Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Now I know this is Rasmussen and they don't get many things right, like today they say that Obama has dropped to -22 approval rate, but they surely have this one right unless the number is too low. They say that 70% of Americans think Congress people are for sale, even their own Congresspersons.

Voters Strongly Believe Most in Congress Are For Sale - Rasmussen Reportsâ„¢
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
So, 70% are stupid, and the remaining 30% are too. Bill Maher was correct: Americans are stupid.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:06 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
So, 70% are stupid, and the remaining 30% are too. Bill Maher was correct: Americans are stupid.
You dont think members of Congress sell their votes for campaign contributions? You must be one of the 10% that approve of Congress...

Old 08-11-2010, 12:08 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now I know this is Rasmussen and they don't get many things right, like today they say that Obama has dropped to -22 approval rate, but they surely have this one right unless the number is too low. They say that 70% of Americans think Congress people are for sale, even their own Congresspersons.

Well duh! Who really believes campaign contributions are for charity?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:13 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:

If they are not for sale then why does the PAC in the company I just retired from make such a big deal about getting contributions so that the company's "point of view" can be "heard" on the hill?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Recently the Senate voted 97-to-0 for tougher regulations.

Now when corporations buy a Senator or Congressman....they have to get a receipt.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Quote:

I'd have to say that 70% of Congressmen/women ARE bought and paid for by corporations and their lobbyists. The voter doesn't have anyone representing THEM, corporate Amerika does.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
You didn't really mean to say that you and Maher think the people are stupid because they think that their congressmen are for sale. Maybe you better read your post again just in case.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I'd have to say that 70% of Congressmen/women ARE bought and paid for by corporations and their lobbyists. The voter doesn't have anyone representing THEM, corporate Amerika does.
I think that the voters are without because they just don't try hard enough to let those people know that their $175,000 per year jobs could so easily go to someone else who might not be so dishonest. We have to look out for ourselves since those interest groups don't care about us.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You dont think members of Congress sell their votes for campaign contributions? You must be one of the 10% that approve of Congress...
What did you read? If you read what I wrote, you most certainly failed to comprehend it.

Quote:
You didn't really mean to say that you and Maher think the people are stupid because they think that their congressmen are for sale. Maybe you better read your post again just in case.
Nope. I said, I agreed with Bill Maher that Americans are stupid. The poll proves that. The problem with my post however is, that it probably went way over your head.

This is why I called 70% stupid, and the remaining 30% stupid as well. The first group is a bunch of self-defeaters, who even accepts that money runs politics but is largely opposed to doing something about it (in the end, they end up voting for a corporate sponsor, after all). The second group thinks it doesn't.

Now tell me, which of the two group is representative of a collective stupidity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies