Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

555 posts, read 877,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudvoterofObama View Post
Are you saying my child isn't being raised properly b/c mom and dad don't live in the same house? I find that very offensive. My child is more well behaved than those who don't come from "broken families." He's also extremely smart - got to start Kindergarten a year and a half early. So, how is he suffering??
Why don't you ask him if he would prefer you and daddy to live together? Many children in broken homes begin acting out to express their distaste for their parents breakup. That is a fact. Single contrary anecdotes prove nothing about the wisdom of single parent households in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 09:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
So would those here posting in defense of single mothers claim that teens are not influenced by the behavior of celebrities and often try to copy it? That some teen girls who see celebrity single mothers glamorize pregnancy and think how cool it would be to be a sinlge mother too while too immature to understand they, as teens, cannot afford to raise the child alone?

Would single mothers claim that teen pregnancy is not a problem in the US?

CDC Data & Statistics | Feature: Teen Birth Rates Rose Again in 2007, Declined in 2008

The Hispanic and non-Hispanic black teen pregnancy rates are three times higher than the non-Hispanic white teen pregnancy rate.(2)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Well at least he picked a real, live person to denigrate instead of a sitcom character.

Dan Quayle vs. Murphy Brown - TIME

Whatever...Quaye had the last laugh.....he was right. The black community in particular has suffered greatly from lack of fathers.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellobiafra View Post
LOL. Leave it to a silly liberal to equate O'Reilly's comment to him wanting women to be beaten while staying in abusive relationships. There is no one saying anything like that. The reality is, to anyone who doesn't spend their days, fingers on a keyboard, just waiting to slam FOX analysts on last night's shows, is that less than one percent of all single mothers are in a financial position like Jennifer Aniston. Most, unfortunately, must make a decision to either exist on public/family assistance so they can spend time with their kids, or work one, sometimes two jobs while someone else is raising their children.

Are there exceptions? Of course. But those exceptions are not the majority. I didn't see the show, and we have only the whole TWO quotes from this gripping (LOL) article from THR, but the idea that single parenthood is a less than optimal situation is of course real and true. Having a silly hump like Aniston telling the young women of the country that there is nothing wrong with single motherhood is not responsible in any way, and a perfect example of some rich twit being completely disconnected from the reality of the common person.

I guess it's lucky for her though, that there are a bunch of people like you to support her ridiculous drivel....
silly liberal? lol.. how bout this for silly liberal...
where there's a single mother.. there's a single father out there not doing his share of raising and supporting the kids.. the issue is NOT single mothers.. it's parents not looking after their children. Everyone likes to point the finger at single moms.. they're the ones doing what it takes to take care of the kids..instead our conservative society likes to focus on the woman being single.. and doesn't properly address the entire issue.. that for every struggling single mother out there.. there's a piece of sh*t father out there..
single mom wouldn't be on welfare, if the father paid child support and helped out like he should.
Don't sit here and insult everyone's intelligence by making being single the issue.. because it's not.. it's parents not being parents in more cases than not.. it's men not being fathers!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
I wonder why he chose Jennifer Anniston's movie...didn't J-Lo this exact same movie out a few months ago?

Oh nvm he was talking about her comments..
Quote:
.While promoting "The Switch" earlier this week, Aniston had said that women don't need men to start a family or be good mothers.
well i agree with half of her statement; women don't need a man to be good mothers.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:45 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Always nice to hear a positive. Good for you and your family. (this issue isn't about you)
I agree, it's not about me, but it really pinches a nerve in me when people try to say something is wrong or abnormal just because they are ignorant on said topic.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:47 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,534,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Why don't you ask him if he would prefer you and daddy to live together? Many children in broken homes begin acting out to express their distaste for their parents breakup. That is a fact. Single contrary anecdotes prove nothing about the wisdom of single parent households in general.
I have asked him this before, and he doesn't ever want it to be that way. This is all he's ever known, so to him it's normal and to me as well. Do you really think sacrificing personal happiness is really best for the kids? How is that better? Don't you think you'd be a better parent if you were happy with your life as opposed to miserable?

Last edited by proudvoterofObama; 08-12-2010 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-12-2010, 10:02 AM

402 posts, read 852,989 times
Default Broken Homes

I find it strange that some here seem to be denouncing the problem of broken homes as not being an issue. What is happening, particularly in the black community, is sad. It's sad when a teenage girl gets pregnant and the biological father runs away. I give those women credit for keeping the baby and doing their best to raise them. I don't, however, look at a situation like that and say "What's the big deal? She's a woman, she can handle it all by herself." There are plenty of successful children from single mother households who grow up to do great things and aren't held back. It is a fact though, that children raised in a nuclear family household are more likely to have a healthy childhood to succeed as an adult. So I'm not saying a single mother shouldn't be allowed to have children. But I do agree with Bill that coming out and saying that the fatherless epidemic in America isn't a problem is not a healthy approach to the issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
single mothers, homosexual marriage, the schools, TV, OMG we're ruining society!!!
why can't we just go back to the days where women stayed in abusive relationships and put makup on their bruises, and homosexuals stayed in the closet and married, the schools followed church teachings, tv was leave it to beaver, and everything improper was swept under the rug as if it didn't exist?? LETS have those days again...
I'm not passing judgement on anyone, but the evidence certainly suggests that overall it's preferable to have two parents. That does not mean that there are not wonderful single mothers and fathers and miserable couples raising kids, but the data is pretty clear on the general trends.

As for your second point, it's clearly a strawman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you can't legislate morality.. but you can talk sh*t about people and what they do.. unfortunately today nobody cares what your self righteous opinion is anymore...
We legislate morality all the time. That's a common talking point, but most, if not all, of our laws are the legislation of morality. That becomes an issue when the population is fairly evenly split on the issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
As log as they can support their children I really don't care. But I still don't beleive that one good parents ois as good as two good parents. She seems to hae made some rather anti-men satements it seems lately. But then agian she is in the movie business which is pretty rough o any relationship it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies