Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,093,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
When it comes to privileges and immunities, the 14th amendment tells us voting doesn't count.
People make mistakes. The Constitution makes it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Everything else you posted is an argument to a point that is irrelevant to the issue.

That is, why should they have to defend the meaning of a word past its meaning across boundaries to which you contest?

You make a single point that is relevant right at the start. They contest because of what they lack in terms of legal recognition. This is what Civil Unions are for, this is what they serve. Everything else is simply attempting to demand conformity to a view.

I have said this is in past discussions like these. While there are some states that it might be an issue, if the homosexual community put even a 1/4 of the effort they do into demanding Marriage be changed to include homosexuals into Civil unions being up to par with the federal/state/civil responsibilities and legal protections that marriage has, this would have been over decades ago.

They chose a battle which lends itself far more to demanding acceptance and thumbing ones nose in the face of those who have rational arguments against their "marriage" position than it does to actually achieving what it claims it wants.

Due to this reason, I personally hope they get nothing. They are devious, narcissistic, and belligerent and they deserve nothing more than society giving them a hard kick in the teeth for their arrogant demands.

This issue is and always has been about complete and submissive acceptance of homosexual practice. Nothing more.
I am a gay man, and if by being gay I am "devious, narcissistic, and belligerent" simply for wanting to be treated equally than so be it. I will continue to be "devious, narcissistic, and belligerent" until such a time.

Deal with it.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,127,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuckie View Post
More legislation from the bench You may as well throw voting out the window
Applying the Constitution is legislating from the bench?

I notice that this phrase gets tossed around a lot. Pray tell, what exactly did this judge "legislate?"

Old 08-06-2010, 10:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
When it comes to privileges and immunities, the 14th amendment tells us voting doesn't count.
and the 14th also says EVERYONE should get the sane privileges.....married gets more than unmarried

Old 08-06-2010, 11:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,750,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and the 14th also says EVERYONE should get the sane privileges.....married gets more than unmarried
And most legal adults have the option to change their status from 'single' to 'married' any time they want. Gays and lesbians who wish to marry the partner of their choice, however, do NOT have that option in most of this country. And THAT is what my GLBT friends and I want to change.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
And most legal adults have the option to change their status from 'single' to 'married' any time they want. Gays and lesbians who wish to marry the partner of their choice, however, do NOT have that option in most of this country. And THAT is what my GLBT friends and I want to change.

ahh...you said it OPTION

the the point is the 14th amendment states, that EVERYONE should be afforded the same privileges....therefore all marriage BENEFITS should be abolished as they are unconstitutional if some get and some dont get

why should gays get a benefit that a single/divorced/widowed person cant get

Old 08-06-2010, 11:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
Quote:
ahh...you said it OPTION

the the point is the 14th amendment states, that EVERYONE should be afforded the same privileges....therefore all marriage BENEFITS should be abolished as they are unconstitutional if some get and some dont get

The question is why should heterosexuals get a benefit that gay people cannot get.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

2,031 posts, read 2,986,676 times
Quote:
ahh...you said it OPTION

They can get it by becoming a married person. I was once single. I subsequently chose to become married. And I was able to marry the sort of person to which I am attracted -- ie, a person of the opposite sex. So it should be for all.

By your logic, government jobs including serving the military violate the Fourteenth Amendment because someone with such a job gets various benefits while someone without such a job does not.

Needless to say, your idea that the government cannot offer any options which, when taken, give varying benefits because this violates the Fourteenth Amendment is, shall we say, a novel one.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:32 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,536,306 times
Marriage is a legal status that provides protective rights to spouses. People often confuse this with a spiritual matrimony that is granted by a church.

The legal status of marriage should be allowed without regard to race, religion, or gender.

Matrimony within a church should be dictated and controlled by each individual church. A church should not be required to perform any ceremony against their doctrine.

That's my two cents.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The question is why should heterosexuals get a benefit that gay people cannot get.
they shouldnt

now answer why a 'married' should get a bbenefit that an 'unmarried' cant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies