Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:47 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I don't think they bare a resemblence - at least here in Oklahoma. You only get benefits for a certain period of time (although I think you can apply for an extension) but you have to be actively looking for a job, recording every interview you have and turn it in to the unemployment office. It's not just sitting on your ass while the govt. gives you free money. You can't collect if you quit or were fired for specific reasons; (i.e. stealing from the company, sexual harrassment, etc.)
It is the extensions over a year I am against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
What is wrong with social welfare?
Would you people prefer social degradation?
Because we are moving toward a "nanny state".

Good parents have to say NO at times.

Our goverment needs to start saying NO.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
I don't think they bare a resemblence - at least here in Oklahoma. You only get benefits for a certain period of time (although I think you can apply for an extension) but you have to be actively looking for a job, recording every interview you have and turn it in to the unemployment office. It's not just sitting on your ass while the govt. gives you free money. You can't collect if you quit or were fired for specific reasons; (i.e. stealing from the company, sexual harrassment, etc.)
Do you know how easy it is to just go on monster.com and start applying ?
Or any of the retailers for that matter.

There..made your three applications for a job per week.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:00 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,182,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Because we are moving toward a "nanny state".

Good parents have to say NO at times.

Our goverment needs to start saying NO.
The average American doesn't know his ass from his forehead. Probably needs a nanny. Have you participated in our educational system?

Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The average American doesn't know his ass from his forehead. Probably needs a nanny. Have you participated in our educational system?
Yes, I went to high school....why???

Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Welfare you never contribute anything but still get it while unemployment insurance you pay into and then get insurance coverage when you need it. They're completely different.
Welfare money doesn't grow on trees. If you have ever paid taxes then you have helped pay into the welfare system.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Unemployment is like an insurance policy that you pay for through payroll deductions in case you lose your job, its only temporary so if you are going to squander that financial safety net by just sitting around its ultimately not going to be in your best interest, Up here in Canada you only qualify for Unemployment if you get laid off,quitting or getting fired automatically eliminates you from the program'
Welfare on the other hand is a total government hand out that some will abuse and become a career recipient, a veritable social parasite,i think the requirements for welfare should exclude any able bodied individual that doesnt have extenuating circumstances,Fortunately most people have more personal integrity and pride and would rather work than live off the paltry pittance that welfare pays.
But 99 weeks and more is not very temporary at all - and once you get past 26 weeks, it's not likely you or your employee had paid as much in as you're using.

Once it becomes long term, it's a welfare handout program.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
When one is receiving back what they have already paid in it is not welfare. They earned it, the government took it out of their paychecks, and when unemployed they get it back (without interest). That is not welfare.
And it is certainly welfare when it's the federal government paying for it. It would not be welfare if ONLY the amount you and your former employer paid into it is what you could take out - but it's going a whole lot further than that when people who worked only a few years and their employers paid little in can go on for years without ever working again.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:20 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,733 times
Whether unemployment is welfare or not, I am undecided. I do know from being on unemployment, that it is an extremely flawed system that in no way foster eployment. For example, let's say you get offered a hostess job at a local restaurant part-time. Well, the people who work part-time can lose their unemployment benefits. You can't support a family on a part-time salary so many folks don't take part-time jobs. It would actually be less costly for our government if people could work part-time while on unemployment as it is easier to find work when you are employed.

Then, you have people who would love to change careers and probably need to change careers because they are stuck in a field with little or no hiring. Did you know that if you attend college, you can lose your unemployment? You actually have to get it approved, take online classes, or take classes at night to avoid losing your unemployment. If a person takes nursing classes which are frequently offered during the day, then they risk losing benefits. Many with families don't want to risk losing benefits, because they want to feed their kids.

Then you have the issue with financial aid. People without degrees may have to wait months to be approved for WIA training. People with college degrees don't qualify for any help even if they are in fields with little or no hiring unless they wish to add to existing student loan debt or obtain private loans.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Any 99ers contributing to this topic? maybe you'd care to explain how in 99 weeks you havent found a job.Seems every one here is happily employed and has no idea what its like to be on the other side.
I wonder how many people on this topic who are criticizing the unemployment system would be first in the unemployment line if their jobs got cut, and then what are you going to think about people calling you a lazy good for nothing lay about when you are trying your hardest to find another job?.
Reality can change your perspective real fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies