Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Well we're not out of the woods yet, ask any Baby Boomer, they were going to be the generation that ended war and poverty, cured cancer, and brought Peace on Earth. They still might if you ask me, unless we beat them to it
I have friends my age who are medical students at Harvard and Tufts....I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't already the way they describe some of the work they do in labs and research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:11 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default Won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
That's a stretch and a half.

It's not about society getting over the fact that gays be accepted for "who they are", according to the gays, it's about the benefits that the word "marriage" will "bring" to them vs. the existing benefits allowed by a civil union.

A full-on effort aimed at changing the law with respect to what civil unions entail would have been much less crap stirring and probably supported by a lot more people.
unless straights can get civil unions also. If not, then it is separate but equal. Straight you get marriage. Gay you get civil union. You are singling out a certain group of people for different treatment.

Besides the privacy issues, it was also an agrument in Lawrence v. Texas. It was against the law for gays to engage in sodomy, but not against the law for straights. See it?

Old 08-04-2010, 10:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,943,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
I have friends my age who are medical students at Harvard and Tufts....I wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't already the way they describe some of the work they do in labs and research.
Nice, well I took the business route after floundering at UCF for 2 years. Very happy would not trade a thing. I even attended NORML, GLBT/Straight Union, and Catholic Campus Ministries meetings from time to time. Best of luck to your friends, they'll change the world and I'll hopefully have my own business so I can finally keep some change myself to start a family. I hope every person gay, straight, bi, or all of the above has the same chance to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, whatever that may be. That mindset is truly the American way and how I wish more Conservatives would stand up for that and detest party leaders and members who suggest otherwise and attempt to legislate morality. Good night from the Sunshine State.

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 08-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: spelling, man it's late EST

Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Nice, well I took the business route after floundering at UCF for 2 years. Very happy would not trade a thing. I even attended NORML, GLBT/Straight Union, and Catholic Campus Ministries meetings from time to time. Best of luck to your friends, they'll change the world and I'll hopefully have my own business so I can finally keep some change myself to start a family. I hope every person gay, straight, bi, or all of the above has the same chance to pursue life, liberty, and happiness, whatever that may be. That mindset is truly the American way and how I wish more Conservatives would stand up for that and detest party leaders and members who suggest otherwise and attempt to legislate morality. Good night from the Sunshine State.
Ted Olsen has recently entered my personal pantheon. I do understand why people would be "fiscally" conservative, but socially conservative...they are definitely lying to themselves. There's no room for that in today's world.

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,697,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
there's no reason to expand the definition of Marriage to
One Man One Woman...One Man One Man...One Woman One Woman.

YouTube - ‪Betty Bowers Explains Traditional Marriage to Everyone Else‬‎

Old 08-04-2010, 10:45 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
I'm so sick of these christians in this country... worry about your own f*ckin family... there's a reason why your daughters come home knocked up by their boyfriends and your sons end up in jail or worthless losers... because you aren't taking care enough of YOUR OWN HOUSE.. you're up in everyone else's with your self righteous $hit...
enough! we won't take it anymore! it's time people tell you to sit down and shut up! WE DON'T CARE what you think..

Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, that's why the Constitution provides protections for minorities against the tyranny of the majority. Which is surprising as often as you use that line.
It's sex. ~ i shake my head ~

Old 08-04-2010, 10:52 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I'm so sick of these christians in this country... worry about your own f*ckin family... there's a reason why your daughters come home knocked up by their boyfriends and your sons end up in jail or worthless losers... because you aren't taking care enough of YOUR OWN HOUSE.. you're up in everyone else's with your self righteous $hit...
enough! we won't take it anymore! it's time people tell you to sit down and shut up! WE DON'T CARE what you think..
that you should chill out.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Judge being gay a nonissue during Prop. 8 trial - SFGate

I can't work up any enthusiasm about this issue, pro or con, but it strikes me that the judge being gay creates a problem about his ability to rule in an impartial manner.
LOL.....by the convoluted logic of your post then a heterosexual judge could not give an unbiased judgement either!

Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
that you should chill out.
chill out??? easy for someone to say that hasn't had to feel like they must "ask" for their rights by bigots who hide their bigotry in their religion..
you can call it what you want.. but bigotry is bigotry.. I refuse to make excuses for the "religious" people.. grow a friggin spine and a brain and think for yourself for once.. otherwise you end up a bigot by default and you inheret the label due to your own ignorance...jesus wouldn't be fighting to change governments and public policy.. he'd be a silent example of perfection.. in otherwords.. jesus wouldn't be a huge a$$hole about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies