U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,449,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not the topic of the thread. The topic is "ABC, CBS, and NBC nightly news completely ignored the MIssouri vote, why?" Another dishonest thread by the RWs.
Did the nightly news for each of those stations report on the issue?

Admit it - ALL threads started by righties dealing with the obama disaster is dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 08:08 PM

26,529 posts, read 24,913,252 times
I know the vote was important to the conservative base of voters, but most Americans aren't that interested in a state issue. Also, it was mostly a symbolic vote because federal law trumps state law.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM

86,804 posts, read 102,103,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not on their websites dear, on their nightly news shows.
I don't live in Missouri, so I don't know if these shows aired. My local stations put the stories they air on their websites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
So, using your "logic" we're currently communicating via the "nightly news" correct?
??? Aren't you the thread starter? Isn't the thread about the supposed lack of coverage of this story on the nightly news.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,029,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I know the vote was important to the conservative base of voters, but most Americans aren't that interested in a state issue. Also, it was mostly a symbolic vote because federal law trumps state law.
Apparently it was important to more than just the conservative base or it wouldn't have passed by 71%!

However, this Missouri law, along with all the lawsuits and other states holding similar ballot box referendums on Obamacare, may force this to SCOTUS for a Constiututional review and ruling as to whether it falls within the enumerated powers of the federal government to force citizens to purchase a retail product or be fined by the IRS for failure to comply.

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 08-05-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:12 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,785,809 times
I remember when we had radio free Europe so the people in communist countries could get the real true news. I am beginning to feel like those people who were not receiving news because the government was controlling what is being said.

I am interested in how every state votes on everything. These votes are the voice of the people, unless of course the courts think they have more rights than the people and overturn their votes. I don't think any judge should overturn the peoples voice. Many years ago the Supreme Court stated that any community had a right to declare the law for that area. I think the votes cast by people in Missouri and California are important and I look forward to the Supreme Court giving back the voice to the California voters too.

Some don't understand the Tea Party saying that we want our country back. The courts being more important than the people's voice is exactly what they are talking about.

Last edited by NCN; 08-05-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 09:33 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,728,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Surely the left can't claim that this isn't news either, can they?
It is affectionately called the leftist propaganda machine. Obama=good elephants=bad ignore facts... preach the Party line.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:39 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,785,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It is affectionately called the leftist propaganda machine. Obama=good elephants=bad ignore facts... preach the Party line.
Have you heard the term "pink elephant?" We pink elephants are going to turn this country upside down and save it for our children. I am looking for a pink elephant to wear on my clothes. Jewelry industry here is your new assignment. You make them and we will wear them.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:58 PM

13,877 posts, read 19,036,333 times
What would be the point of covering it? The resolution does absolutely nothing and doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. There are more important things to cover than one of the most backwards states in the union telling Obama they didn't like his policy.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 PM

5,634 posts, read 5,572,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
What would be the point of covering it? The resolution does absolutely nothing and doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. There are more important things to cover than one of the most backwards states in the union telling Obama they didn't like his policy.
Doesn't have a legal leg to stand on? Over 14 Attorneys General would beg to differ, and Missouri is now a "backwards" state; why because they rebuked your Messiah? Bosco, you win the award for most spin of the day. Congrats.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM

29,988 posts, read 37,029,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Were you talking about Missouri, or Virginia?
Betsy McCaughey: ObamaCare and the Constitution—An Update - WSJ.com

On Monday, U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson got serious. He denied Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius's motion to dismiss a lawsuit brought by the state of Virginia challenging the new health law. His ruling stated that it is far from certain Congress has the authority to compel Americans to buy insurance and penalize those who don't.

Judge Hudson's ruling paved the way for a trial to begin on October 18, with possible appeals all the way to the Supreme Court, a lengthy process. Some states will likely delay creating insurance exchanges and slow down other costly preparations for ObamaCare until its constitutionality is determined by this case.

I believe there is a hearing scheduledin September for Florida's lawsuit against Obamacare.Holder's DOJ has requested the suit be dismissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies