Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
You think you've won something, well bully for you. Check your prize at the door on you're way out. You have the same rights as when you walked in.

It is still just sex and it is still a form of population control.

And you know what, I still don't care.
then don't post in here about it.. go worry about your own family.. they need you more than we do.. thanks

those of us that haven't been able to get married, and have our kids treated equally by insurance companies actually see a light at the end of the tunnel..
your attitude is rude and condescending.. and spoken like a spoiled brat that hasn't ever had to be on this end of the coin...
I pray that you won't ever have to be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 12:04 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
And I think this is the key. Civil unions are a legal contract while marriage is a religious sacrament.

The demand seems to be for the legal rights of gay partners when it comes to child rearing/custody, medical PoA, and insurance benefits. These are all legal contract issues not religious sacrament challenges.

* I am not Catholic either.

Is it really necessary to prevert the sanctity of the marriage sacrament in order to have legal/social equality under the Constitution? I think not. I think this is a matter to be left with the states and the state Constitutions.

Uhm, who says marriage is a religious sacrament? Last time I checked, atheists can get married.

And what if my religion and my God approve of same sex marriages?

I'm afraid your argument doesn't hold water.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:09 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
I thought the PEOPLE of California already voted on this issue?

So the majority of the people now has no voice?

Hope this gets to the Supreme Court so it can be overturned.

The majority of Americans of course are against this BS.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:11 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Technically you are right and wrong. Think about it this way. Gay-marriage was rendered constitutional on the supreme courts interpretation of the 14th amendments equal protection clause. The 14th amendment has been on the books for almost 150 years. Do you believe that if this same case had gone before the supreme court in 1868, that the supreme court at the time would have ruled gay-marriage bans to be unconstitutional? No they wouldn't have. Nor would they have ruled it to be constitutional even 50 years ago.

The basis of the 14th amendment being interpreted to prevent all levels of discrimination came during the civil rights era. All subsequent supreme court cases have followed this same line of thinking. Meaning that it was only a matter of time before someone following this same logic, would apply it to gay marriage.

The real problem is that you have unelected, life-termed supreme court judges that ultimately control the fate of this nation through their own interpretations.

Go look at some of the most important civil rights cases in our history. Show me how many have been a unanimous decision(probably none). Even more importantly, show me how many have been 5-4 decisions(even the recent Chicago gun ban decision went 5-4).

Basically, there are five people who ultimately rule our lives through their own whims. They are not elected by the people, and they are not accountable to the people. They do not reflect the will of the people. And that is the underlying problem with the system.

And anyone who supports the unconstitutional 14th amendment is a fool.

1957 Resolution on Civil Rights Legislation
I'm too tireed to fully argue, but all I will say is that laws of this nation are meant to change as generations and society does. Including the constitution...it is a living document after all.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 AM

314 posts, read 639,598 times
Quote:

For a long time the MAJORITY of the people in states all over the country thought slavery was cool. Does that mean that it was?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Get with the program....14th Amendment. No one can vote on teh rights of another individual.

Literally its the simplest thing in the world.

K?

Old 08-05-2010, 12:13 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

so if your mother in law was against your marrying her son.. she should be able to use the arm of the government from keeping you both from marrying??
ridiculous! quit with your "will of the people" noise

all this vote showed, was that the majority of voters in this country are bigots.. which SHOULD be embarrassing...

Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I am a straight male. However, what is the difference between civil unions and marriage? You know what the difference is, the label and status. It just seems a little hypocritical to say or state "I am OK with civil unions but not gay marriage". At the end, it seems as if civil union between a homosexual couple is the same as marriage. If not, can someone inform me of the difference legally.
Isn't it ridiculous that a part of the population can get so bent out of shape due to semantics? How does a gay couple getting married affect anyone else's marriage? It doesn't! Do they believe that their own relationship will get watered down and be viewed as unimportant because a same sex couple uses the term "marriage" to describe their union? They say that this issue is so not an issue to the majority of the younger generation, so it is only a matter of time before this anti-gay marriage thing is history.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Well, this is all good news. At least now wedding planners will legally be able to plan their own weddings.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:31 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
then don't post in here about it.. go worry about your own family.. they need you more than we do.. thanks

those of us that haven't been able to get married, and have our kids treated equally by insurance companies actually see a light at the end of the tunnel..
your attitude is rude and condescending.. and spoken like a spoiled brat that hasn't ever had to be on this end of the coin...
I pray that you won't ever have to be!
You 'pray', surely you jest. Spoiled brat? Go back to the post I posted under yours. Chill out---remember! It's been real and it's been fun.

There is still something you can not do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies