Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,216,996 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of good, strong people who are trying hard to 'fix' the problems we have.
Oh, I'm pretty sure none of them work for the government, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I'm black....I pass on the going back in time thing.
I understand that and I'm not even black!

Some people have the affliction I mentioned..."selective memory"....and lack of knowledge of history..... They only think that because THEY had it good EVERYBODY did....you can only shake your head....

Old 08-12-2010, 08:59 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I get in trouble here a lot because I am so ' passionate 'about all the changes going on in my nation and society.
I don't mind your passion, what I find disturbing is the gross exaggeration that borders on delusional you use to make your points. With a premise based on absurd fantasy it's quite easy to dismiss any conclusion.

We're living in tent cities? I don't, and I'll wager you don't. What "we" are you talking about what percentage of Americans do you believe live in tent cities?

Why are we allowing the entire third world to come in? Tell that to the thousands of border patrol agents working in the hot sun as I type this.

Could go on and on with your shrill hyperbole. You want to be heard try sounding rational.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,890,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Think of the country as the head of a household. His parents and grandparents worked hard and he's inherited a successful business and a large house and he has a nice family. Then imagine he starts drinking and gambling and living well beyond his means. Credit cards and IOU's can keep the bill collectors away. Then he starts doing drugs. He stops showing up for work half the time. He begins to associate with low lifes and some move into the house to take advantage of him. His business is going under, his creditors begin to harass and push him around, outsiders take over his business, his new "friends" steal his stuff and his family leaves him. That's just about where we're at as a country.
Maybe we need to hit rock bottom. We're almost there, the greatest depression the country has ever known is at best only a few years off. Yeah we'll either go back to how we were 100+ years ago and rebuild or we'll fall apart and become just a third world version of what we used to be.

Good post . Yall know I couldn't have said it better myself. haha.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're an American, and you're welcome to your opinion.

I'm not even going to go point by point, because these are your assertions on American society, some which I agree with, many of which I don't.

Thats the wonderful thing about our country, we can agree, to disagree.

I haven't heard of anyone promoting children being taught how to have sex in the class room. I have heard many say that they should be taught about safety measures that can be taken to make sure that when they have sex, its safe sex.

Thats just one point you went WILDLY off on a rant, saying that "all" parents feel the way you do. Thats just not true.

My problem with you're little rant, is that you lumped everyone into the way you think, when its clear that a very large part, even a majority on some of the issues, disagree with you. Does that mean America is terrible? No, does it mean our best days are behind us? I don't think so.

We are in trouble. We have money trouble, and we've over extended ourselves in warfare more than we should have.

What brought down every major empire the world has ever seen? Money. Rome ran out of money to pay for its soldiers to defend its huge empire. England lost its colonies because they no longer had the money to control them.

There is a very real reason why our founding fathers didn't want to be caught up in world affairs, and world warfare. Thats the reason America is in the tank, we have become an empire. We have to scale down our world wide military efforts.

Everything else is opinion.

True I do go off the deep end sometimes, according to whatever is bothering at the time I guess . but Also I'm not good at typing ,I hunt and peck so hard to write out things .

But I do know that the thing that destriyed rome wasn't just the empire, but the people got lazy, violent and immoral . So bloody special mats had to be put under the floor of the collsium to catch the blood, so immoral and they too invited in those who would eventually destroy them .

Marcus says it best ....A nation can survive it's fools ,and even the AMBITIOUS. But it cannot survive treason from within .An enemy at the gates is less formidable ,for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amonst these within the gates freely , his sly whispers rustling through all the vallys ,heard in the very halls of GOVERNMENT itself . For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims , and he wears their face and their arguments , he appeals to the baseness that lies deep within the hearts of all men . He rots the soukl of a nation ,he works secretly and unknown all night to undermine the pillows of the city ,he INFECTS THE BODY POLITIC ,SO THAT IT CAN NO LONGER RESIST . A murderer is les to fear .The traitor is the plaque .

Marcus Tullius Cicero [ ancient Roman Schlar ,statesman ,106 BC-43BC ,

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There are a lot of good, strong people who are trying hard to 'fix' the problems we have.
Oh, I'm pretty sure none of them work for the government, though.

If they did they may not last long . We need term limits .On both supreme courts and all others . Nobody should be able to literily die of old age sitting in office . Some don't even have their falculties anymore,just there to push whatever vote their told and get their drolls wiped ..

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
True I do go off the deep end sometimes, according to whatever is bothering at the time I guess . but Also I'm not good at typing ,I hunt and peck so hard to write out things .

But I do know that the thing that destriyed rome wasn't just the empire, but the people got lazy, violent and immoral . So bloody special mats had to be put under the floor of the collsium to catch the blood, so immoral and they too invited in those who would eventually destroy them .

Marcus says it best ....A nation can survive it's fools ,and even the AMBITIOUS. But it cannot survive treason from within .An enemy at the gates is less formidable ,for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amonst these within the gates freely , his sly whispers rustling through all the vallys ,heard in the very halls of GOVERNMENT itself . For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims , and he wears their face and their arguments , he appeals to the baseness that lies deep within the hearts of all men . He rots the soukl of a nation ,he works secretly and unknown all night to undermine the pillows of the city ,he INFECTS THE BODY POLITIC ,SO THAT IT CAN NO LONGER RESIST . A murderer is les to fear .The traitor is the plaque .

Marcus Tullius Cicero [ ancient Roman Schlar ,statesman ,106 BC-43BC ,

You quote something from a Roman who died hundreds of years before the fall of the Empire, and even longer if you look at the fact that the Empire split, and both sides stayed rulers of most of the known world for another hundred years or so.

Rome was immoral long before their collapse. You're indicating that the United States is there now. We haven't even made the first 300 years yet.

We're just fine. If you took half of the military budget, which is about 12.5% of our total budget (more if you count other things military related) and put that towards paying down the debt, we'd have the national debt paid of in a decade.

Europe said the same thing when we were founded, about our morals. That we had none, and that our acceptance of religion in all shapes and sizes would lead to our downfall. Well, they've been wrong so far, and ate those words when the west, had to save them from total destruction.

The United States would be fine, if we stop building and trying to maintain a global Empire.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I don't mind your passion, what I find disturbing is the gross exaggeration that borders on delusional you use to make your points. With a premise based on absurd fantasy it's quite easy to dismiss any conclusion.

We're living in tent cities? I don't, and I'll wager you don't. What "we" are you talking about what percentage of Americans do you believe live in tent cities?

Why are we allowing the entire third world to come in? Tell that to the thousands of border patrol agents working in the hot sun as I type this.

Could go on and on with your shrill hyperbole. You want to be heard try sounding rational.

You have a point ,we ALL have our personal rants here for whatever reasons .

I look back over my post and realize I need to tone it down . But I'm not alone with this .

After all this is politicle forum ! Just be glad most of us aren't drunk on top of it .

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You quote something from a Roman who died hundreds of years before the fall of the Empire, and even longer if you look at the fact that the Empire split, and both sides stayed rulers of most of the known world for another hundred years or so.

Rome was immoral long before their collapse. You're indicating that the United States is there now. We haven't even made the first 300 years yet.

We're just fine. If you took half of the military budget, which is about 12.5% of our total budget (more if you count other things military related) and put that towards paying down the debt, we'd have the national debt paid of in a decade.

Europe said the same thing when we were founded, about our morals. That we had none, and that our acceptance of religion in all shapes and sizes would lead to our downfall. Well, they've been wrong so far, and ate those words when the west, had to save them from total destruction.

The United States would be fine, if we stop building and trying to maintain a global Empire.

Do you realize you agreed with me ? We stopped paying attention and we have been fooled into wars, and other destructive ways .Right now my neck is giving m fits, but I'm sure others here have it worse .

I'm older and sometimes pain causes me to not be able to write it all out, plus I can't type,haha. Not excuse just fact .
Those who forget history or ignore it , repeat it .

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,342,306 times
Quote:
Do you realize you agreed with me ? We stopped paying attention and we have been fooled into wars, and other destructive ways .Right now my neck is giving m fits, but I'm sure others here have it worse .

I'm older and sometimes pain causes me to not be able to write it all out, plus I can't type,haha. Not excuse just fact .
Those who forget history or ignore it , repeat it .
I disagree that morality is the root cause of America's problems.

I agree, we should have never gutted our space agency, or slowed them.

I disagree that we should allow Muslims into our country, and let them practice all rights and rituals that they want, if it harms no one else.

I disagree that Rome's downfall was because of moral issues. They simply ran out of money.

I'm not sure what treason you see from within. I see lots of idiots who are supposed to be leading us, and that they are so consumed by their own self interests that they can't do what is best for the rest of us. However, American people vote for them, so surely we must realize whats going on.

We agree on a lot more than you'd think. But where we disagree, we generally strongly disagree. Thats a good thing though, and I'm American enough to realize thats your choice, and you're entitled to it.

We've been on a road to no where since the early 70's, I still wonder if this country ever really got over watergate. We seemed to have lost some innocence when that happened. What gets me, is that people back in the 1800's and early 1900's didn't trust their government either. The difference between now and then, is that people saw much less government in their daily lives.

The problem is, the Christian moral right won't back down off of their high horse, and the left won't back off of their political stance either, and both parties play that like a fiddle.

I ask my fellow citizens this.

Is gay marriage really going to hurt you, if we get through good Wall Street regulation to make sure there isn't a money pool like there was before, that caused part of this issue?

Is healthcare for every citizen in the country so important, that you're willing to bankrupt the country in order to help those who could probably help themselves?

These are the questions, and problems that seem to divide us.

And our officials are doing it again with a false 14th amendment fight. Both parties are playing football with immigration, and its disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies