Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are multiculturalism events good or bad for our society?
Multiculturalism is very bad, divisive, and erodes unity. 6 18.75%
Multiculturalism is neither good nor bad. 7 21.88%
Multiculturalism is celebrated and inclusive therefore it is always good. 18 56.25%
I have other opinions that I will address on the forum. 1 3.13%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Since I've not been to your municipality I cannot speak for it. However, since Hanukkah is a festival of lights and in general conicides during the same time period that Christmas lights are displayed I'd suggest that base is covered too. I notice you conveniently refuse to acknowledge that Christmas lights can draw shoppers to the area and generate revenue that wouldn't exist otherwise. It comes down to not what what comprises the truth but just that YOU don't like something. Be honest!
Christmas lights are far from the festival of lights that our Jewish citizens celebrate.

I don't think they had in mind green evergreens, covered in lights as their central figure. Way to spin though.

Christmas lights don't draw me to shop. I want to spend money on my loved ones, and I want to celebrate with my family. Thats why I shop, I assume that everyone would shop that way. Maybe lights is what makes you shop. If so, I'm going to open a store next to your house, and leave up Christmas decorations all year.

No, I don't like paying taxes for religious ceremonies, or anything else at a time when our debt is sky high, and we are cutting services that are needed.

One year my dad and I were particularly hard hit. We couldn't afford a Christmas tree. But you know what, it was still Christmas, and I was still with my dad.

YouTube - ‪The Grinch's Chistmas Celebration‬‎

They didn't need their decorations, maybe we should learn the same lesson. Christmas is about love, family, and celebrating the year, and looking forward to a better one next year. its not about lights and presents. I'm all for people buying their presents, making their own house and property pretty if they'd like. What I'm against is cutting school programs so people can fulfill some misplaced need to appease God by making the town pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 02:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Multiculturasim must be framed as an appreciation for our differences while emphasizing our similarities as Americans. Unfortunately current multicultal events fail to do this. Multiculterism without national identity cohesion is a nation killer.
The thing is what is the US identity if not multi cultural? This is the nation with Little Italy's and Korea towns and Harlem.
These events are to promote and expose our different cultures to others who might not be aware of them in their own communities.

I don't see how multi culturalism promotes disunity in America.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:57 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
It's quite clear that some Americans in those border states don't want anymore Mexicans in their states, rather they're legal or illegal Mexican immigrants.
I'll agree to disagree on this

Multiculturalism events is what has made America such a great place to be especially here in the Southwest and it's gone on for decades

It's not where your from it's how you act and conduct yourself, with respect and having the opportunity to learn something as well as share.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
When has multiculturalism been forced upon the people? I cannot think of a single example.
multiculturalism in and of itself is not a bad thing, it is when it gets shoved down the poeples throats is where the problems begin. for instance when schools have english as a second language, hispanic studies, black studies, etc. and in these classes the students are taught that white people are bad, and what ever culture they are studying is good, and they dont put things into a proper historical context, then it becomes divisive. we had just such programs here in arizona for many years, and they were eventually canceled by the arizona school superintendent.

it is one thing to learn about other cultures, it is another to teach that the other cultures are better.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:00 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,516,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
I'll agree to disagree on this

Multiculturalism events is what has made America such a great place to be especially here in the Southwest and it's gone on for decades

It's not where your from it's how you act and conduct yourself, with respect and having the opportunity to learn something as well as share.
I'm not disagreeing with you. I simply posted my observation. I'm for open borders (if it's safe) and multiculturalism.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:01 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christs mass
No one is forced to participate in Christmas festivities in the United States.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
No one is forced to participate in Christmas festivities in the United States.
Read the posts much?

I have to pay taxes for a government sponsored religious ceremony. Thats force, padre.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:07 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I've recently read how many people believe multicultural events such as black history month, Hispanic heritage month, Jewish heritage month, Saint Patrick's day, Cinco de Mayo, Chinese New Year, and gay pride week are perceived as divisive and bad for our society,.

Are multiculturalism events good or bad for our society? Explain your answers.
As a guy who has a heritage that contains ancestry from a conglomeration of European countries, I'd like to have a "White Heritage Festival", celebrating past contributions from white folks. You want multiculturalism and its accompanying events, when can I have that celebration without controversy or outcry?

Old 08-08-2010, 03:12 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
multiculturalism in and of itself is not a bad thing, it is when it gets shoved down the poeples throats is where the problems begin. for instance when schools have english as a second language, hispanic studies, black studies, etc. and in these classes the students are taught that white people are bad, and what ever culture they are studying is good, and they dont put things into a proper historical context, then it becomes divisive. we had just such programs here in arizona for many years, and they were eventually canceled by the arizona school superintendent.

it is one thing to learn about other cultures, it is another to teach that the other cultures are better.
Sorry but when have you ever heard that "white" people are bad in a black or hispanic studies class?
That would be something! Both black & hispanic studies in Arizona are teaching to hate "whitey"?
My God what a conspiracy then!

Old 08-08-2010, 03:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
You can. Oktoberfest, St. Patrick's Day, Greek festivals, Celtic music fairs, Thanksgiving, Mardi Gras, and any protestant Christian event. White people are not left out in the dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
As a guy who has a heritage that contains ancestry from a conglomeration of European countries, I'd like to have a "White Heritage Festival", celebrating past contributions from white folks. You want multiculturalism and its accompanying events, when can I have that celebration without controversy or outcry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies