U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,204,185 times

Advertisements

Anyone noticed all of these Mormon commercials lately, trying to "bust" stereotypes ("I'm a mother but my husband does all the cooking." "I play guitar in a rock band." "I am an artist and sail boats," etc.)? Is this prep for Mitt Romney's next presidential run or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:29 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,064,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Anyone noticed all of these Mormon commercials lately, trying to "bust" stereotypes ("I'm a mother but my husband does all the cooking." "I play guitar in a rock band." "I am an artist and sail boats," etc.)? Is this prep for Mitt Romney's next presidential run or what?
Economy is bad. Churches increase attendance during harsh economic times.

The church of latter day saints is simply trying to capitalize on the situation, as does any con man.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:35 PM

10,783 posts, read 11,850,516 times
Same reason they knock on doors trying to get you to join. Churches now have gone out of public service and have become money making powerhouses. I had one of them leave pamphlets stating all the "falsehoods" in christianity and life. Stating people should never have transplants and blood transfusions, i think even against any kind of surgery. That there is no heaven, that people will rise when jesus comes to earth,..bla bla,... It's amazing people follow that crap.

Last edited by TempesT68; 08-05-2010 at 06:50 PM..

Old 08-05-2010, 06:44 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,064,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Same reason they knock on doors trying to get you to join. Churches now have gone out of public service and have become money making powerhouses. I had one of them leave pamphlets states all the "falsehoods" in christianity and life. Stating people should never have transplants and blood transfusions, i think even against any kind of surgery. That there is no heaven, that people will rise when jesus comes to earth,..bla bla,... It's amazing people follow that crap.
Don't forget the magic underwear

Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 PM

10,425 posts, read 8,784,970 times
Big deal...lawyers have the most asinine commercials both in terms of quantity and quality...so what if the LDS church has a few...and I'm not a member by the way.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,621,689 times
Two events.When Mitt Romney was up the media had a field day. The question was usually asked, Would you vote for a Mormon? The answer was usually, like hell no. The second event was the kids being taken away in Texas. They hired APCO (if I remember correctly) for PR. And now we have this onslaught of commercials.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:35 PM

208 posts, read 431,673 times
People that do not know a Mormon might think they're polygamists, sexists and bigots, said Ron Wilson, the marketing manager of from Mormon.org. When reversed, with people who do know a Mormon, they don't believe any of those myths, except the magic underwear!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:38 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,621,689 times
No actually, I still believe. I have had my share of Mormons.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Big deal...lawyers have the most asinine commercials both in terms of quantity and quality...so what if the LDS church has a few...and I'm not a member by the way.
I agree with that about lawyers.

I like the wholesome material the LDS church puts in their commercials...no preaching, just faith and family values. And I'm not a member either, by the way.

It's Scietology commercials that seem like such a waste of money. They say nothing, but sound good.

Sort of like Obama, actually.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:40 PM

13,153 posts, read 17,421,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
No actually, I still believe. I have had my share of Mormons.
And I've had more than my share of JWs. They made me want to get as far away from Christianity as I could.

Then, I found out that they're a sect, and not Biblically based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies