U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM
 
6,688 posts, read 3,671,278 times
Reputation: 3949

Advertisements


YouTube - Get Over It Eagles I should say.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:07 PM
 
7,557 posts, read 5,822,935 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Just listening to this in the truck yesterday & thought I should post the lyrics!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,124,938 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
why is it so hard to understand........I don't object in the least! If all verizon wants to do is have ads with zero whites go for it!! I swear these posts are making my point........ the question is WHY?
People have already explained why. Its marketing. It has nothing to do with being liberal or republican. You see one ad and you think that this is the norm? No. It has to do with marketing to people in different demographics. Just because the United States is majority white, does not mean that in New York, all of the ads have to have majority whites in it...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
 
7,557 posts, read 5,822,935 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
People have already explained why. Its marketing. It has nothing to do with being liberal or republican. You see one ad and you think that this is the norm? No. It has to do with marketing to people in different demographics. Just because the United States is majority white, does not mean that in New York, all of the ads have to have majority whites in it...
Obviously we are not talking about one ad you can flip through any magazine and see the same thing others have given other examples on this thread. Where did you get the idea that I think ads in NY should have majority of whites?
What makes you think I live in NY? Heres the deal, there must be statistics in advertising that show that maybe whites don't need as much advertising, or possibly that non whites need to see themselves in ads to make them want to buy. I really do have a hard time believing that big corporations would let political correctness dictate their ad campaigns, even when it looks like that is obviously what is happening.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,124,938 times
Reputation: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Obviously we are not talking about one ad you can flip through any magazine and see the same thing others have given other examples on this thread. Where did you get the idea that I think ads in NY should have majority of whites?
What makes you think I live in NY? Heres the deal, there must be statistics in advertising that show that maybe whites don't need as much advertising, or possibly that non whites need to see themselves in ads to make them want to buy. I really do have a hard time believing that big corporations would let political correctness dictate their ad campaigns, even when it looks like that is obviously what is happening.
I didn't say you lived there or were talking about an ad in NY, it was an example. When I flip through a Vogue, Harper's Bazaar or Marie-Claire, I do not see me represented most of the time...but that doesn't stop black women from being the biggest consumers of hair care and fashion. So no, I can not flip through any magazine and see the PC that you think you are seeing.

and whose to say that the company doesn't just want to use other races? Why does it have to be PC? America is diverse and companies are free to use whomever they please.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 AM
 
Location: Hillsboro, OR
5,715 posts, read 4,631,367 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I really do have a hard time believing that big corporations would let political correctness dictate their ad campaigns, even when it looks like that is obviously what is happening.
Only to you, Silas. Those ads cost a LOT of money and if you think Verizon does it out of some sense of PC then you're even TOS violation than I thought. The Occam's Razor Postulate says that the simplest, most direct, explanation for something is most always the correct one. Because you feel threatened by images of ethnic people and imagine that other white people do as well, you imagine that ethnic people could only get into those ads because white controlled advertising is being forced to put them there. I see the same ads and I am annoyed at the obvious targeting of a susceptible (presumably) market by corporate interests. IOW I don't like them either albeit for different reasons than you. Maybe when you can answer the question: "when will we get over it?" for yourself you won't find a need to ask it of the rest of the P&OC community.

H
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Metro DC area
4,501 posts, read 1,969,754 times
Reputation: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yes it is too bad people cant give direct answers instead of attacking those posing the question........I have noticed that seems to be a pattern. remember no one is forcing you to participate.
Agreed. And I chose to participate and note that this thread is pathetic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 09:56 AM
 
7,557 posts, read 5,822,935 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Because you feel threatened by images of ethnic people and imagine that other white people do as well, you imagine that ethnic people could only get into those ads because white controlled advertising is being forced to put them there. I see the same ads and I am annoyed at the obvious targeting of a susceptible (presumably) market by corporate interests. IOW I don't like them either albeit for different reasons than you.

H
You do know what is said about the word assume?
Your post is a beautiful illustration of the mindset regarding race from the left and speaks to exactly what this thread is about...........(Because you feel threatened by images of ethnic people) If you were standing in front of me and my family face to face, and said that line , you would realize how ridiculous it is. Because I ask a question from the politically incorrect view, you assume that I am White and threatened by non whites. Perhaps you missed the part of my previous post where I said, I cannot believe they would be doing it for PC reasons.....instead of having a grown up discussion those with your mindset , automatically go on defense and assume the person asking the question is a white racist. My point of this thread exactly.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Burnsville, Minnesota
2,627 posts, read 1,219,285 times
Reputation: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Only to you, Silas. Those ads cost a LOT of money and if you think Verizon does it out of some sense of PC then you're even TOS violation than I thought. The Occam's Razor Postulate says that the simplest, most direct, explanation for something is most always the correct one. Because you feel threatened by images of ethnic people and imagine that other white people do as well, you imagine that ethnic people could only get into those ads because white controlled advertising is being forced to put them there. I see the same ads and I am annoyed at the obvious targeting of a susceptible (presumably) market by corporate interests. IOW I don't like them either albeit for different reasons than you. Maybe when you can answer the question: "when will we get over it?" for yourself you won't find a need to ask it of the rest of the P&OC community.

H
I'm sorry to be a bit off-topic here, but I just need to tell you that all human beings belong to an ethnic group. Non-whites aren't the only ethnic people.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top