i'm not ignorant i'm 58 years old and have bigger fish to fry....
I did study the DOI and the Constitution , but that was a long time
ago...by the way was that your best shot at pscho warfare..I have
just a little tiny bit of mental toughness..and it will take just a little
tiny bit of mental toughness to over come that...you have a great
day....

Old 08-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
The sum total of what you think is the "Ten Commandments" on the lawgivers sculpture at the United States Supreme Court building is a pair of tablets with nothing but the roman numerals I thru X listed. But this refers to the Bill of Rights, which you'd know if you actually read the links you posted:
http://msgboard.snopes.com/politics/...cs/weinman.jpg

By the way, the next time you think that anything on the United States Supreme Court building 'proves' that the United States was founded on the Bible, try to bear in mind that the United States was founded in the eighteenth century but that the United States Supreme Court building was not designed and built until the twentieth century (the cornerstone was laid in 1932).

The South Wall Frieze does indeed display Moses. It also displays, among other lawgivers, Menes (a pharaoh), Draco (from where we get the term for harshness, 'draconian') and Confuscious. Congratulations, by your 'logic' the United States was founded on Confuscianism...

things that you just posted like I Had Web Sites To Back Up What
I Posted...just a question...so we can really start to having some fun.....
You might want to think through the implications of your arguments before you click 'submit'. Just a suggestion...
You said a mouthful , but i'm not taking you at your word...I don't
know you from Adam or Eve.......

Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
No i'm not ignorant i'm 58 years old and have bigger fish to fry....
I did study the DOI and the Constitution , but that was a long time
ago...by the way was that your best shot at pscho warfare..I have
just a little tiny bit of mental toughness..and it will take just a little
tiny bit of mental toughness to over come that...you have a great
day....
ig·no·rant/ˈignərənt/Adjective
1. Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
2. Lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular: "ignorant of astronomy".

The fact that you have consistently posted false "facts" on this thread, that you continue to post incorrect statements about the law, about homosexuality, about our history, etc. indicates that you are ignorant regarding these subjects. You apparently don't even realize that the House and the Senate combine to make Congress.

That is, by definition, ignorance - lacking in knowledge.

Yet you continue to post, again and again, information that is patently false. You refuse to research your assertions for yourself. You don't acknowledge the multitude of times your false statements have been corrected. You don't look up factual information... and I would not be surprised to find that you are repeating those false statements elsewhere, where other people LIKE YOU, who are unwilling to research things for themselves, will read those falsehoods and go off regurgitating them elsewhere... so that the ignorance can spread.

If you are too busy taking care of a sick wife and such to research your claims before you make them, perhaps you should simply stop MAKING THE CLAIMS to begin with and go take care of her instead of continuing to post in ignorance here. I sincerely hope your wife recovers well from her transplant... and I sincerely hope you will stop posting things without researching them first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies