Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:45 AM

385 posts, read 626,467 times

Advertisements

Don't like gay marriage? Don't have one! I am a tax paying good citizen who happens to be gay and I should have the right to marry whom I choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nonsense.

I aint saying dont get married, I am not saying dont be with the one you love, what I am saying is the government should not be in the marriage/civil union business

its not a right, its a privilege....if it was a right, you would not be required to get a licence

as I have stated before, why do the married folks get over 1000 benefits, while the single (or shacking up) folks dont get those benefits

why should a married couple, get to pay as one entity, yet a couple that have been together for 20 years and not married has to pay as 2 signle people,,,,,are they not both couples.....

see the point
Actually, if you are living together and only one works, then the working individual can claim the other as a dependant.

And what are these 1,000s of benefits that married people get that singles don't?

Old 08-16-2010, 06:42 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
nonsense.

I aint saying dont get married, I am not saying dont be with the one you love, what I am saying is the government should not be in the marriage/civil union business

its not a right, its a privilege....if it was a right, you would not be required to get a licence

as I have stated before, why do the married folks get over 1000 benefits, while the single (or shacking up) folks dont get those benefits

why should a married couple, get to pay as one entity, yet a couple that have been together for 20 years and not married has to pay as 2 signle people,,,,,are they not both couples.....

see the point
Because the paradigm of marriage shows more "finality" than "boyfriend/girlfriend".

If the government started extending benefits to every unmarried couple there ever was, then things would become clusterf'd rather quickly.

Which is why most states have "common-law marriages", which DO extend such benefits to unmarried couples that live together after 7 years or such.

While I do agree that government should get out of the "marriage" business, I do believe they should just hand out "civil unions" to all those seeking them.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Because the paradigm of marriage shows more "finality" than "boyfriend/girlfriend".

If the government started extending benefits to every unmarried couple there ever was, then things would become clusterf'd rather quickly.

Which is why most states have "common-law marriages", which DO extend such benefits to unmarried couples that live together after 7 years or such.

While I do agree that government should get out of the "marriage" business, I do believe they should just hand out "civil unions" to all those seeking them.
Just what is going on with the Circuit Court choosing to continue the stay on same sex marriages? in Judge Walker's ruling, he said that the prop 8 proponents had to have an "overwhelming" chance of victory in the CC and had to prove that they were the ones being adversely affected by Prop 8 among other things, both arguments considered to be weak. How could the CC have put the stay on ssm to occur this week?

Last edited by wehotex; 08-17-2010 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Just what is going on with the Circuit Court choosing to continue the stay on same sex marriages? in Judge Walker's ruling, he said that the prop 8 proponents had to have an "overwhelming" chance of victory in the CC and had to prove that they were the ones being adversely affected by Prop 8 among other things, both arguments considered to be weak. How could the CC have put the stay on ssm to occur this week?
Probably so there wouldn't be any problems just in case Prop. 8's lawyers win in the appeals court.

It's a long shot, for sure, but I understand.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
The stay gives them time to file their appeal. Then in December the 9th CC will determine if that appeal has merit. While Judge Walker can opinion that an appeal by the proponents would not have merit, in a legal sense, that's not his call to make... it's up to the 9th. So the stay is in effect until the proponents file their appeal, at which point the 9th will determine if the appeal has merit and whether or not they'll allow it to proceed.

But there's no way to judge the merit until it's filed, and they have to be given a reasonable amount of time to compile the appeal.

What the 9th ruled on, solely, was a request for a stay pending appeal, and the 9th granted it.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:51 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,594,130 times
This should be a state issue..not federal...let the States decide...

Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
The stay gives them time to file their appeal. Then in December the 9th CC will determine if that appeal has merit. While Judge Walker can opinion that an appeal by the proponents would not have merit, in a legal sense, that's not his call to make... it's up to the 9th. So the stay is in effect until the proponents file their appeal, at which point the 9th will determine if the appeal has merit and whether or not they'll allow it to proceed.

But there's no way to judge the merit until it's filed, and they have to be given a reasonable amount of time to compile the appeal.

What the 9th ruled on, solely, was a request for a stay pending appeal, and the 9th granted it.
Two interesting aspects of the Ninth Circuit's order from yesterday:
1) Due to the stay, the Ninth Circuit has expedited the appeal process. Opening and Answering briefs are now due two months earlier than per the Ninth Circuit's previous order from last week. And the case will now be heard by the Ninth Circuit in early December, with a decision ensuing no later than March, in all likelihood. That is, if the Ninth Circuit finds that the appellants have standing to appeal.
2) If the Ninth Circuit finds no standing to appeal, then the issue is resolved for California. However, the case will not then go on to the Supreme Court. As noted in an article at SCOTUSblog (linked below), abandoning the appeals process at this point could be a worthy strategy for opponents of Proposition 8, as it would head off the possibility of the Supreme Court, sometime in 2012 or 2013, striking down all laws in the nation prohibiting same-sex marriage. Because when looking at the high court, there is no five-Justice coalition which can be considered likely to overturn Judge Walker's decision. It's possible, just by no means assured or even more likely than not.

SCOTUSblog » Analysis: Prop. 8 case, less than anticipated?

Old 08-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
This should be a state issue..not federal...let the States decide...
Except for the numerous benefits at a federal level that prevents it from being a solely state issue.

Hopefully this does hit the supreme court. So they can rule that banning gay marriage is illegal, and gay marriage will be legal in all states.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
Breyer
Ginsberg
Sotomayor
Kagan
Kennedy

I see each of those five Justices voting to uphold the decision in Perry v. Schwarzenegger based on their records.
Their's record is that Homosexuals should have Equal Rights as
Heterosexuals DO...My dear Friend (Domestic Partnerships).....
are Equal To Marriage at the very Least In The State Of California
.....even if it's not on the Federal Level....that's MY POSITION ALSO
DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP EQUAL HETEROSEXUAL MARRIAGE....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies