U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:19 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 1,727,792 times
Reputation: 1590

Advertisements

Well, just for one moment, after advocating for some recognition for the 99ers for a long time, whatever Ed or Sen Stabenow & her bill have lacking, let me say "suuweeet" !

Something real & on paper, finally.

Have at it, hammer it out, nit-pick ad infinitum, but it's a real bill with sponsers - let's not forget them, & if you care to, ask you senator to sign on.

"Stabenow's bill is cosponsored by Sens. Chuck Schumer(D-N.Y.), Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Carl Levin (D-Mich.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)."

Tier 5: Sen. Stabenow Introduces Bill To Help The 99ers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100805/cm_huffpost/671550 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 10,814,090 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Well, just for one moment, after advocating for some recognition for the 99ers for a long time, whatever Ed or Sen Stabenow & her bill have lacking, let me say "suuweeet" !

Something real & on paper, finally.

Have at it, hammer it out, nit-pick ad infinitum, but it's a real bill with sponsers - let's not forget them, & if you care to, ask you senator to sign on.

"Stabenow's bill is cosponsored by Sens. Chuck Schumer(D-N.Y.), Harry Reid (D-Nev.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Carl Levin (D-Mich.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Jack Reed (D-R.I.), and Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)."

Tier 5: Sen. Stabenow Introduces Bill To Help The 99ers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/20100805/cm_huffpost/671550 - broken link)
Actually, that's part of the issue at this stage -- the text of the bill is not yet available.

The nine co-sponsors -- all Democratic senators who have supported federal unemployment benefits in the past -- are hardly a surprise. The question is: what elements in the bill as proposed can be used to bring the opposition on board?

Or is the launch of the bill completely political -- just so these nine can say that they are trying, and the Republicans are once again obstructionists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 1,727,792 times
Reputation: 1590
DELETED: Personal insult

But - bill texts lagging announcements are pretty par for the course lately. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit.

The business tax breaks would be attractive under normal circumstances, plus its direction specifically at 99ers. But these are not normal times & I imagine only if it is a "clean" bill with no unsavory add-ons, will at best make it harder to vote no, rather than trying to make it easier to vote yes. Keep it clean & make the no's be no's on just 99ers & business tax incentives. Give no cover

& c'mon -- all is political. I'll take what I can get and if it is "just political", hold their feet to the fire.

At least, I will write my Senators to get on the bus, some others too. Finished or not I have a bill # & some other senators to refer them to!

Last edited by JMT; 08-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: Insulting post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 10,814,090 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
But - bill texts lagging announcements are pretty par for the course lately. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a bit.

The business tax breaks would be attractive under normal circumstances, plus its direction specifically at 99ers. But these are not normal times & I imagine only if it is a "clean" bill with no unsavory add-ons, will at best make it harder to vote no, rather than trying to make it easier to vote yes. Keep it clean & make the no's be no's on just 99ers & business tax incentives. Give no cover

& c'mon -- all is political. I'll take what I can get and if it is "just political", hold their feet to the fire.

At least, I will write my Senators to get on the bus, some others too. Finished or not I have a bill # & some other senators to refer them to!
I agree that it should be kept a single issue bill -- which is why I am awaiting the text.

As for it being "political," I meant that if the bill is only being offered so that Democrats do have a "cover" with 99ers during the midterm campaigns, that would be very disappointing.

It will be interesting to see if the Stabenow bill is a sincere attempt to add more benefits. That would require a timeline for debate and passage, an explanation for how her legislation relates to the existing EUC Tiers, and some realistic funding recommendations.

The good news is that S.3706 is already in the Senate Finance Committee for review -- and a full text is expected to be made publicly available by the GPO shortly. For me, those are the first earmarks of serious legislation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM
 
Location: Spokane via Sydney,Australia
6,611 posts, read 11,273,974 times
Reputation: 3097
Let's hope they do something before November - although come November there's still going to be an awful lot of non99ers running out of options as well.

But there are still "those" opinions out there re anything over 99 weeks -

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...979-99ers.html

Quote:
No sympathy for them. 99 weeks is almost 2 years! Are they saying in 2 years they couldn't find a job? That's absurd and unbelievable. These people are just lazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 1,727,792 times
Reputation: 1590
Hey - I appreciate the skill it takes to dive into the details, but my feeble brain demands a few heartbeats to absorb the pleasure of a victory before I hop into a fight to perfect it and get it passed !

I realize the proposal of the bill may not be perfect, but given what we had B4[0], it's a big step forward.

TODAY I don't care if it's all politics. If the bill is short & sweet & specific to 99ers, then the naysayers can be pinned to a yes or no vote on 99ers and very specific tax incentives to businesses. One can only hope the don't add a bunch of garbage to it.

I'll enjoy my little moment of [purposely] ignorant happiness before I have to go into the dirty details.

It was a long fight to get it even proposed, and will likely be a fight to get it passed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 10,814,090 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Let's hope they do something before November - although come November there's still going to be an awful lot of non99ers running out of options as well.

But there are still "those" opinions out there re anything over 99 weeks -

http://www.city-data.com/forum/busin...979-99ers.html
On another thread earlier tonight -- http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/1036777-latest-unemployment-extension-bill-part-2-a-13.html#post15350567 -- I reported that Senate aides are still not optimistic about passing another Tier, and the House is pursuing a different path. In part:

Ed Shelleby, spokesperson for Representative Jim McDermott (D-Wash.), advises that the House is instead looking at measures that already have "hugely bipartisan support." Rather than expanding weeks of federal unemployment benefits, the House measures would expand programs like the TANF Emergency Contingency Fund -- which Shelleby explains "was put in place after the recession hit to help states, basically to aid them in subsidizing jobs.

Unemployment Extension Bill for 99ers Would Add Fifth Tier of Benefits The Washington Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 PM
 
1,097 posts, read 1,727,792 times
Reputation: 1590
Quote:
Originally Posted by diorgirl View Post
I agree that it should be kept a single issue bill -- which is why I am awaiting the text.

As for it being "political," I meant that if the bill is only being offered so that Democrats do have a "cover" with 99ers during the midterm campaigns, that would be very disappointing.
Hope not - amazingly cynical, esp of Stabenow, if that were the case. Akin to baiting a starving dog. But unfortunately never totally outside the realm of possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 10,814,090 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Hey - I appreciate the skill it takes to dive into the details, but my feeble brain demands a few heartbeats to absorb the pleasure of a victory before I hop into a fight to perfect it and get it passed !

I realize the proposal of the bill may not be perfect, but given what we had B4[0], it's a big step forward.

TODAY I don't care if it's all politics. If the bill is short & sweet & specific to 99ers, then the naysayers can be pinned to a yes or no vote on 99ers and very specific tax incentives to businesses. One can only hope the don't add a bunch of garbage to it.

I'll enjoy my little moment of [purposely] ignorant happiness before I have to go into the dirty details.

It was a long fight to get it even proposed, and will likely be a fight to get it passed.
LOL! Understood! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
3,814 posts, read 10,814,090 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Hope not - amazingly cynical, esp of Stabenow, if that were the case. Akin to baiting a starving dog. But unfortunately never totally outside the realm of possibility.
BTW, I think Stabenow is sincere -- particularly about helping the long-term unemployed. But I have been less impressed by a number of her Senate colleagues who have proven themselves to be lacking in that virtue. We'll see how this plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:57 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top