Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:02 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,524,876 times

Advertisements

Am I the only who thinks that using every NATO ressources available on Pakistan to help during the floods would probably winmore heart and minds than sitting on our hands and playing this cat and mouse with Talibans on the Afghan-Pakistani border?

Even the problematic tribal areas, where a lot of the insurgents come from, have been affected by the flood (around 4-5 million people!!! ).

It seems to me that now would be a good time for the West to use all its power not only for a good cause and doing what's right, but extend a helping hand to those who despise us.

Despite how tragic these floods are, seems to me like they represent a great opportunity for us to finally do something productive on this War on Terror.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,674 times
The country that should volunteer to help the most is India.

Of course, Hell would freeze over first, but the best way to mend relations would be for India to lead a recovery effort.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Apparently, the Taliban are thinking about ceasing the opportunity, in their own way:
washingtonpost.com

And of course, being as classy as ever: Pakistani Taliban: Reject Foreign Flood Aid - CBS News

Old 08-11-2010, 02:17 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLucasLongLostChin View Post
Am I the only who thinks that using every NATO ressources available on Pakistan to help during the floods would probably winmore heart and minds than sitting on our hands and playing this cat and mouse with Talibans on the Afghan-Pakistani border?

Even the problematic tribal areas, where a lot of the insurgents come from, have been affected by the flood (around 4-5 million people!!! ).

It seems to me that now would be a good time for the West to use all its power not only for a good cause and doing what's right, but extend a helping hand to those who despise us.

Despite how tragic these floods are, seems to me like they represent a great opportunity for us to finally do something productive on this War on Terror.

Thoughts?
My thought is hell no. When the very wealthy of Pakistan sits on their hands while the USA and others cough up tons of $$$ every year and we just gave them millions or was it billions., losing count. So no. They obviously still hate us even after handing them money. Time to take care of Americans first.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My thought is hell no. When the very wealthy of Pakistan sits on their hands while the USA and others cough up tons of $$$ every year and we just gave them millions or was it billions., losing count. So no. They obviously still hate us even after handing them money. Time to take care of Americans first.
I understand your point, but will it be less expensive to remain in Afghanistan forever?

I think it's worth a shot and seems like the proper thing to do anyway, regardless of the outcome.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:11 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Quote:
I understand your point, but will it be less expensive to remain in Afghanistan forever?

I think it's worth a shot and seems like the proper thing to do anyway, regardless of the outcome.
I think we all know we will be leaving Afganistan and Iraq shortly and that as predicted, a backlash of violence and oppression will begin again. The next war is going to be even harder to beat back as we can't seem to win any with the talks across the table. We certainly can't keep feeding our sons and daughters into another meat grinder like Vietnam. Where do people think the money will come from for aid to these people? We can't seem to help our own right now.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:43 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,016,720 times
Hell no, we shouldn't be helping any of them. In fact, we should completely pull out of Afghanistan and let Al-Queda move in and set up a bona-fide terrorist state. Let every terrorist in the world relocate there, then Nuke it flat from 30,000 feet.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:47 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Default Shouldn't we be helping Pakistan?

No, we want Pakistan to be as weak as possible while still staying allied with them... for the moment. Besides, we like India more. MMMM, curry...

Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
I think its been well proven that the US cannot win the hearts and minds of any Muslim country to which we give aid. Do you recall the outpouring of US aid following the Tsunami that hit Thailand and other countries? Do you recall the hate spouted off by the radical Muslims there?

I'm at the point of thinking if they want to be 3rd world, let them. We can't save everyone. If we go in we should secure their nukes, remove them, and help the people. In that order. Let the rest of the world step up with humanitarian aid. Yes, starting with India. The U.S. is broke.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,993,162 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
No. The United States should not be everybody's piggy bank. Let them take care of themselves. As proven before with other countries, such largesse does not make those people "like" us. We have plenty in our own country that need the help right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies