U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:36 AM

30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I thought the PEOPLE of California already voted on this issue?

So the majority of the people now has no voice?

Hope this gets to the Supreme Court so it can be overturned.

The majority of Americans of course are against this BS.
The majority of Americans would vote their own mom off the island if given half a chance and the right ad campaign. Seriously, as a group we are not that informed or intelligent. That goodness we don't live by "majority rules" ehh? You never know who the majority will turn on next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
JBM

558 posts, read 929,691 times
This news made me so happy... I hope this would happen here in New Mexico... Nah, not New Mexico, the whole UNITED STATES. Only a matter of time... Thank you Judge Walker

Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 AM

8,096 posts, read 4,690,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I'm too tireed to fully argue, but all I will say is that laws of this nation are meant to change as generations and society does. Including the constitution...it is a living document after all.

I completely agree with you. The constitution can be changed anytime we see fit. But here is the problem. Who changed the constitution? No one.

Was there a democratic vote on the acceptability of gay-marriage? No. Did Congress(which is supposed to be representative of the majority) create a law to try to make gay-marriage accepted nationwide? No.

So if gay-marriage ends up being deemed "constitutional". It does not reflect the feelings of the people of this nation, it reflects the views of "Five" people on the supreme court. Who are not elected, and are given life-terms.

And the only reason they are even in the position to make these decisions is because the 14th amendment gives them that power. An amendment that was never constitutionally passed nor ratified.

1957 Resolution on Civil Rights Legislation

Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,334,014 times
Quote:
I'm too tireed to fully argue, but all I will say is that laws of this nation are meant to change as generations and society does. Including the constitution...it is a living document after all.

dont bother with Redshadowz, he's been parroting the Sovereign Citizens and Racists claims that the 14th Amendment was illegally ratified, despite Constitutional scholars who wrote papers that prove that it was LEGALLY ratified.

he uses papers written by racists and the statements of a President (Andrew Johnson) who was being impeached (and was) to support his argument.

It's grasping at straws, nothing more, and of course deserves to be ignored.

As to the law: FINALLY.

California should leave well enough alone.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 AM

1,105 posts, read 1,374,491 times
Quote:
Today is a great day for civil liberties and rights! God bless the justice system. It always prevails over evil and discrimination.

This is a long time coming, we are entering a new era in America.
God had nothing to do with this decision, in fact I am certain that the great enemy had everything to do with this decision.

Isaiah 5:20 "Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter"

The warning that you are doing wrong is there for you to see, the question is will you open your eyes and see it?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 5,334,014 times
Can we do without the religious rhetoric?

Old 08-05-2010, 01:11 AM

30,509 posts, read 33,322,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Can we do without the religious rhetoric?
Not really. The religious rhetoric is what drives the majority of any debate on homosexuality.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
dont bother with REdshadowz, he's been parroting the Sovereign Citizens and Racists claims that the 14th Amendment was illegally ratified, despite Constitutional scholars who wrote papers that prove that it was LEGALLY ratified.

he uses papers written by racists and the statements of a President who was being impeached to support his argument.

It's grasping at straws, nothing more, and of course deserves to be ignored.

You crack me up.

I used the claim by the Georgia Legislature in 1957.

Quote:
A memorial to the Congress of the United States of America urging them to enact such legislation as they may deem fit to declare that the 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution of the United States were never validly adopted and that they are null and void and of no effect.
Whereas, the State of Georgia together with the ten other Southern States declared to have been lately in rebellion against the United States, following the termination of hostilities in 1865, met all the conditions laid down by the President of the United States, in the exercise of his Constitutional powers to recognize the governments of states, domestic as well as foreign, for the resumption of practical relations with the Government of the United States, and at the direction of the President did elect Senators and Representatives to the 19th Congress of the United States, as a State and States in proper Constitutional relation to the United States; and
Whereas, when the duty elected Senators and Representatives appeared in the Capitol of the United States to take their seats at the time for the opening of the 19th Congress, and again at the times for the opening of the 19th and the 21st Congresses, hostile majorities in both Houses refused to admit them to their seats in manifest violation of Articles I and V of the United States Constitution
I used the claim by the President of the United States who was being impeached for disobeying an act of congress called the "tenure of office act", which was later found unconstitutional. This tenure of office act was used to keep the secretary of war, Edwin Stanton, in control of the armed forces. Edwin Stanton used the name of the president to march on the south after the civil war and put them under martial law, illegally imprisoning southerners and denying them their writ of habeas corpus and due process. Thus undermining the president as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

Edwin M. Stanton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE TENURE OF OFFICE ACT OF 1867

I used the claim of the New Jersey legislature in 1868, who made the very same claim. And New Jersey was always part of the Union, thus they had no reason to make such a claim.

Text of the 1868 Withdrawal of NJ Ratification of Amendment 14

I am sorry that you do not want to recognize these facts as reality. But do not for a moment attempt to say that I do not carry the weight of the facts.

The 14th amendment simply was not constitutional, whether or not anyone wants to do anything about it is a totally different story.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 15,428,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
You crack me up.

I used the claim by the Georgia Legislature in 1957.

I used the claim by the President of the United States who was being impeached for disobeying an act of congress called the "tenure of office act", which was later found unconstitutional. This tenure of office act was used to keep the secretary of war, Edwin Stanton, in control of the armed forces. Edwin Stanton used the name of the president to march on the south after the civil war and put them under martial law, illegally imprisoning southerners and denying them their writ of habeas corpus and due process. Thus undermining the president as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.

Edwin M. Stanton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THE TENURE OF OFFICE ACT OF 1867

I used the claim of the New Jersey legislature in 1868, who made the very same claim. And New Jersey was always part of the Union, thus they had no reason to make such a claim.

Text of the 1868 Withdrawal of NJ Ratification of Amendment 14

I am sorry that you do not want to recognize these facts as reality. But do not for a moment attempt to say that I do not carry the weight of the facts.

The 14th amendment simply was not constitutional, whether or not anyone wants to do anything about it is a totally different story.

The idea that the 14th Amendment is Unconstitutional is utterly absurd. Conspiracy Theories from the extremist of the extreme does not make it Unconstitutional.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The idea that the 14th Amendment is Unconstitutional is utterly absurd. Conspiracy Theories from the extremist of the extreme does not make it Unconstitutional.

Did you even read the links? What conspiracy theories of extremists did I mention? Those websites aren't to conspiracy theory sites, those are to historical documents held by the states of Georgia and New Jersey.

Is the Georgia state legislature a group of extremists? Was the president of the United States an extremist? Is the New Jersey state legislature a group of extremists?

I am not spouting right-wing conspiracy theory drivel. I am only here to discuss the facts. Look up the Georgia memorial of 1957 yourself. If the Georgia memorial, which was passed through the Georgia legislature in the same manner as any law, states these very things, are you really to insist that the legislature of the great state of Georgia is full of conspiracy theorists?

1957 Georgia Memorial to Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 14th amendment was unconstitutional, it is a rather simple and historical fact. Whether you or others want to acknowledge it as being true is another matter. But to be willfully ignorant in your own rejection of truth, is not to be commended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies