U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 11:56 PM

355 posts, read 763,717 times

Advertisements

It's a sham.

Does it matter if you are Democrat or Republican?

American Politics is like a big game of tug-o-war. With roughly half of the country always tugging the liberal side, and the other half tugging the conservative side. One side may win an election and pull the rope their way for a time, but eventually it will shimmy back in the other direction.

What this means is over the long term, NOTHING THAT IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT IS EVER DONE.

Think about it. Aren't both parties really just the same thing slightly modified?

Why are our people forced into bankruptcy because of medical conditions?

Why does the government not refund social security payments that were withheld from a worker's pay to immediate family members if that worker paid into the system for decades but dies at age 59?

Why are billions of dollars pumped into the Military-Industrial complex every year, yet many of our own go hungry and sleep in the streets like animals?

The answer is simple: Pure greed and corruption.

The shameless pointing of figures, the endless name calling, and the incessant arguing by members of both parties has stymied meaningful reform and has been used to mislead, confuse, and ultimately bore the American public by becoming so ubiquitous in American politics that we consider it normal. IT IS NOT NORMAL. IT IS NOT RIGHT.

One thing is certain. Continued voting for either party, is a vote for more warfare, more corruption, more poverty, more national debt, and more of sending the USA into the abyss.

IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO TURN THINGS AROUND.

Do not gather like sheep and vote for the Politician that lies best. Do you not find it odd that out of a national population of over 300 million, when it comes time to vote for President it is usually between just two people? Are we really given a choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 AM

3,046 posts, read 5,237,203 times
Great post and thread starter. Yes, the parties are there to keep us divided. After all, the fed bankers would be in serious trouble if we got together and did away with their robbing of our nation

Old 08-12-2010, 04:22 AM

339 posts, read 273,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Actually, it is.

Unless you magically find a way to create a nationwide third party that appeals to a majority of voters, and doing so without any financial backing from corporations (as this would leave you in the same spot as the Dems and Reps - dependent on corporation money).

You simply can't raise enough money independently to have a significant impact on federal level.

The only way to actually change how things stand would be a successful class war, and that's a) not likely to happen anytime soon, b) not likely to be successful, c) perhaps not even advisable in the long run concerning the stability of your nation.

Tough luck, but democracy as you know it is nearly over (if it ever existed in the manner that was advertised).

Old 08-12-2010, 04:37 AM

22,241 posts, read 15,316,657 times
The Economy could recover very quickly. UE could get to 6-7% inside a year. If the American people saw a Congress working together on the issues, Consumer Confidence would grow and that would spur the demand for products. It is the low demand that is preventing businesses from expanding and hiring. Instead, we see a Congress that refuses to do that, for purely political reasons. Right now, it's the Repubs refusing to work and the Dems are somewhat excluding them. In the past it's been the Dems that refused and the Repubs excluding. We have seen this for a few decades, so when we are, as now, in a major economic crisis, is there any wonder why the American people are angry? If you attend a town hall, no matter who you are listening to, blast them. If it's a Repub, let them know you do not want obstruction. If it's a Dem, let them know you want Repubs included in the process. All the town halls meeting will be attempts to fire up the respective bases, don't let them do that. Let them know, no matter which Party, it is they, that you are angry at.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:45 AM

34,692 posts, read 33,704,884 times
Quote:
It's a sham.

When I moved to a state I do not live in now, I registered independent in the hopes that I would get no mountains of political junk mail. Instead, I got it from both parties, so I declared a party affiliation/re-registered Republican to cut the junk mail in half. I especially dislike each party's surveys with the loaded questions that they send with a request for a campaign contribution. I call it the "pretend we care what you think" solicitations. I once sent back a survey with a letter that I wasn't going to send them any money or answer their stinkin' questions because my issues weren't even on their radar screen. It seemed like I got even more junk mail after that. Now it doesn't even come into my home but goes unopened straight to the trash can by the mailboxes. If I want to donate money it will be to a particular candidate not to a party. I'm not sending the GOP money so they can give it to a bunch of RINOs. There's a party difference in campaign promises but not much of a difference in action once they get elected. I call it Capitol Hill cooties.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 AM

8,233 posts, read 11,277,437 times
I couildn't agree more. Our 2 parties are basically the same thing. The last election there was no difference between McCain and Obama. If it were the 60's Obama wouyld be seen as a hawk based on his actions towards war. Seems to me what use to be a Rep is closer to the Dem now.

Reps like to think they are fiscally conservative but their actions are simply not that.. The parties just aren't any different. They are both run by the concerns of banks and business and the largest dollar wins their support. Business contributes to both parties so they will hedge their bet and always win.

Politicians accept a job that pays a couple hundred K yet they become millionaires... not sure how that works... Can anyone tell me why it is worth it to spend $30M or more for a job that pays less than 500k?

Am I the only one that thinks some force selects who the candidates will be? They never seemto be who the people really like or agree with.

Things don't add up yet the masses never notice or care.

I would love to see a party come up with the platform of national debt elimination and eradication of the federal reserve. they would have my support.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:07 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,069,710 times
I agree, both parties are in the same tank. They both use fake divisive issues to get their "base" up and riled up for votes.

The latest is the immigration issues, and the 14th amendment repeal, something that will never happen.

I urge everyone to not vote for the guy you know. If they have a R or a D behind their name, do not vote for them.

The reason for voting for a party person is "I don't want to throw away my vote". I'm telling you that if you vote for a D or an R, you've already thrown away your vote.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 8 days ago)

10,518 posts, read 6,209,999 times
Quote:
It's a sham.

American Politics is like a big game of tug-o-war. With roughly half of the country always tugging the liberal side, and the other half tugging the conservative side. One side may win an election and pull the rope their way for a time, but eventually it will shimmy back in the other direction.

What this means is over the long term, NOTHING THAT IS ACTUALLY IMPORTANT IS EVER DONE.

Think about it. Aren't both parties really just the same thing slightly modified?

Why are our people forced into bankruptcy because of medical conditions?

Why does the government not refund social security payments that were withheld from a worker's pay to immediate family members if that worker paid into the system for decades but dies at age 59?

Why are billions of dollars pumped into the Military-Industrial complex every year, yet many of our own go hungry and sleep in the streets like animals?

The answer is simple: Pure greed and corruption.

The shameless pointing of figures, the endless name calling, and the incessant arguing by members of both parties has stymied meaningful reform and has been used to mislead, confuse, and ultimately bore the American public by becoming so ubiquitous in American politics that we consider it normal. IT IS NOT NORMAL. IT IS NOT RIGHT.

One thing is certain. Continued voting for either party, is a vote for more warfare, more corruption, more poverty, more national debt, and more of sending the USA into the abyss.

Do not gather like sheep and vote for the Politician that lies best. Do you not find it odd that out of a national population of over 300 million, when it comes time to vote for President it is usually between just two people? Are we really given a choice?

I appreciate it when someone posts their own opinion rather than ‘cut and paste’ or link to something written by someone else and then stand back like they did something clever. May your reputation increase!

I generally agree. After watching politics since approximately 1964 I have become convinced that politicians are out for power, prestige and money (and women too, but that is part of power).

Again and again I have watched a person of modest financial means be elected to the US House or Senate, serve for a decade or two, and then leave office worth millions of dollars. These birds know how to feather their nests. After leaving office they can add to their net worth by becoming lobbyist.

And, as everyone knows, the average person thinks that ‘the rascals should be thrown out of office’: except, of course, for their own rascal whom brings home the pork.

Anyway, good post.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:49 PM

355 posts, read 763,717 times
Default Typo Fix

Quote:
The shameless pointing of figures, the endless name calling, and the incessant arguing...
It is supposed to read, "The shameless pointing of fingers..."

Old 08-12-2010, 07:10 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,804,407 times
Regular people don't have and never had much voice in the national political scene. Money, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is what decides elections; $$$$$$$ is what influences policy and law. If you aren't in the top financial tier your voice is but a whisper in D.C. It's nothing new. It's always been that way.

Regular people have a voice in local elections, but the higher the office the less influence we have. It's a sham. The politicians know it's a sham, but they string people along because they must, at all costs, continue the sham by making people believe in the "American Way".....whatever that is.

It's all an illusion.

If you don't have millions or billions you have very little say in what happens. Just live your life, be glad you aren't starving or sleeping on the street, and and enjoy your freedom. Politicians aren't going to change your life, nor do they give a rats you know what about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies