Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 PM

9,732 posts, read 9,686,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Do you have the ability to place yourself in another's situation? Would you deny someone food because they fell on hard times with little mouths to feed and a goddamn cell phone they need in case that future employer was to call this person for an interview? Are you that narrow minded? Stay employed, stay healthy. Get wise because you sound like you don't have an ounce of common sense.
How about STAYING HOME and wait by the LAND LINE for that call? A basic land line costs $14/month with voiemail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:57 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,615,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How about STAYING HOME and wait by the LAND LINE for that call?
How can you simultaneously look for work and pick your kids up from school while staying home waiting for the phone to ring?

And, do you mind the subsidy for cell phones, but don't mind it for landlines? Cause you've been paying for it for the last 30 years.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:33 AM

83 posts, read 182,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I dont know anyone that doesnt want to help those in need or those with a disability. Sad thing is though now being a drunk is considered a disability.

The problem people have is people being dependent on them and able body people. ALso those that abuse the system.

Like a women that gets food stamps but living with the father of her children but gets food stamps, Free daycare, free cell phone.

I know a couple that wont get married just because of that. He earns very good pay, She works for min wage to be able to get food stamps and all that.

My former driver instructor who taught me how to drive, lived with a woman with young child, who also worked for boyfriends driving school and 2 other under the table jobs, also received food stamps,,admitted she gave her Dad the food stamps <unreal>

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM

83 posts, read 182,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Besides, let's be honest: the phone isn't edible, so she probably wouldn't have used food stamps to buy it!

Somebody on another internet forum said the infamous youtube video of the Obama phone lady had 52 phones, that I find ridiculous..

Old 01-16-2013, 11:08 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,155,108 times
There are no more "luxuries" in life; they are all "necessities" now and the government has their say in that using our money.
Internet is now considered a necessity and the lifeline program will be switching to smartphones and data plans.
The pilot program is already underway. Our USC on our phone bills will "increase slightly" to enable the millions of poor access to the internet on their smart phones.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redheadstar View Post
Somebody on another internet forum said the infamous youtube video of the Obama phone lady had 52 phones, that I find ridiculous..
52 is a tad overboard. But people were getting multiple plans with multiple carriers.
The FCC "forgot" to create a central database so the carriers could check to see if the person already had a lifeline phone and each carrier is independent. So there were people with up to 10 "free" lifeline phones/plans.

Now the FCC is building a database and tells people on their lifeline website that it's only one plan per person.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,315,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The government does provide cell phones to welfare recipients. In fact the people at the library I work at call them Obamaphones. Here is one of the companies...Assurance Wireless | Cell Phone Service | Check Availability

One phone per address. Baby mama can get a phone but not the kids. Unrelated poor people sharing housing get only one phone, so it's first come first serve and the others are out of luck.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM

918 posts, read 813,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Gary..its more than that now. Yes, it's intention was for poor and rural folks but not anymore.
It's original intention remains the same. Another handout to recruit more lazy and shiftless ne'er-do-wells to supp at the public-trough thus buying their vote in generational perpetuity. It's all about POLITICIANS WHORING FOR THE VOTE.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:22 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,315,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
52 is a tad overboard. But people were getting multiple plans with multiple carriers.
The FCC "forgot" to create a central database so the carriers could check to see if the person already had a lifeline phone and each carrier is independent. So there were people with up to 10 "free" lifeline phones/plans.

Now the FCC is building a database and tells people on their lifeline website that it's only one plan per person.

I live in a house with five other unrelated people. If all are poor and get food stamps (I don't), why should they have to fight over who gets the phone?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I live in a house with five other unrelated people. If all are poor and get food stamps (I don't), why should they have to fight over who gets the phone?
If you hurry you can probably still cash in on it. I don't think the FCC has completed their database yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies