Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Consumerism creates aggregate demand and employment and spreads wealth to diffrent sectors of the economy
without consumerism money would just lie idle without being used or distrubuted to the economy at large.
That may be theory, but in reality the gap between the wealthy and the poor grows fastest and deepest where consumerism is rampant. (The only other system where that happens is dictatorship.) At the same time it is the basis for advertising, which in turn creates monsters such as Google and favors big corporations.

Apart from that I am not against consuming what needs to be consumed, but against consuming because of advertising, boredom, peer pressure etc., i.e. without authentic demand. A system based on consumerism in the latter sense is very vulnerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:24 AM

783 posts, read 814,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Michael P. Fleischer: Why I'm Not Hiring - WSJ.com

Oh, most definitely in obama's universe, where business is bad, evil and greedy.

He has accomplished what no other president before has done - attack and target business for his draconian, radical ideas - the very entities he NEEDS to save his sorry butt.
Business will see their health care and insurance costs drop as a result of health insurance reform most of the vhealth insurance policies that business provides their employes takes out a lot of costs from businesses.
Health insurance polices can be better provided by an individual health insurance market that will be created as a result of health care reform puting the reponsebility of health insurance on indivduals rather than than through buderning businesses.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:16 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
Consumerism does not create wealth. It just concentrates wealth into the hands of the people that finance the consumers. John Smith, the first economist, said that wealth is created by farming, mining and manufacturing. All these activities create more order. Financing just moves the wealth around and creates disorder in the economy.

OP - the man is not hiring because he is afraid of taking a risk. He should be in another business like insurance.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Skilled Contractors have 3 things to sell.
Time, Talent and Price.

Right now, Talent and Price are being taken from them by my Government, so all they have left is time.

As a consumer your going to get 2 of the three.

Quality, Service, or Price. Pick two, you'll never see all three.

Quality and service cost a little more.
Low price and fast service, there is a reason they can get right on it. Quality sucks.

Quality at a low price, well that guy is going to be so busy, your going to need to get in line.

So as a business, Obama and crew are making it real hard for me to pick my battles. So, until they quit jacking with stuff, I have no idea where I really stand at the end of the day. I'm penalized for trying to build a business, in this hostile environment.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

OP - the man is not hiring because he is afraid of taking a risk. He should be in another business like insurance.

There is a big risk in informed decisions.

It is utter stupidity to make a big jump when the rules are changing.

That is why your employed and not a business owner. Employees are and will always be totally clueless.
Go get an education about the engine that drives this nation.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Don't you have special rules for start-ups? Here there are, for instance tax exemption for the first year and other incentives such as special rates for utilities.
I agree there should be different treatment for small companies and start-ups on the one hand, and established corporations on the other. There should be a general preference for small companies.

This article is also on hiring. Odd situation, the unemployed and job vacancies often just don't match. It says there are a lot of companies seeking new employees, but they can't find the right ones.

Last edited by Neuling; 08-11-2010 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Skilled Contractors have 3 things to sell.
Time, Talent and Price.

Right now, Talent and Price are being taken from them by my Government, so all they have left is time.

As a consumer your going to get 2 of the three.

Quality, Service, or Price. Pick two, you'll never see all three.

Quality and service cost a little more.
Low price and fast service, there is a reason they can get right on it. Quality sucks.

Quality at a low price, well that guy is going to be so busy, your going to need to get in line.

So as a business, Obama and crew are making it real hard for me to pick my battles. So, until they quit jacking with stuff, I have no idea where I really stand at the end of the day. I'm penalized for trying to build a business, in this hostile environment.
How is the goverment taking your talent??

Do you mind explaining that one??

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
Business will see their health care and insurance costs drop as a result of health insurance reform most of the vhealth insurance policies that business provides their employes takes out a lot of costs from businesses.
Health insurance polices can be better provided by an individual health insurance market that will be created as a result of health care reform puting the reponsebility of health insurance on indivduals rather than than through buderning businesses.
My gosh, that is NOT what independent analysis shows. That is not what business is saying. Who to believe? You or them?

Quote:
He stated it quite clearly - he is afraid of obama's radical policies - tax, tax, tax and spend, spend, spend.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,286,173 times
Quote:
Consumerism does not create wealth. It just concentrates wealth into the hands of the people that finance the consumers. John Smith, the first economist, said that wealth is created by farming, mining and manufacturing. All these activities create more order. Financing just moves the wealth around and creates disorder in the economy.

I know people who have taken huge risk by expanding their businesses, employee base, etc. until this moron and congress took over. The bills they are passing you don't even hear about on the news are hurting the ability to hire, keep, and insure employees. Obama and his idiot party buds in congress is following the guidebook to a T and people refuse to believe it is intentional to destroy our economy and well being just so they can push the commie idea into power and control. BTW, I have the first 2089 pages of the "healthcare" bill, and very little is healthcare and all of it is about more taxes, and more control over you, me, and businesses. The perfect way to destroy a nation, and take away all rights while pretending to do something for the people. Just wondering, since the 3rd month Bush was in office, the clinton/leftest claimed it was all on him he had been there long enough to take full responsability for the economy that was failing at the end of clintons term. So why is it that now, over a year and a half after obama is in, it's still not obama's economy? his bad policy is in place, and the economy is getting worst, but his idiot supporters still want to blame Bush? YOU CAN'T HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!! IT'S OBAMA'S FAULT NOW!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies