U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-05-2010, 12:32 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,457 posts, read 3,699,010 times
Reputation: 758

Advertisements

Here I stand

There is a story of a young, but earnest Zen student who approached his teacher, and asked the Master, "If I work very hard and diligently, how long will it take for me to find Zen? The Master thought about this, then replied, "Ten years . ." ?The student then said, "But what if I work very, very hard and really apply myself to learn fast -- How long then?" Replied the Master, "Well, twenty years." "But, if I really, really work at it, how long then?" asked the student. "Thirty years," replied the Master. "But, I do not understand," said the disappointed student. "At each time that I say I will work harder, you say it will take me longer. Why do you say that?" ?Replied the Master, "When you have one eye on the goal, you only have one eye on the path."

This is the dilemma I've faced within the American education system. We are so focused on a goal, whether it be passing a test, or graduating as first in the class. However, in this way, we do not really learn. We do whatever it takes to achieve our original objective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,134,646 times
Reputation: 14006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post

This is the dilemma I've faced within the American education system. We are so focused on a goal, whether it be passing a test, or graduating as first in the class. However, in this way, we do not really learn. We do whatever it takes to achieve our original objective.
You are right, but there is a reason for it. School is not truly intended to teach people how to learn, become critical thinkers and/or help people become enlightened.

It exists to teach people to function as members of society... to be cogs in the machine. You are taught....no, trained to stand in line, to stomach hours of boring repetitive tasks, to submit to authority and to learn about (as well as locate yourself relative to) the existing social hierarchy that you will be expected to take part in as an adult member.

The system works fairly well, all things considered when one recognizes that is the underlying intent. It is also why nothing changes when it comes to education in this country. The system works for it intended purpose. The "Man" doesn't want a country of philosophers with dissenting opinions. The "Man" wants passive workers.

Finally, it is no accident that our leaders all come from the same small pool of educational institutions. They are taught how to control the masses and you are taught how to be one of the masses.

Last edited by Chango; 08-05-2010 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
 
Location: California
30,513 posts, read 33,327,796 times
Reputation: 25987
Sadly, many can't even be trained. Nevermind being enlightened thinkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
13,143 posts, read 19,134,646 times
Reputation: 14006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sadly, many can't even be trained. Nevermind being enlightened thinkers.
But is that because of bad grey matter or bad instruction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,457 posts, read 3,699,010 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

The system works fairly well, all things considered when one recognizes that is the underlying intent. It is also why nothing changes when it comes to education in this country and it is no accident that our leaders all come from the same small pool of educational institutions. They are taught how to control the masses and you are taught how to be one of the masses.
Truly sad and I am seeing Obama and gang as masters of the technique. We must restore a balance of power to Congress come November and I feel there is a great awakening to this plight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: California
30,513 posts, read 33,327,796 times
Reputation: 25987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
But is that because of bad grey matter or bad instruction?
I'd say both. Mostly the first. If the grey matter is working right you can teach yourself just about anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,457 posts, read 3,699,010 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Sadly, many can't even be trained. Nevermind being enlightened thinkers.
Enlightened thinkers are the ones who refuse to be trained to fall in line, and never ask questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
 
Location: The Heartland
4,457 posts, read 3,699,010 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
But is that because of bad grey matter or bad instruction?
Probably a little of both as it is hard to break the chains of government education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:55 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top