Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:47 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Any 99ers contributing to this topic? maybe you'd care to explain how in 99 weeks you havent found a job.Seems every one here is happily employed and has no idea what its like to be on the other side.
I wonder how many people on this topic who are criticizing the unemployment system would be first in the unemployment line if their jobs got cut, and then what are you going to think about people calling you a lazy good for nothing lay about when you are trying your hardest to find another job?.
Reality can change your perspective real fast.
You might want to visit the Unemployment thread, there are people who admit they have been offered jobs but it is less money or not in the field they were working before.

One guy was offered a job but it required working weekends, after 18 months of being unemployed he was debating whether or not he should take it. He ended up not taking it.

Sorry, but if UE benefits were cut off after 6 months do you think this guy would even be worried about Saturdays?

After someone hasn't worked in over a year that becomes their "new norm" and with a check coming in with extension after extension why knock yourself out looking for work.

Not saying everyone is like this, but there are plenty of people taking full advantage because they know they can get benefits for a year or more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:54 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,413 times
Default Is collecting Unemployment akin to welfare?

No I don't believe it is. Unemployment benefits are given to those who have been laid off from a job they worked at. Too many people are ready to criticize those who have not found a job quick enough. You don't know their situation, they may be 60 years old, have worked at their position for most of their lives and most employers today want to hire younger employees who they can hire for much less pay, even thou the older person might take the pay cut just to have a job. You also don't know the area where some people live and how scarce jobs are in there area, so don't be so quick to say all people on unemployment for long periods of time are lazy, you have to look at their circumstances first!!

As far as welfare goes, yes it is a privelage! But what about that young girl who was promised marriage by her boyfriend who ends up leaving her pregnant and all alone. Her family may not support her decision to keep her baby and turn their backs on her. She may need the states help until she gets back on her feet and live a productive life. Or maybe the single mother who's working but her child is born ill and has to quit her job and go on welfare to care for her sick child. Not all women want to be on welfare, but some have no choice. Just be thankful we have these programs to help those in need at times when they truely need the help. There will always be those who will abuse the system and that is truely wrong because it messes it up for those who need it for the right reasons.
Stop, look at individual situations before you judge.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
No I don't believe it is. Unemployment benefits are given to those who have been laid off from a job they worked at. Too many people are ready to criticize those who have not found a job quick enough. You don't know their situation, they may be 60 years old, have worked at their position for most of their lives and most employers today want to hire younger employees who they can hire for much less pay, even thou the older person might take the pay cut just to have a job. You also don't know the area where some people live and how scarce jobs are in there area, so don't be so quick to say all people on unemployment for long periods of time are lazy, you have to look at their circumstances first!!

As far as welfare goes, yes it is a privelage! But what about that young girl who was promised marriage by her boyfriend who ends up leaving her pregnant and all alone. Her family may not support her decision to keep her baby and turn their backs on her. She may need the states help until she gets back on her feet and live a productive life. Or maybe the single mother who's working but her child is born ill and has to quit her job and go on welfare to care for her sick child. Not all women want to be on welfare, but some have no choice. Just be thankful we have these programs to help those in need at times when they truely need the help. There will always be those who will abuse the system and that is truely wrong because it messes it up for those who need it for the right reasons.
Stop, look at individual situations before you judge.
But also realize that not all are victims with sad stories as you tell.
Geeze..I have my own SIL gaming the system for that UE check.
I can tell you she definitely doesn't deserve more than the standard 26 weeks.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Unemployment has limits. When those limits are reached, you "run out"

Employers pay into unemployment "insurance".

Yes - it is akin to welfare

Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,645,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrome View Post
Yeah, hey 55 year old guy who had all the jobs shipped out of town, you worked a factory belt since you were 18 and dont have many other skills, go work at Subway, you loser. OP is mad at the worker and fine with the corporations who screw them, OP is either wealthy or stupid, probably both.
LOL boy have you ever got me wrong.

The point I am trying to make is why people should be able to continue getting UE after a long stretch if there were jobs offered them but they just did not want them for whatever reason (less money, have to work 2nd shift, etc).
People who get welfare get criticized all the time. How does anyone know that they did not work and pay taxes before they had to get welfare?
I'm not ashamed to admit I had to get welfare a long time ago before I put myself through college at 30 while being a single parent, and now I work 2 jobs at a time just to live decently and not have to deal with the system. Not a lot of people will do that. But I do not judge people who are truly having a hard time getting a job or trying to better their lives. That's IF they are really trying!
And yes there is plenty of blame to go around....there are the lazy people, greedy companies, scumbag politicians and special interest groups.
If we want to do better it truly is up to all of us-we certainly cannot bit*** and complain about the system forever because it's never going to fix things.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:08 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Never found a need for it, but then I get in a fighting frenzy when someone tries to pay for my dinner.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I've been unemployed a few times (as recently as Jan-March of this year). I never collected unemployment.
Why would you not collect money that you are entitled to?

Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
AIG was Insurance we bailed them out for a Trillion dollars
LOL...I was against that too.

Believe me, they will not pay you more than a policy is worth.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Why would you not collect money that you are entitled to?
Explain the process of how unemployment is paid for.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:42 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Explain the process of how unemployment is paid for.
Employer contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies