Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:58 PM

9,873 posts, read 10,779,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I'm going to take this thread down my own little path...

A few weeks ago Jesse Jackson stated that the Cleveland Cavalier owner, Dan Gilbert, acted as though LeBron James was a "plantation slave" in his, Gilbert's, written statement of outrage. Anyway, Jackson was later asked why he would bring race into it since it very likely was not a factor in Gilbert's tirade. Well, Jackson did not argue but instead said that his own comment was a result of his "cultural perspective", and that a certain latitude ought to be given because of that.

Believe it or not, I understood what Jackson meant by "cultural perspective". I don't think it was advisable for him to use the term "plantation slave", or even use race, but I could see where it would be the direction he would be inclined to go. I don't condemn him for it.

Anyway, when someone talks about Asians being "Orientals", that too is an ill-advised but understandable faux pas. It is a "cultural perspective" thing. As is mentioning "blond hair and blue eyes", which in some circles is thought of as whiteness gone too far, and thus becoming in some way undesirable symbols.

Finally, I often say that I "don't see race", but then I converse on the subject, giving my viewpoints. It almost seems hypocritical. What I mean is that I don't have any overt racial prejudices. But of course I do see race, and the things race can do in American society.
This is a good post, you give Jesse Jackson much more grace than I am inclined to, for this reason........If Jesse were Joe lunch box for Alabama, i would grant your point, but he is not, he is and has been a inside DC power player for years he has made a very GOOD living fanning the flame of race, he is the epitome of the race baiting poverty pimps, that never see's an issue that he cant turn into a racial one. Now some one needs to explain the difference between Oriental and Asian. As far as the Blue eyed Blondes , you guys are making my point, it is as though the thinking is "ok, you only need a few whites but make sure they don't have blond hair or blue eyes." It Is Political Correctness run a muck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edshaw4947927 View Post
Believe it or not, there is a pretty good chance
that these are they who are either, 1., buying the
product, or, 2., most subject to that form of
advertising.
It could be a test, but believe that entire field
runs on response data and observation.
It is
possible they could be either taking the whites for
granted or planning to obsolete the product.
At a certain point, whites tire of the association
and bail...look at MySpace; it's mostly minorities, now.
You make a good point......we all know companies spend billions on marketing research, so what is the research telling them and are they still willing to negate that for Political Correctness sake? I would have never known that about myspace......so where did all the white kids go?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:46 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,358,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
So heres the deal , obviously as much as some of us wish that we could all just shut up about race and just consider every one human, there are those who need to keep it alive , for political and financial gain. I am standing in a Verizon wireless store today.......and I notice the various advertisement and promotional posters and pictures around the store, it struck me that in all of these pictures there was a total of 16 people......of those 16 there were only 3 white people, the rest were mostly black,a couple of orientals and the rest some sort of ethnic background, of the three whites, there were definitely no blonds or blue eyes. Why is this? Political Correctness? Have companies had to go overboard to avoid the wrath of Jesse Jackson or is just purely marketing....not very many white people in the market for cell phones?
As you may have guessed, I cannot stand political correctness.
The ad you speak of however doesn't seem to bother me. Its big business targeting as many enthic groups as possible with 1 ad.
Here in America (for now) we can make money, a profit, by using our brains and finding cleverer ways to "earn" more money. This is called "profiling". Nothing wrong with that.
Actually, I'm for profiling no matter what! Why else do most folks kill a snake when they see one, they know snakes bite so killing any snake is a way to keep from getting bit! We should watch out for snakes!

Old 08-11-2010, 07:12 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,403,162 times
Quote:
So heres the deal , obviously as much as some of us wish that we could all just shut up about race and just consider every one human, there are those who need to keep it alive , for political and financial gain. I am standing in a Verizon wireless store today.......and I notice the various advertisement and promotional posters and pictures around the store, it struck me that in all of these pictures there was a total of 16 people......of those 16 there were only 3 white people, the rest were mostly black,a couple of orientals and the rest some sort of ethnic background, of the three whites, there were definitely no blonds or blue eyes. Why is this? Political Correctness? Have companies had to go overboard to avoid the wrath of Jesse Jackson or is just purely marketing....not very many white people in the market for cell phones?
I have a couple questions.

• Why does the race of the people portrayed on the poster matter anyway? It's just a poster for Verizon.
  • Who refers to Asians as orientals anymore?
  • Why does the eye and color of the three whites on the poster matter?
I do agree with you about shutting up about race though. I wish the concept was never formed in the first place. And I dislike political correctness too.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:50 PM

7,084 posts, read 12,019,179 times
I just think it's more then a little moronic to have some one champion that we should be in a post racial world, where people can see beyond the color of some one's skin, by complaining that they feel their race in under represented in marketing.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I have a couple questions.

• Why does the race of the people portrayed on the poster matter anyway? It's just a poster for Verizon.
  • Who refers to Asians as orientals anymore?
  • Why does the eye and color of the three whites on the poster matter?
I do agree with you about shutting up about race though. I wish the concept was never formed in the first place. And I dislike political correctness too.
You are right why does any of that matter? Obviously it does for what ever reason or it wouldn't be so lopsided to actual demographics, so you are asking the exact question I am. Some one please explain the difference between Asians and orientals.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM

36 posts, read 15,698 times
Quote:
It will end when people stop giving a damn if somebody calls them a racist. It only hurts if you care. Everybody is a racist, and those who scream it out accusingly the loudest and most often are the worse, but if you don't care what they say, it is of no consequence.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,647,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
OMG really YOU just said that! After going back and forth with you this morning about your useless race baiting attempt to dispel some sort of myth ...........................

You posted a thread that was intentionally meant to provoke a racial debate and then say this to someone else...

Way to go scooby!
NO....I am not anti-racial debate. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion on the topic.....I promote them all the time....as you noted. I was only pointing out the self contradicting statements of Silas. He is the one that was against the perpetuation of the topic....but he then perpetuated it.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
NO....I am not anti-racial debate. There is nothing wrong with having a discussion on the topic.....I promote them all the time....as you noted. I was only pointing out the self contradicting statements of Silas. He is the one that was against the perpetuation of the topic....but he then perpetuated it.
Well perhaps you can educate me on how to let people know the subject you are talking about with out mentioning it. Fact remains you have no intelligent contribution.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:24 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,406,955 times
Quote:
I don't see the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies