Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,991,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How was this censored? It was on the news and covered in the newspapers at the time of the protest. Slapping the word "Censored" on an article for people in a different part of the country doesn't make it so.

I notice that this particular article leaves out the part where the police had to rescue from the mob two Egyptian Coptic Christians who had flown all the way from California to join the protest because they were being attacked with cries of "We don't want you here!". The men tried to explain that they were Christian and protesting the mosque themselves, but all their attackers saw were two Arabs.

Maybe your "news" source just censored that part.
I second this. This was on the news nearly every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:43 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,851,493 times
I strongly support the Mosque/Community Center going up two blocks away from Ground Zero, AND (and heres the shocker) I also STRONGLY support this Muslim friendly gay bar going up next door. I find it a bit childish that this Red Eye guy is doing this solely to try and offend fellow Americans but I still support it because diversity and understand is something we need a bit more of in this country.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,450 times
In the Fifth Century (AD), the emperor Julien, who was not a Christian (though his predecessors Constantine and Constantine's heir was) sent a letter to one of the top of his pagan priests asking him why paganism was failing to achieve the same kind of popularity as Christianity. The response was "that the Christians tend to the sick and the poor, regardless of their religion or belief". This is what made Christianity Great, the ultimate sense of forgiveness and inclusion. Now this country was not founded as a Christian country (despite what the idiots Glenn Beck and Palin will tell you), Yet it was founded largely on Christian principals. No one here should be discriminated from owning and using land based upon their religion. It is a fundamental right granted by the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

Should a Muslim cultural center be built so close to Ground Zero? No! That is a public relations nightmare and shows a deep insensitivity of the leadership of this movement to the pain that still remains from 9/11. Should we as Americans let them build this "cultural center" so close to a place that still exists as a wound in most of our memories? Absolutely! This shows the world why we are still a great country and we begrudge the beliefs of no one, as long as they come here for peace and posterity.

And lets face it, give it a year or two, it will go out of business and Donald Trump will pick it up for pennies on the dollar. New Hotel!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Really? This was widely reported? I don't recall seeing any of these pictures in any local mainstream media here but you are obviously privy to what news stories are covered and which aren't in all parts of our country. The Chicago Tribune is one of the major newspapers here. Why don't you check out their vast coverage of this protest.

For what it's worth, I didn't title the news piece "censored". I received it in an email forward, so I simply googled it to find it on the net. I stand by my assertion that the liberal media outlets did not report on the protests with any gumption. Not with the same fervor that they report about every burp or fart made by Sarah Palin anyways.
The protest was reported in the New York metro area, in print and on all the TV channels. Why on earth would I have looked up news for Chicago?

If you read my post you would see that I was saying that just because it wasn't covered outside the local area doesn't mean it wasn't covered.

NorthJersey.com: On this ground, zero tolerance

1,000 protest planned Islamic center, mosque near Ground Zero

FOXNews.com - New York Mosque Controversy Fires Up National Campaign

New York Post covered it, of course, since they're the ones that started the panic, but the search doesn't seem to pull up what it says it's pulling up.

Can't find any mention in the New York Times, though.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:06 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
The protest was reported in the New York metro area, in print and on all the TV channels. Why on earth would I have looked up news for Chicago?

If you read my post you would see that I was saying that just because it wasn't covered outside the local area doesn't mean it wasn't covered.

NorthJersey.com: On this ground, zero tolerance

1,000 protest planned Islamic center, mosque near Ground Zero

FOXNews.com - New York Mosque Controversy Fires Up National Campaign

New York Post covered it, of course, since they're the ones that started the panic, but the search doesn't seem to pull up what it says it's pulling up.

Can't find any mention in the New York Times, though.
Well you completely missed my point altogether. This is an issue of national interest, not just a local NY issue that doesn't pertain to anyone else. People from all over our country, and even all over the world, had friends and family that perished on the 9/11 attacks in NYC. This protest was NOT covered as a national news story. I never stated it wasn't covered IN NY, I said that it wasn't widely reported by our liberal media... meaning it was treated as a local issue and national news outlets ignored it. Sure, there has been a lot of coverage about the controversy over building the mosque there, but not much more than a peep about the protests that took place.

You even admit that it wasn't covered outside the local area, so I guess we agree then.

Quote:

Old 08-11-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Well you completely missed my point altogether. This is an issue of national interest, not just a local NY issue that doesn't pertain to anyone else. People from all over our country, and even all over the world, had friends and family that perished on the 9/11 attacks in NYC. This protest was NOT covered as a national news story. I never stated it wasn't covered IN NY, I said that it wasn't widely reported by our liberal media... meaning it was treated as a local issue and national news outlets ignored it. Sure, there has been a lot of coverage about the controversy over building the mosque there, but not much more than a peep about the protests that took place.

You even admit that it wasn't covered outside the local area, so I guess we agree then.
Hahaha, I guess we do.

I didn't realize it was even being covered (the mosque story itself) in regular news outlets in other parts of the country. From what people were posting, it looked like Internet "telephone" websites with a lot of misinformation. To be fair, the original misinformation, and the start of the whole panic about it, came right out of the New York Post. The day after Community Board 1 (the residential board for the area) approved the mosque plans, the Post put out this corny article about a "monster" mosque going up "at Ground Zero" and even went so far as to say it was going to open on 9/11/11. Guess newspaper sales have been slow, lol. It seems as if that article made the rounds of the Internet because that's what set a lot of people off.

Protesting is the all-American thing to do, especially in New York City (Last year I turned a corner and ran into a mob of Asians protesting with signs written in both English and Chinese--turned out to be a dry-cleaner association protesting some new tax or law that affected them and they were marching to City Hall.) I just hate when people cling to inaccurate information and believe it even when it sounds completely illogical, as in the fake opening date.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:09 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,020 times
Quote:
Hahaha, I guess we do.

I didn't realize it was even being covered (the mosque story itself) in regular news outlets in other parts of the country. From what people were posting, it looked like Internet "telephone" websites with a lot of misinformation. To be fair, the original misinformation, and the start of the whole panic about it, came right out of the New York Post. The day after Community Board 1 (the residential board for the area) approved the mosque plans, the Post put out this corny article about a "monster" mosque going up "at Ground Zero" and even went so far as to say it was going to open on 9/11/11. Guess newspaper sales have been slow, lol. It seems as if that article made the rounds of the Internet because that's what set a lot of people off.

Protesting is the all-American thing to do, especially in New York City (Last year I turned a corner and ran into a mob of Asians protesting with signs written in both English and Chinese--turned out to be a dry-cleaner association protesting some new tax or law that affected them and they were marching to City Hall.) I just hate when people cling to inaccurate information and believe it even when it sounds completely illogical, as in the fake opening date.
Yep, the mosque story itself is being covered, well here in Chicago at least. My gripe was that they didn't cover the protest at all and tried to make it seem like the people of NY (for the most part) were okay with it because Mayor Bloomberg is supportive of it. I just wish that they would show both sides to the story and the native NY'ers who are very much opposed to it, not just Bloomberg's support of it.

I agree, there is a lot of misinformation that has circulated about it... the opening date, the location, etc. People with agendas go for shock value I guess.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Yep, the mosque story itself is being covered, well here in Chicago at least. My gripe was that they didn't cover the protest at all and tried to make it seem like the people of NY (for the most part) were okay with it because Mayor Bloomberg is supportive of it. I just wish that they would show both sides to the story and the native NY'ers who are very much opposed to it, not just Bloomberg's support of it.

I agree, there is a lot of misinformation that has circulated about it... the opening date, the location, etc. People with agendas go for shock value I guess.
In the polls I've seen, despite the fact that these polls usually reflect the readership of the entity who made up the poll, of course, it seems that most of Manhattan is OK with the mosque, while most of Staten Island is not. Not sure of the other boroughs--haven't researched it that far.

IMO, the fact that the 50,000 or so residents of the neighborhood where the mosque is actually located gave it the go-ahead should carry more weight than anything. They have to live with it. I vehemenently disagree with the creeps who are calling the community board members and leaving anonymous death threats over this. That's disgusting.

Don't worry, lots of New Yorkers despise Bloomberg. Others do love him. I don't think the hate factor for Bloomberg comes anywhere near what New Yorkers' hatred for Giuliani was, but he's certainly got his enemies.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:19 AM

571 posts, read 943,158 times
Very clever. If the Muslims complain, then they look just as "bad" as those complaining about a mosque being built near ground zero. Didn't they want to "blend in" with Western Society? Guess what nearby Tribeca is know for?
If they don't complain, then they get to pray next to a gay bar, which is pretty much the antithesis of their religion. Either way, Islamo-fascists are pissed and I'm happy.

So... what should it be called? Jihard? Quarection?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:50 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,894,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntamedOhioan View Post
Very clever. If the Muslims complain, then they look just as "bad" as those complaining about a mosque being built near ground zero. Didn't they want to "blend in" with Western Society? Guess what nearby Tribeca is know for?
If they don't complain, then they get to pray next to a gay bar, which is pretty much the antithesis of their religion. Either way, Islamo-fascists are pissed and I'm happy.

So... what should it be called? Jihard? Quarection?

Didn't muslims just threaten some cartoon show for saying or doing something to insult thye ' sacredness ' of islam ?

How many muslims spoke out about ' FREE SPEECH ' when this happened, not a single one I know of . Yet look at all the American indifels cursing out their fellow citizens and defending islam .

Once again Mike Savage's theroy is correct, " Liberlaism Is A Mental Disorder ".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies