Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,567,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
The law does not recognize homosexuals as a protected class, and rightfully so.
Actually, the laws in many states do protect citizens based on sexual orientation, and the federal hate crimes law also protects people based on sexual orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,201,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I wonder if the same people who are against gay marriage would be willing to give up their marriage and benefits?

Of course NOT! Then it is about their "so called rights" (in their words)
If civil unions granted all the rights that married hetero couples have, would gays still be fighting for the word "marriage"? Or would it be a moot point? W

I could care less what gay couples do (get married, get divorced) but I tend to think that would have been an easier road to travel and one less controversial. But not as exciting and crap stirring for those involved.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,970,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
So a homosexual activist judge told the voters of California that their vote does not mean a thing. How surprising
Just as the voters decided to prohibit a white from marrying a black man. Guess the voters in Alabama share something in common with you.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM

22,106 posts, read 19,312,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I'm not certain how this pertains to my point about the traditional link of marriage to a religious sacrement.

If you wish to update the tax code so that civil unions get the same contractual legal benefits as marriage, fine, do it. But leave marriage (a.k.a. "holy matromony") and the sanctity of that holy union of marriage before God alone....one man, one woman.
If your going by actual tradition don't you mean one man and his property??

Old 08-04-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
So a homosexual activist judge told the voters of California that their vote does not mean a thing. How surprising
lol... Comedy relief.

The voters can decide to revoke the rights of women to vote too, but it would never stand up to Constitutional scrutiny.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,013,711 times
Quote:
Same could've been said when we made interracial marriage legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
If civil unions granted all the rights that married hetero couples have, would gays still be fighting for the word "marriage"? Or would it be a moot point? W

I could care less what gay couples do (get married, get divorced) but I tend to think that would have been an easier road to travel and one less controversial. But not as exciting and crap stirring for those involved.
Aside from the fact that many people see civil unions as a second-class marriage, Republicans have repeatedly voted against even civil unions. The governor of Hawaii is a prime example of this.

Same-sex civil unions vetoed by Hawaii governor - latimes.com (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0707-hawaii-veto-20100707,0,3449228.story - broken link)

29,981 posts, read 42,775,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
DOMA, ever hear of it?....Federal law prohibits certain rights to be given the married gay couples in the states that recognize it....well that was until a US District court in my home state ruled DOMA to be unconstitutional.
see post #240

20,830 posts, read 16,970,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Civil unions are regulated and licensed by the state as well. Why did you choose not to address that and the differences between the two (civil union vs. marriage) in your post? Is it that painful to actually admit that there is traditionally a religious sacrement recognized with marriage?
Easily the most confusing post so far. A mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If your going by actual tradition don't you mean one man and his property??
Yes, I agree. And real traditionalists should also believe that a husband has a right to rape his wife. I don't see how a true conservative could disagree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies