U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 PM

41,314 posts, read 39,610,381 times

Advertisements

Michael P. Fleischer: Why I'm Not Hiring - WSJ.com

Quote:
As much as I might want to hire new salespeople, engineers and marketing staff in an effort to grow, I would be increasing my company's vulnerability to government decisions to raise taxes, to policies that make health insurance more expensive, and to the difficulties of this economic environment.
Quote:
From where I sit, the government's message is unmistakable: Creating a new job carries a punishing price.
Oh, most definitely in obama's universe, where business is bad, evil and greedy.

He has accomplished what no other president before has done - attack and target business for his draconian, radical ideas - the very entities he NEEDS to save his sorry butt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,968,529 times
I bet he's hiring illegal aliens instead of US citizens in order to avoid those costs.....

Old 08-09-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I bet he's hiring illegal aliens instead of US citizens in order to avoid those costs.....
Yeah, it sure sounds like that, doesn't it.

That was a massive leap in logic with no basis.

Those that have owned a business and made a payroll know what he is saying is true.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Yeah, it sure sounds like that, doesn't it.

That was a massive leap in logic with no basis.

Those that have owned a business and made a payroll know what he is saying is true.
I have owned a business in the past and know how difficult it is.

However I never hired illegals and never would (despite how some paint me wrongly as an "apologist for illegals" just because I see them as human beings).

Those costs are one reason why the illegal immigration problem is as bad as it is in the US ; many business owners prefer to cut out those costs BY hiring illegals. Hiring Americans and legal residents cost money, and most employers aren't as ethical as I am.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM

7,178 posts, read 6,473,667 times
Quote:
nah the Illegal alien crap just started it. most us Americans work off the book now or are independent contractors now.just like buying tobacco without paying the 2000% obama tax. we get around all that crap Americans are pretty slick at avoiding opression except the ones that depend on the gov cause they are to scared someone else wont pay for their living. what a way to live. trade your beliefs for 30 pieces of silver

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I have owned a business in the past and know how difficult it is.

However I never hired illegals and never would (despite how some paint me wrongly as an "apologist for illegals" just because I see them as human beings).

Those costs are one reason why the illegal immigration problem is as bad as it is in the US ; many business owners prefer to cut out those costs BY hiring illegals. Hiring Americans and legal residents cost money, and most employers aren't as ethical as I am.
That is pure speculation. Not every business is interested in breaking the law. And surely this gentleman is not.

The example he gives is NOT one that points to hiring of illegal aliens.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
That is pure speculation. Not every business is interested in breaking the law.
Many are, especially the bigger ones.

Quote:
And surely this gentleman is not.
We have no way of knowing this.

Quote:
The example he gives is NOT one that points to hiring of illegal aliens.
Not necessarily. By hiring illegals he would save on the costs that he mentioned.

I may not have been successful at running a small business, but having had the experience of doing so makes me understand how difficult it is, and also makes me more open to market based solutions than many of my fellow liberals here.

In the real world, people do unethical and illegal stuff all the time. In order to address the illegal immigration problems in this country we have to look at the policies and conditions that made the problems on the level that they are now, including those that may not fit comfortably with our own ideologies.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:33 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,833,904 times
I would think hiring decisions would be made on the basis of demand for your product

Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 PM

7,178 posts, read 6,473,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I would think hiring decisions would be made on the basis of demand for your product
DUH ever hear of the looming obama care. who can afford that. the fines alone will bankrupt most small businesses. careful what you wish for next time

Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
DUH ever hear of the looming obama care. who can afford that. the fines alone will bankrupt most small businesses. careful what you wish for next time
Hopefully the SCOTUS will strike Obamacare down as being unconstitutional, as the idea of the feds forcing Americans to buy a private service seems blatantly unconstitutional.

OTOH single payer - which Obama opposed - would have freed up small businesses from the burden of healthcare costs and allowed them to be competitive ; there's a reason why so many US businesses have relocated to Canada and why Canada is doing much better than the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies