Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 11:38 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,310,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Making people work??

It would be just a matter of time.....

WWll bought the US out of the depression.

BTW, my grand mother thought FDR was great too!!!
WWII brought us out of the Depression with massive government spending.

BTW, how is a draft not making people work?

And, as I said, if you ask those who were there, or their children who heard from the parents, they feel that FDR changed things.

People got paid for their CCC jobs, thats not slavery. The wages were low, the conditions weren't bad, but those men just wanted to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM

24,834 posts, read 37,231,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

BTW, how is a draft not making people work?

And, as I said, if you ask those who were there, or their children who heard from the parents, they feel that FDR changed things.

People got paid for their CCC jobs, thats not slavery. The wages were low, the conditions weren't bad, but those men just wanted to work.
I think most people today would NOT want to work for a small amount of pay, and having most of that mailed home for them.

Yes, a draft IS forced.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Remember the CCC camps were for men between 18-24.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,310,440 times
Quote:
I think most people today would NOT want to work for a small amount of pay, and having most of that mailed home for them.

Yes, a draft IS forced.
The difference between today, and then, was food stamps and welfare. That didn't exist back then, you didn't work, you didn't eat.

Thats a powerful motivation to go to work. Men were willing to work for a dollar a day, just so they could feed their kids four times a week. And you know what, they survived on that.

The point of this is this. You said that the CCC was slavery, it wasn't. Thats what I'm telling you.

People have said that FDR did no good for anyone, while that may be true in a economics sense, its not true in a mental sense. He changed the mentality of millions of Americans. Americans who felt lost, tired, and couldn't do anything about their situation. He made them feel like they could do something about it. He gave them jobs.

As I have heard many times, nothing beats the look of satisfaction on a mans face after an honest days work. Those men just wanted to work, and make a little money to bring home to their family. No one let them do that, FDR did.

The CCC was a good thing, in my opinion, and the millions of Americans opinions who lived through the depression. We can sit here decades later and nit pick the policies, but we weren't there, we didn't live it, and its impossible to understand the mindset of the people then.

My advice, take your grandparents at their word.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
The difference between today, and then, was food stamps and welfare. That didn't exist back then, you didn't work, you didn't eat.

Thats a powerful motivation to go to work. Men were willing to work for a dollar a day, just so they could feed their kids four times a week. And you know what, they survived on that.

The point of this is this. You said that the CCC was slavery, it wasn't. Thats what I'm telling you.

People have said that FDR did no good for anyone, while that may be true in a economics sense, its not true in a mental sense. He changed the mentality of millions of Americans. Americans who felt lost, tired, and couldn't do anything about their situation. He made them feel like they could do something about it. He gave them jobs.

As I have heard many times, nothing beats the look of satisfaction on a mans face after an honest days work. Those men just wanted to work, and make a little money to bring home to their family. No one let them do that, FDR did.

The CCC was a good thing, in my opinion, and the millions of Americans opinions who lived through the depression. We can sit here decades later and nit pick the policies, but we weren't there, we didn't live it, and its impossible to understand the mindset of the people then.

My advice, take your grandparents at their word.
Nooooooo...I said it be be called slavery in time by some.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Some would call it SLAVERY.
See...I was saying some would call it that.

No work, no eat???

Way to mean.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,676,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
You know this is one New Deal project I have always thought had some merit. Why not employ folks out of work or on welfare (who are capable of working) to do road construction and the like? If Obama and the Democrats are so fired up to always emulate FDR why not emulate some of his actions that produced tangible results?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The "New Deal" failed miserably, of course they dont teach you that in school. Unemployment levels were 10% for over a decade...
actually unemployment rates never fell below 13% during that time. it wasnt until 1942 when we had full employment. as for bringing back the CCC, it was a good idea in its time, and while they did build infrastructure for use when the economy turned good again, it was still not without its problems. the biggest one is the lack of incentive for business to create jobs in the private sector during that time.

as for obama and the democrats wanting to emulate FDR, that will not happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
so how do you think the US would have fared without it
if the government had gone back to basics, and cut taxes and spending, and regulations like harding did in 1921, the depression would have lasted perhaps 18 months, and then been over. as it was the people decided to save their money, and pay off debt so that when the economy did rebound, they would be ready.

Quote:
not true, world war two did not bring us out of the depression, it was truman cutting taxes after the war that brought us up out of the financial nightmare that was the depression.

Quote:

yes FDR still have many supporters because he took bold steps to try and right the economy. the problem is that he took the wrong steps, but since he was a popular president, he was able to get away with it.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:37 PM

IMO, the 18/24 year old of today would not work at a CCC style camp.

I think this because I have hired young men in that age group. $15.00 per hour to shovel mud.

I am a 40 year old female...

They could be begin to keep up with me.

They just wanted to lean on the shovel.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,312,691 times
The CCC was a great program. Many of our national park improvements were CCC programs.

I remember touring Florida Caverns National Park (yes, we have undergound, walkable caves in Florida) and seeing how the workers that carved out the cavern for pedestrian exploration had used their "mess kit bowls" as light reflectors that remain in the ceilings of the cave to this day.

Sounds like a great plan: Get government benefits, do some work that the government needs to get done. I don't care if it's picking up trash off the roads or beaches. Habitat for Humanity has a great model.... if you get the benefit of a house under the program, you have to put X amount of hours in at someone else's job site, helping out.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:09 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,782,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'd say unions might have an issue like this since
they and George Soros* were and are the big money
behind Obama and his people

How about having people on welfare take drug testing
and do ten hours a week of community service work
so they get the idea that welfare is a hand up not a hand out !

For some silly reason a good part of Americans have bought
into the idea the Big Government knows what's best

Click on the link and see how it's already in place

*http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/i....asp?indid=977
Why community service when they can sit on their duffs and collect. Soros the anti-Christ incarnate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies