U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 03:09 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,653,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lariat View Post
Where did I say that?
You didnt; I was replying to this post originally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemore View Post
Ford owes the government absolutely nothing. YIPPEE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM

34,990 posts, read 34,653,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Loans and buyouts just aren't the same thing. Obama does not own Ford, yet.
Don't you know that keeps him awake nights, grinding his teeth with rage?

The buyouts were loans -- not 100% though.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:05 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,577,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Actually, Ford Gets Ex-Im Bank Loan Guarantee To Finance $3.1B Of Exports - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100805-714069.html - broken link)

and

DOE Finalized $5.9B Loan to Ford - SustainableBusiness.com
I heard of this one today. I had not heard of the one in the WSJ.

I was speaking of when GM and Chrysler took money the first time around. Ford is a family runned business and it has been good its workers.

Thanks Delusianne.

Last edited by Freemore; 08-05-2010 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: wording

Old 08-06-2010, 06:05 PM

5,471 posts, read 3,202,831 times
Just got back from camping overnight...had a wonderful campfire.The Kissel Motor Car Company founder married a relative on my fathers side of the family [they were the smart ones]...lol...and made a internationally known automobile but disappeared in the 1930's.Wikipedia has a nice page on the Kissel car...

Old 08-06-2010, 06:59 PM

32,261 posts, read 26,123,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Does he realize Ford was the only American car company that was not in serious financual trouble 2 years ago? I am so glad he can pat himself on the back and take credit for something he had not control over. What a guy!!niiamd
where did you get the idea that ford was not in serious financial trouble two years ago? at that time ford owed more than $25 billion due to loans they took out from a number of banks a year and a half earlier. in fact ford leveraged ALL their trademarks to secure the loans. mullaly was still cutting the fat, and ford was still burning through huge amounts of money each month. and while i was confident that ford would rebound, since they always have through out history, there was still a question if the economy continued going south if even ford would make it without bankruptcy. in the end ford was well positioned due to mullalys efforts and foresight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Actually, Ford Gets Ex-Im Bank Loan Guarantee To Finance $3.1B Of Exports - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20100805-714069.html - broken link)

and

DOE Finalized $5.9B Loan to Ford - SustainableBusiness.com
the DOE loan was not a bailout, and other automakers were recipients of similar loans, including toyota. as for the ex-im bank loans, that is only guaranteed by the government, they are not, as i understand it, government loans. it is like when you would borrow money from a bank for student loans, the government would guarantee the loans, but they were to be repaid to the bank where the loan originated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Just got back from camping overnight...had a wonderful campfire.The Kissel Motor Car Company founder married a relative on my fathers side of the family [they were the smart ones]...lol...and made a internationally known automobile but disappeared in the 1930's.Wikipedia has a nice page on the Kissel car...
i will have to look that up one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies