Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see same-sex marriage become legal where you live?
It is already legal where I live 18 6.02%
Yes 184 61.54%
No 92 30.77%
Not sure 5 1.67%
Voters: 299. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

10 posts, read 8,494 times

Advertisements

First consider that Thomas Jefferson was not even in America during the Constitutional Convention. He was the ambassador to France at that time. Secondly, most of you were probably taught that he wrote the Declaration of Independence, but the truth is that he was one of a committee of five able men who were assigned to draft the Declaration of Independence. John Adams, Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, and Robert Livingston teamed up with Jefferson to draft a document which was eventually presented to Congress. After the drafting committee presented the Declaration of Independence to Congress at least 85 changes were made to the document including the removal of almost 500 words. The myth that Thomas Jefferson was the sole author of the declaration of Independence was first introduced during his presidential campaigns against John Adams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Your so-called G-d, who is supposedly the Creator, and in whose image G-d apparently created us, created all men and women, including homosexuals.

Therefore your G-d sees himself as all manner of people, including homosexuals.

G-d is all things to all people. All people.

ALL.

Stop discriminating against your G-d's creations. I assure you, if He exists, He would not be happy with that behavior in the least.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:45 PM

396 posts, read 732,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepa17 View Post
not really....

“The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were the general principles of Christianity. I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God.”
–Adams wrote this on June 28, 1813, in a letter to Thomas Jefferson
You do realize that John Adams was a Unitarian, and that that quote has been taken, out of context, REPEATEDLY by Christians?

The man had what bordered on utter contempt for orthodox Christianity... he was quite vocal about his feelings regarding the dogma and doctrine of the majority of Christian denominations.

Fact check. Read the letters for yourself. Put the quote in context with the entire letter and with his entire life for that matter. Stop regurgitating what you've been told by someone else... it's making you look bad.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Unfortnatly God is to often use as a tool of oppresion intolerance and bigotry espacialy by the conservative religous right.

God is often misquoted....

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,727 times
Quote:
I find it amusing that the very people who denounce God, and all religious beliefs, do so to support there argument of why Gay marriage should be legal, are given the right to do so by that very God. I am sorry, Creator……

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” The Declaration of Independence

So the Bible is a book of fantasy? Then who were the foundering fathers referring to when they wrote this document that gave you the “Rights” your demanding now ?

I have also heard the argument that religion has nothing to do with this legal civil right. But our legal rights are given to us through the constitution by the Creator? So why is my religious beliefs not valid in this argument ?
If our human rights really were endowed by a "God", then why are they so easy to take away?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Your so-called G-d, who is supposedly the Creator, and in whose image G-d apparently created us, created all men and women, including homosexuals.

Therefore your G-d sees himself as all manner of people, including homosexuals.

G-d is all things to all people. All people.

ALL.

Stop discriminating against your G-d's creations. I assure you, if He exists, He would not be happy with that behavior in the least.

Pretty harsh attack on someone who has not state his/her opinion on for/against gay marriage....

you made an assumption...

Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM

396 posts, read 732,237 times
Quote:
Pretty harsh attack on someone who has not state his/her opinion on for/against gay marriage....

you made an assumption...

No assumption necessary - your vote of "no" was duly recorded and visible to anyone who cared to look.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
You do realize that John Adams was a Unitarian, and that that quote has been taken, out of context, REPEATEDLY by Christians?

The man had what bordered on utter contempt for orthodox Christianity... he was quite vocal about his feelings regarding the dogma and doctrine of the majority of Christian denominations.

Fact check. Read the letters for yourself. Put the quote in context with the entire letter and with his entire life for that matter. Stop regurgitating what you've been told by someone else... it's making you look bad.
Unitarians do beleive in God ? last time I check and all..

Please dont make this personal and attack my intelligence. I have read the letters
"Stop regurgitating what you've been told by someone else"

Rules of the internet dictate I insult you for insulting me....hummm

I will save this for later

Old 08-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If our human rights really were endowed by a "God", then why are they so easy to take away?
Becuase we have Free will....

Old 08-13-2010, 02:59 PM

489 posts, read 1,192,256 times
Jesus was only famous because of his dad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies