Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times

Advertisements

An excerpt from my link:

Quote:
Do you like to go to garage sales? Try buying all the clothes left over on Sunday afternoon. Value them according to fair market value (there are books to help you do this) and give them to Good Will. Take a deduction at FAIR MARKET VALUE. You will find that for $10, you have purchased $300-$400 of charitable tax deduction. Don’t forget to deduct the mileage to obtain the clothes (going to the garage sales). Make it a family outing. Have some fun and starve the bums.

Do you have a business? If not, you should. Try AMWAY or a similar organization. Use your garage to store the products, and take off a percentage of your electricity, rent, insurance, phone, repairs, mileage, etc. on your home as “business expenses”. Since you must make a profit 3 out of 5 years, fold the business after 2 years, and open up a different one (e.g. Mary Kay Cosmetics, Shaklee). By the time IRS gets around to audit you in three years, all physical records are gone with no hope of reconstruction. YOUR paper records will be the only source of information. Not only do you starve the bums, but who knows, you may be the next Bill Gates.
Quote:
IRS says you cannot deduct commuting costs. However, if you have a business, you may deduct the costs of obtaining materials and supplies for that business. As such, each day, do not drive directly to work. Drive to a nearby store and pick up something for your business (e.g. a pencil). Do the same on the way home. As such, the costs of travel from the store to your home/business are not deductible, but the costs from your home/business to the store are. If there is a post office nearby, renting a post office box to get “business mail” will also work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 07:57 AM

85 posts, read 81,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
An excerpt from my link:
from your second para

the irs wont allow comuting costs...but all in and around milage from site to site is deductable

example.. you comute from home to point a (work base)..but during the day you have to go from site a, to site b, to site c, back to site a....all that is deductable...just not the comute from home to 'a', and from 'a' to home

Old 08-06-2010, 08:04 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthsayer2 View Post
from your second para

the irs wont allow comuting costs...but all in and around milage from site to site is deductable

example.. you comute from home to point a (work base)..but during the day you have to go from site a, to site b, to site c, back to site a....all that is deductable...just not the comute from home to 'a', and from 'a' to home
But if on your way to and from work, you buy a pencil for the business,you can deduct the mileage...

Old 08-06-2010, 12:17 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
BS
Bs really?? A married couple with three kids, making $72,500. Owns a home paying about $1,500 a month in interest on a mortgage, + 5,500 in property taxes and $1,000 in mortgage interest will actually get $169 back in federal taxes.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:22 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Bs really?? A married couple with three kids, making $72,500. Owns a home paying about $1,500 a month in interest on a mortgage, + 5,500 in property taxes and $1,000 in mortgage interest will actually get $169 back in federal taxes.
Maybe I should get new tax man then. We file married joint and my income is about 92k my daughter is still at home so I claim her and the interest on 200k mortgage. Last year I got @1500 back from the @7k I paid in

Old 08-06-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Maybe I should get new tax man then. We file married joint and my income is about 92k my daughter is still at home so I claim her and the interest on 200k mortgage. Last year I got @1500 back from the @7k I paid in

That probably makes sense. The example I was using had three kids, and mortgage interest on a loan of about $300,000 or so. Also is your kid over 16? While you do get increased deductions for any dependents, the $1,000 tax credit is for those under 17.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
The only true fair-tax would be a "Across the board" sales tax.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times
Here's a number for you guys to chew on:

0%

In 2004, that's how much of the nation's wealth the bottom 25% held.

Here's another number:

13%

That's how much the middle 50% had (25.1-74.9% on the wealth scale)

And finally:

87%

There's your top 25%.

In other words, 1 out of every 4 Americans are essentially worth nothing. And I would assume that the bottom 50% are worth about 6-7%.

Yet, there are still sales taxes, property taxes, state taxes (many of which are regressive), gas taxes, and whatever else you can think of, that are, in their majority, flat taxes in which the poor pay a much higher percentage of their income than the rich.

And yet some ***** that the poor don't pay ENOUGH? Dear lord, people are greedy in this country. What will be enough for the top 25%? 90% of the nation's wealth? 95%? 99%? Because that's exactly where we're headed if we keep on the path we're on.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:59 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
And that's why a sales tax is the most fair. He who buys
the most, pays the most.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
And that's why a sales tax is the most fair. He who buys
the most, pays the most.
That would completely screw the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies