Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:20 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
1So what do you suggest we do about getting wages up? 2Raise the minimum wage? 3If these are some of the highest wages you can get without a degree (but with many, many years on the job), should we educate more people? 4Who should pay for that? 5How?

1. I don't suggest anything, I'm happy with my wage.
2. Raising minimum wage? no comment.
3. "We" are not responsible for everyone.
4. The ones that are unhappy with their wages.
5. They're several government plans out there if someone needs that, but the best solution is to prevent this in the first place; educate your children.

Someone once told me, "If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,791,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
1. I don't suggest anything, I'm happy with my wage.
2. Raising minimum wage? no comment.
3. "We" are not responsible for everyone.
4. The ones that are unhappy with their wages.
5. They're several government plans out there if someone needs that, but the best solution is to prevent this in the first place; educate your children.

Someone once told me, "If you want something bad enough you'll find a way to get it."
But you said, "This is not BIG pay; this is pay that the average man should make."

The average man actually makes half or less than those wages. Do you see that as a problem, for us as a society not you as an individual. Your use of the word "should" is what I am wondering about. Why should the average man make that much?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times
This is one of the main reasons why unions were created, to give fair salaries and benefits to the working class which many hard workers are very underpaid IMO. Though unions these days have gone the way of big business and get more and more greedy by the day. Labor has built this country and key to it's survival. Unskilled labor obviously doesn't pay well nor should it really, but most blue collar workers get their education from years on the job site, while white collar in the classroom. Though in the end the blue collar gets the short end of the stick in modern times.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
Quote:
So what do you suggest we do about getting wages up? Raise the minimum wage? If these are some of the highest wages you can get without a degree (but with many, many years on the job), should we educate more people? Who should pay for that? How?
Wages will rise when we have more jobs than workers. Immigration AND encouraging people to have too many children (government tax incentives on top of the "safety net") have caused a big increase in the number of people needing jobs.

The Middle Class mortgaged their own retirements to pay for their kids to go to college, which simply meant that a college degree is now the standard (instead of the high school degree that was free). A very bad deal for the Middle Class, who now can't afford retirement. A constant race for more education means only those who sacrifice significantly more than average get the benefit of that slight edge.

On the jobs side, government needs to stop taxing and regulating small business out of existence. Small businesses provide the majority of jobs, and also an opportunity for wage-earners to start or buy a business and get out of wage-slavery.

Bigger and bigger government in response to a declining economy causes further strangling of the businesses that could turn things around. The cycle continues downward. Government cannot take the place of private industry: it is a parasite.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
First, this belongs on the Work and Employment Forum. But a lot of these jobs pay more than many college graduates earn. But I suppose we benefit as a society when every truck driver and secretary has a college degree. Or is that just what the schools say?

Old 08-05-2010, 07:01 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Quote:
But you said, "This is not BIG pay; this is pay that the average man should make."

The average man actually makes half or less than those wages. Do you see that as a problem, for us as a society not you as an individual. Your use of the word "should" is what I am wondering about. Why should the average man make that much?
I do not see it as "that much". Since my thread is merely an opinion the use of "should" applies to my point of view. The "average" man is a culmination of different ages plus salaries and not an individual. As a whole, we should earn this because increasing income is what we strive for (At least in my mind.)
I will acknowledge your point. "Should" is only my opinion to "my" expectations within my career and I could have used a different word but I was expressing my opinion.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Where does MSN get the idea an aides supervisor doesn't need a degree? Even if the aide doesn't need a degree, the sups are usually RNs or equivalent. You will not get a job like that out of high school.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
This is one of the main reasons why unions were created, to give fair salaries and benefits to the working class
Sad what they have morphed into ain't it?

Old 08-06-2010, 04:19 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does MSN get the idea an aides supervisor doesn't need a degree? Even if the aide doesn't need a degree, the sups are usually RNs or equivalent. You will not get a job like that out of high school.
This crossed my mind also. And, even though those jobs don't require a degree, going forward chances are the people who get those jobs will have degrees. The way things are going some for-profit school will open up to degree people to qualify as counter help at McDonald's.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:28 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
No, they can't.

A lead carpenter position will demand that you have at least 20 years experience in the field, and most likely will mandate that one has experience in supervision.

Other positions listed don't require a B. Sc., but require some education. And a 22 year old boiler operator ain't gonna command $67k per year.
Really with benes we pay them @70k Don't think we have any quite that young but under 30.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies