Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,799,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
No. Things such as this should never be put to a vote.

If we went solely off of votes, we wouldn't have interracial marriage, desegregated schools, women's rights, etc.

Gay or not, Prop. 8 was wrong. Plain and simple.
According to the people of California AND the Sup. Court of California, it was not.

Based on ONE gay judges ruling, 7 million votes were nullified.

Outrageous and headed to SCOTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 10:48 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,404,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
C'mon... by that reasoning... wouldn't a heterosexual judge be biased against the gay argument.

Geeez....
No. Because marriage as one-man and one-woman is status quo, and the widely accepted norm.

I would compare that white judges were not biased against arguments regarding constitutional protections based on race. However the difference is that there is not a disagreement that people are born or aren't born black, white, or Asian, etc. There is disagreement as to whether someones sexual preference is an innate characteristic.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,152,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
When can we have multiple wives?

Simple - just reinstate the "traditional marriage" and follow those "biblical principles" you all keep harping on about.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM

1,862 posts, read 2,377,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
He should have removed himself for any appearance of bias. Just so we arent having this conversation right now.
No... his sexuality is not a reason to remove himself anymore than a heterosexual should since by this reasoning they could be biased against the plaintiff.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,773,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
According to the people of California AND the Sup. Court of California, it was not.

Based on ONE gay judges ruling, 7 million votes were nullified.

Outrageous and headed to SCOTUS.
What is with you conservatives....you guys really do hate the Constitution.

For what now the umpteenth time....read the 14th Amendment.

Rights are not allowed to be voted upon, nor shall any state make a law or enforce laws the ABRIDGE the rights of any citizen of the United States.

Is this starting to sound like a broken record?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:51 AM

85 posts, read 81,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
I guess you've never heard of those cases where the patients parents, as legal next of kin, exclude the partner from visitation? And follow that up with going to court to seize the property that the partners acquired together, leaving the partner not only grieving but destitute?
and a legal will would have taken care of it

a legal document can nullify any 'NOK'

had the patient (prior togetting sick) taken care of the LEGALITY of the situation, the 'parents' would have had no say

Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,015,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
rita, if me and my boyfriend make a commitment, it is between us....not the government
Tax laws. Of course the government would intervene.

Quote:
why should you need the government to DICTATE that it will take 18 months to end a relationship, if it needs to end?????
Stability, mental issues, making sure that there isnt' going to be any mind changing, etc.

Quote:
my point is that if 2 people (OF ANY ORINTATION) LOVE EACH OTHER, AND ARE COMMITTED TO EACH OTHER, why should they need permission and a licence from the government
The government doesn't give "permission". That's extrapolating the situation.

What the government does, is gives the couple the ability to be seen as one in the eyes of the law.

It's not a recent thing.

It's how it's been done since marriage was first started.

Quote:
my second point is why should me and my boyfriend BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST and not RECIEVE THE SAME BENNIES as a married couple
Marriage often is seen as the final step to a "true relationship". It is seen as more stable than a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, therefore more apt to the benefits that comes with marriage. If the government handed out benefits to every flimsy couple that ever arose, there would be huge tax liabilites and other problems.

Granted, I will say that some of the benefits that are exclusively for married couples SHOULD apply to non-married if they so wished, but other things such as the tax laws I can see it applying to only married couples for that very reason of "stability".

Quote:
my issue is the GOVERNMENT DICTATION who I can marry
Which is the whole reason behind the movement to legalize gay, incest, and poly marriages.

Because once that is done, the government canNOT dictate who you marry.

Quote:
marriage should be abolished
As should research into the subject, apparently .

Old 08-05-2010, 10:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,319,771 times
One of the great things about this trial, is that all the data from studies and experts are now recorded in the transcripts and the ruling. The lies and misrepresentation from so-called "studies" from anti-gay groups like the FRC, NARTH, NOM etc have been exposed as ...well just lies and misrepresentation. Everything they presented was ripped to pieces in cross-examination.

They Prop 8 defendants apparently couldn't find any experts or credible studies to support their claims. Even their (two) so-called experts ended up doing more good for the plaintiffs case than their own.

1,273 posts, read 4,404,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
No... his sexuality is not a reason to remove himself anymore than a heterosexual should since by this reasoning they could be biased against the plaintiff.
You are wrong. Homosexuality is not an inherent characteristic, race is. The judge is trying to suggest that their are constitutional protections regarding sexual orientation, and that is not true.

8,346 posts, read 7,015,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
and a legal will would have taken care of it
This would be true if many states didn't have laws in place that allowed places to ignore any legal documents between gay couples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies