Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
Whether unemployment is welfare or not, I am undecided. I do know from being on unemployment, that it is an extremely flawed system that in no way foster eployment. For example, let's say you get offered a hostess job at a local restaurant part-time. Well, the people who work part-time can lose their unemployment benefits. You can't support a family on a part-time salary so many folks don't take part-time jobs. It would actually be less costly for our government if people could work part-time while on unemployment as it is easier to find work when you are employed.

Then, you have people who would love to change careers and probably need to change careers because they are stuck in a field with little or no hiring. Did you know that if you attend college, you can lose your unemployment? You actually have to get it approved, take online classes, or take classes at night to avoid losing your unemployment. If a person takes nursing classes which are frequently offered during the day, then they risk losing benefits. Many with families don't want to risk losing benefits, because they want to feed their kids.

Then you have the issue with financial aid. People without degrees may have to wait months to be approved for WIA training. People with college degrees don't qualify for any help even if they are in fields with little or no hiring unless they wish to add to existing student loan debt or obtain private loans.
Well said. It's an "all or nothing" system that doesn't offer any transition benefits while you try to get your life back together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 05:51 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,279,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any 99ers contributing to this topic? maybe you'd care to explain how in 99 weeks you havent found a job.Seems every one here is happily employed and has no idea what its like to be on the other side.
I wonder how many people on this topic who are criticizing the unemployment system would be first in the unemployment line if their jobs got cut, and then what are you going to think about people calling you a lazy good for nothing lay about when you are trying your hardest to find another job?.
Reality can change your perspective real fast.
I am self employed and NEVER can draw.

So, I for one will not be in line.

BTW, where did anyone say they would cut unemployment completely???

Old 08-12-2010, 06:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,161,239 times
I dont remember implying that any one was going to cut unemployment completely,or whether any one would be in favor of such a cut

Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,488,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Do you know how easy it is to just go on monster.com and start applying ?
Or any of the retailers for that matter.

There..made your three applications for a job per week.
When I received unemployment in CO, the requirement was three in-person contacts per week, not three job apps per week.

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
H. L. Mencken

Old 08-12-2010, 07:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,499,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any 99ers contributing to this topic? maybe you'd care to explain how in 99 weeks you havent found a job.Seems every one here is happily employed and has no idea what its like to be on the other side.
I wonder how many people on this topic who are criticizing the unemployment system would be first in the unemployment line if their jobs got cut, and then what are you going to think about people calling you a lazy good for nothing lay about when you are trying your hardest to find another job?.
Reality can change your perspective real fast.
I've been unemployed a few times (as recently as Jan-March of this year). I never collected unemployment.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:05 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,274,439 times
I've collected unemployment this summer for the first time and feel not so much as one shred of guilt. I will most likely extend my benefits as long as I can also. I have worked at all the bottom feeder jobs-- call center, retail, I've even pushed people all over the airport in wheelchairs. I could care less if some of you judge me and say it's the same thing as being on welfare. Why don't you mind your own damn business you fascist pig and leave me the hell alone?

Old 08-12-2010, 08:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Yes these are all good points. I am not criticizing anyone who needs welfare or unemployment, but I do believe anyone who gets it for a long time is not really trying and is abusing the system.
There are time limits on how long people can receive welfare, there used to not be but that changed in the late 90's, and there are extenuating circumstances such as illness or things like that.
I know a lot of people do not like to see UE as welfare, because welfare has a certain stigma attached to it. But it does seem as though it is becoming more like it, as I stated before I have seen people who just receive it and do not spend much time at all looking for work or absolutely will not take a job they feel they are too good for.
Personally I do not know how it is possible to live on it, here in AZ the max a person can get from UE is 265 a week-if that-I may be wrong-but it's a pittance compared to what one would make working, even if a person only makes say $8/hour it's a little more than UE. And welfare is even worse, even if a person gets housing and food stamps-someone can only do so much with $$400 /month which is basically what a family of 4 on welfare get in AZ.
You should post this on the Unemployment thread and see what kind of response you get....LOL.

I see your point, I did a post on a thread from someone who wants to know if it UE benefits will be extended past 99 weeks.

I asked when do you think enough is enough, they didn't like that.

There are people who are taking advantage of the never ending UE benefits. It used to be you got 26 weeks max and then you were dropped.

If someone knows they can get up to 99 weeks vs. 26 weeks there is less urgency to find a job.

I'm sure many people are doing their best to find employment, but there are a lot who are taking advantage, in some states UE benefits pay up $500 a week, that is not bad money.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,650,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And every insurance policy has a limit.
AIG was Insurance we bailed them out for a Trillion dollars

Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,500,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
Worst economy since the depression, no job growth in a decade, middle class is all but gone, 2% of the population owns most of the wealth, and some you are pissed about people on unemployment. I'm sure most of you are fine with spending more on the military than the rest of the world combined does and endless drug/terror wars all being waged with billions of our dollars.
Some people can't understand unless they have been there.

I am sure they love getting their unemployment checks and getting collection calls, probably already had their cars repo'd. Waiting for the house to get foreclosed. That is the life.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,577,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Unemployment is INSURANCE, you pay in when you are working and collect when you are not.
Yes and insurance has limits.

Auto insurance even when you have an accident that isn't your fault has limits.

Example your car it totaled in a crash you didn't cause, you will get the blue book value and a rental car.

However, the insurance company doesn't say well drive around in the rental car for as long as like on us while you shop for a replacement car.

In most cases they pay for a week.

Same thing with medical insurance, they will pay for a hospital stay, but not a minute longer when the doctor discharges you.

UE benefits have turned into this never ending payday for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies