Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Social Conservatives; would you consider voting Democrat if the party was pro-life and anti-gay marr
Yes, I would consider voting Democrat if they were pro-life and anti-gay marriage 6 16.22%
No, I would still not consider voting Democrat 28 75.68%
Other 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 PM

301 posts, read 403,531 times

Advertisements

Social conservatives: If there was a Democrat who was pro-life and anti-gay marriage but liberal on economic policy, (e.g. higher taxes for wealthy, more help for the middle and lower class, more regulation on the banks etc..) would consider voting for him/her?

Basically, would you consider voting Democrat if the party was the same except for it's stance on abortion and gay marriage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 01:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBeautyGoodness View Post
Social conservatives: If there was a Democrat who was pro-life and anti-gay marriage but liberal on economic policy, (e.g. higher taxes for wealthy, more help for the middle and lower class, more regulation on the banks etc..) would consider voting for him/her?

Basically, would you consider voting Democrat if the party was the same except for it's stance on abortion and gay marriage?
Or, would they vote for that Dem over a Republican who was pro-choice and pro-gay marriage?

Old 08-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Or, would they vote for that Dem over a Republican who was pro-choice and pro-gay marriage?
Well I'm more trying to gauge how many "Republicans" vote that way because they get hung up the abortion issue.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:35 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Well I'm more trying to gauge how many "Republicans" vote that way because they get hung up the abortion issue.
The problem is that a lot of conservatives aren't Republican nor Democrat, while there are a lot of Democrat who are religious and therefore vote against same-sex marriage, and for pro-life issues. For example, a lot of black, asian, and hispanic Americans are religious. Most of these people voted against same-sex marriage in CA (Proposition 8), while still voting for Obama.

Another point: A lot of independent voters, who are mostly conservative, voted for Obama. The same can be said of some Republicans who opposed Bush's policies. All these people either voted against Bush, or just believed in Obama's "Hope and change."

Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:

actually you seem to have this a little mixed up: most if they are a mixture are socially more liberal but fiscally conservative.

NIta

Old 08-07-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually you seem to have this a little mixed up: most if they are a mixture are socially more liberal but fiscally conservative.

NIta
I'm a little confused on what you're correcting.
I'm essentially wondering how many socially conservative fiscally liberals there are out there.

Old 08-07-2010, 03:03 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
Indeed there are many Democrats who are socially conservative while at the same time being liberal on economic policy. The overwhelming majority are located in the Deep South and upper Plains regions. Most of them are part of the Blue Dog Coalition; Many of these Democrats are seated in districts that vote overwhelmingly Republican in presidential elections.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:43 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,728,178 times
Nope since I'm in favor of abortus in certain cases...I rather promote birth control than abortus...but I don't want any one to get a baby from a person that raped them...but on the other hand there is also a morning after pill...all better than abortus.

I'm a Conservative and btw most Democrates are very generous with other peoples money...

I agree sometimes with Democrates, sometimes with Independents but mostly with Conservatives and I'm not anti gay either...just against gay marriage...they should call it different. A marriage is between a man and a woman...JMO! Gays can have the same rights but not a marriage..again JMO!

Old 08-07-2010, 08:18 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
rather than bring me a social conservative, fiscal liberal, bring me a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. i will vote for the fiscal conservative.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:25 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,170,010 times
I wouldn't, but I'm a fiscal conservative as well as a social conservative.

Moreover the problem is even if one Democrat is conservative most (especially those running the party nation and statewide parties as well as those elected to national and state offices) are not. As we have seen on the health care vote and stimulus votes those who may proclaim themselves to be conservative Democrats either aren't or lack the backbone necessary to take a stand against the majority of their party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies